Options

EURO 2012:Group D:Ukraine v England -19/06- Live on ITV1/HD/5live/Talksport/Absolute

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    absorbing game all round, england were well worth their victory IMO, and eally didn't think ukraine were going to score in the second half
  • Options
    SRWSRW Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I reallyliked the england team as in the players in general as well was around 1998 2000 and over the years they have seeminglygot above themselves and now I don'tcare for half of the members of the team and don't think much of them as people either. I can't support that.

Spain or Germany are who I enjoy watching play as of present so a victory for them is what I'd rather see.
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hume wrote: »
    This probably the best passing English side I've seen. Certainly the most comfortable on the ball and yet the performances are coming in for a lot of criticism. When are people going to wake up and realise we've improved from the last world cup and have almost moved on from the Lampard generation.

I assume this is an attempt at humour because if you are serious you need to get back on your medication.

Any fool who watches games regularly could see that we struggled tonight. It was a backs to the wall struggle for the majority of the game and we got sliced apart on more than one occasion. A better finishing side than Ukraine would have beaten us comfortably tonight. I imagine Italy will be relishing playing us.

As to our passing game I assume you are referring to the short passes between our defenders and midfielders before one or other hits a hopeful long ball when inevitably we lose possession.

This current England squad is one pf the worst I have witnessed in the last 45 years. The influx of foreign players and Coaches was hoped to raise the technical abilities of English (British) players but seems to have had the opposite effect. What' s even more worrying is that "English" players now only account for some 41% of premier league players.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you going off England for whatever reason to justify your 'LOL England are rubbish' posts; what does that have to with this alleged charade of patriotism? It wouldn't just be another empty jab now I trust.
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    I assume this is an attempt at humour because if you are serious you need to get back on your medication.

Any fool who watches games regularly could see that we struggled tonight. It was a backs to the wall struggle for the majority of the game and we got sliced apart on more than one occasion. A better finishing side than Ukraine would have beaten us comfortably tonight. I imagine Italy will be relishing playing us.

As to our passing game I assume you are referring to the short passes between our defenders and midfielders before one or other hits a hopeful long ball when inevitably we lose possession.

This current England squad is one pf the worst I have witnessed in the last 45 years. The influx of foreign players and Coaches was hoped to raise the technical abilities of English (British) players but seems to have had the opposite effect. What' s even more worrying is that "English" players now only account for some 41% of premier league players.

Agreed /

Incidentally , 41% !!??

I would have thought it was a lot lower than that , blimey I am really surprised at that %.
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delete
  • Options
    sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,286
    Forum Member
    A workmanlike performance from England tonight - pretty solid at the back (apart from the 'offside goal'), and looking capable of frustrating Italy in the QF. Not a great deal going forward, although five different goalscorers is a positive (including four of the attacking players).

Interesting to see that out of the 8 Quarter Finalists, only Germany won their opening game - in fact more lost the first game than won it! (Czechs, Portugal).
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Schevchenko just said he was retiring after another friendly Ukraine game on MOTD.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ukraine were unlucky not to get a draw, some of their play was great to watch. I felt they would be dangerous as long as the score stayed level, but to be fair to them they kept on even after Rooney scored.
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I bet if England had been eliminated tonight through a Rooney goal being disallowed, we wouldn't be hearing the same thing from the ITV panel.....I can see how the offside was missed, as it happened earlier in the run up to the goal and was not the final through ball.

The offside player was the one that the ball went to, and he was at least a yard offside, there was no excuse for missing it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    The offside player was the one that the ball went to, and he was at least a yard offside, there was no excuse for missing it.

True. In this case, two wrongs came to a right.
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    You have the option of changing the commentry via the Red Button.

However it switches from HD to SD for some reason so I stick to the Beeb commentary.
  • Options
    planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Couldn't argue with anything you've said. The Premier League has become an International Television League based in England and stuffed full of foreign players.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    England rid their luck a little last night with the contested goal line incident and defended well. But I feel they will need to show more attacking intent if they really want to stand a chance of beating Italy in the QFs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hume wrote: »
    This probably the best passing English side I've seen. Certainly the most comfortable on the ball and yet the performances are coming in for a lot of criticism. When are people going to wake up and realise we've improved from the last world cup and have almost moved on from the Lampard generation.

Flipping heck....what game were you watching last night :eek:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Platini was "secretly" hoping for a goal-line incident such as this where the 3rd official calls it correctly either way as justification for not allowing goal line technology.

I'm sure he's not too happy today if that's the case.
  • Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Weave done it" ? wtf?
    I saw another redtop headline very similar as well. Is this seriously the best the media can do?

It's the lowest common denominator all the time. What should have been about England progressing from the group is now a story about Wayne Rooney heading the ball after his hair transplant.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Platini was "secretly" hoping for a goal-line incident such as this where the 3rd official calls it correctly either way as justification for not allowing goal line technology.

I'm sure he's not too happy today if that's the case.

You read something that portrayed Platini as being unhappy about something that benefited England?

Whoever wrote it has a masters in bullshit.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an ok performance, we rode our luck, but then you need that to get far in a tournament, well, we will anyway.

Did we think we would top the group? Not on your nelly. Roy has done pretty well seeing he only had a month or something to prepare and had a fair few injuries. There seems to be a really camaraderie going in between the players, didn't see any of that in SA. So that is a positive thing.

We have Italy next, who knows what will happen. I am most certainly not now thinking we will win the whole thing but at least we are still in it, just going to take it one game at a time.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be just like england to win the euros with what is a poor team compared to ones in previous years. last nights performance wasn`t great but they did enough. Apart from the goal rooney didn`t play great which was understandable considering it was is first game.

I do think we can beat italy but germany will be a lot tougher. they for me are playing the better football. spain were made to look good against ireland mainly because ireland were so poor. Unless they improve which we know they can then i think this euros is wide open.
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    We won the group i'm happy.

Milner must be dropped for the next game , he isn't even average he is below that. How has he even been picked ? i have never seen him have a good game for England or Man City .

He played ok for villa before we sold him.
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even if I wasn't watching the England games, I would know they were playing well from the amount of people criticising the team.
    When we play abject football, supporters are looking for anything to justify the performance. "We were missing Lampard and Cole", "Gerrard is playing with a knock", "Rooney's just returned and needs a few games to get back to his best". None of these excuses have been raised for the reason I mentioned.

You're right to say we struggled, but much of that is down to having no outlet for counter attacks due to Milner's presence on the right and Ashley Young constant covering of the left back position, while Cole goes off on an adventure.

I was happy to see us pass the ball under pressure at the back, even if it resulted in a long pass up field. For me those long passes aren't the hit and hope of yesteryear but well timed efforts which seem to trouble defences and regularly find their man.

It's time to confess: England can play.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Weave done it" ? wtf?
    I saw another redtop headline very similar as well. Is this seriously the best the media can do?

It's the lowest common denominator all the time. What should have been about England progressing from the group is now a story about Wayne Rooney heading the ball after his hair transplant.

"MANE ROONEY'S A WINNER"

or

"SHAM-POO ENGLAND EFFORT"

would have been better :o
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we lost..

Dire-follicle England
  • Options
    stej86stej86 Posts: 921