Options

Six small meals a day to lose weight is a MYTH ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Fewer, larger meals key to weight loss?
June 25th, 2013
11:09 AM ET

Fewer, larger meals key to weight loss?
You've probably heard that eating multiple small meals throughout the day is a good way to stave off hunger and keep your metabolism revved up while trying to lose weight. But a new study could change your diet strategy.

Eating two large meals early and skipping dinner may lead to more weight loss than eating six smaller meals throughout the day, research presented at the American Diabetes Association Scientific Sessions conference this week in Chicago suggests.

"Both experimental and human studies strongly support the positive effects of intermittent fasting," lead study author Dr. Hana Kahleova told CNN

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/25/fewer-larger-meals-key-to-weight-loss/?hpt=hp_bn13

New research says it's better to eat larger, fewer meals. Is the "six small meals" doctrine a lie propagated by supplement companies so you can buy their "meal replacement and protein" products?

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've discovered the secret of losing weight. I'm ready to share it with the world.
    Don't eat and drink crap and take regular exercise.
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've discovered the secret of losing weight. I'm ready to share it with the world.

Such a basic concept and yet people still try and make these pathetic fad diets to justify their laziness.

- Water
    - Fruits
    - Green Veg
    - Wholemeal Bread/Pasta
    - Lean Chicken/Beef
    - Salmon/Tuna
    - Nuts

The 7 key things that should be a part of everyday diet, that's all you need to know, coupled with regular exercise.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on the eat less and exercise more diet atm. I've tried loads of others but i have high hopes for this one. fingers crossed.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a basic concept and yet people still try and make these pathetic fad diets to justify their laziness.

- Water
    - Fruits
    - Green Veg
    - Wholemeal Bread/Pasta
    - Lean Chicken/Beef
    - Salmon/Tuna
    - Nuts

The 7 key things that should be a part of everyday diet, that's all you need to know, coupled with regular exercise.

That's a great food list for staying at a healthy weight, but not brilliant for losing weight steadily, except in smaller quantities.

I'm a naturally balanced eater, but for reasons I won't go into here, I had a bad diet and poor exercise regime on and off for two years. Just going back to my healthy diet after my life settled down again didn't result in significant weight loss. Weight loss is much harder than weight gain because our bodies simply aren't naturally geared to it.

I follow the 5:2 diet now and I've had good success with it, where I didn't with just eating a healthy diet daily. If it's working for somebody and isn't dangerous, why knock it? I might also add that the added benefits have been more energy, fewer dieting lapses and skin back to how it was 10 years ago, minus the spots!

Successful weight loss is more about finding the easiest way for everyone to do the same thing - eat less and move more. Fasting 2 days a week and eating normally and exercising on the others is what clicks for me.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on the I'm-so-busy-there's-no-time-to-eat-lunch-so-don't-bother-buying-any regime.

Six small meals probably depends on the size of them, but people tell me this 5:2 fasting thing works very well. So do deadlines.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with the story is that they're verging on creating a fad diet of their own, the "eat two large meals a day" diet. Granted, that's pretty much how most people eat anyway, so it's not a huge switch, but using science to try "prove" some rigid eating structure "works" will often lead to a fad diet.

Diet research is also annoying in that they often compare people following rigid diet x to people following the Standard Western Diet. You would struggle to invent a diet that wouldn't look good in comparison to the diet that's making the nation obese. They rarely test fad diets against any common sense diet, so it's usually "eat 1200 calories a day, except for days with a T in them" vs. "shove as many Big Macs, crisp packets and chocolate bars down your throat as you want". Never "eat 1200 calories a day, except for days with a T in them" vs. "over the course of a week eat roughly the number of calories you burn".

It's ridiculous how much time humans spend thinking about eating. No other animal is putting this much thought into how they eat, yet we're the overweight unhealthy ones. I think people really do over think it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    How about cabbage soup?
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geiger wrote: »
    The problem with the story is that they're verging on creating a fad diet of their own, the "eat two large meals a day" diet. Granted, that's pretty much how most people eat anyway, so it's not a huge switch, but using science to try "prove" some rigid eating structure "works" will often lead to a fad diet.

Diet research is also annoying in that they often compare people following rigid diet x to people following the Standard Western Diet. You would struggle to invent a diet that wouldn't look good in comparison to the diet that's making the nation obese. They rarely test fad diets against any common sense diet, so it's usually "eat 1200 calories a day, except for days with a T in them" vs. "shove as many Big Macs, crisp packets and chocolate bars down your throat as you want". Never "eat 1200 calories a day, except for days with a T in them" vs. "over the course of a week eat roughly the number of calories you burn".

It's ridiculous how much time humans spend thinking about eating. No other animal is putting this much thought into how they eat, yet we're the overweight unhealthy ones. I think people really do over think it.

Funnily enough I like the style of 5:2 because I like how it mimcs a realistic diet for a hunter gatherer. Catch a deer, eat it for a couple of days, run out. Try and catch another one - fail, go hungry for a day. Harvest some berries, etc.

You make a very good point about these comparisons though. I'm a fairly 'natural' lifestyle person anyway, as I was raised in the Lake District, running wild during the day and then eating what I fancied.
  • Options
    cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Losing weight is just a case of getting a calorie deficit so that your body burns the stored fat. Everyone is different though and some may prefer the 5:2 or 2 large meals or 6 small etc, whatever suits the individual. I like eating 4 meals a day and get hungry if I don't, so I spread my calorie allowance over those 4 meals. If people try to force themselves to eat in a way they can't adapt to it will certainly lead to failure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It worked for me!
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

- Water
    - Fruits
    - Green Veg
    - Wholemeal Bread/Pasta
    - Lean Chicken/Beef
    - Salmon/Tuna
    - Nuts

Most of the studies would suggest that's the key to Western obesity. Carbohydrate overconsumption is the main reason 70% of people are fat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Most of the studies would suggest that's the key to Western obesity. Carbohydrate overconsumption is the main reason 70% of people are fat.

Yes but wholegrain products are a lot better than white / refined wheat / rice
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    It worked for me!

and for me :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Which studies? Is there any study to back up the 70% figure? There are many healthy diets around the world which are based heavily on carbohydrates. The Okinawa diet for instance is far heavier in carbs than a typical Western diet, yet they have one of the world's longest live expectancies.

The West eats less in the way of carbs than most of the developing world ( http://chartsbin.com/view/1154 ), where metabolic disease are rare. Poor nations have to build their diets around grains as they're the cheapest and most plentiful food. Although there are many other factors at work, it's unlikely carbs alone are the problem, otherwise you'd expect the developing world to have more metabolic disease.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burn of more calories than you eat or eat less calories than you burn, simples:D
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Losing weight is just a case of getting a calorie deficit so that your body burns the stored fat. Everyone is different though and some may prefer the 5:2 or 2 large meals or 6 small etc, whatever suits the individual. I like eating 4 meals a day and get hungry if I don't, so I spread my calorie allowance over those 4 meals. If people try to force themselves to eat in a way they can't adapt to it will certainly lead to failure.

Quoted for truth.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely how much weight you gain or lose is just related to your energy intake, your activity level and your metabolic rate?
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Surely how much weight you gain or lose is just related to your energy intake, your activity level and your metabolic rate?

Yes, but there are factors which affect people's energy intake, their activity level, and their metabolic rate. Hence dieting is not ultra-trivial, and psychological factors need to be considered as well as simple biochemical ones.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on the eat less and exercise more diet atm. I've tried loads of others but i have high hopes for this one. fingers crossed.

Exactly and about the only one that will work for a normal healthy person ( we all know that some people will be larger due to illnesses and medication and may find it difficult to lose weight even without eating crap ) to me the only way to lose weight is to exercise more and eat less crap and make sure what you do eat is good for you, and once you have reached your desired weight then a little bit of what you fancy never does you any harm as long as its in moderation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    As my doctor told me, losing weight is simply using more calories than you take in.

I have just started a diet last week 1400 cals a day, thats 3 meals at 450 cals per meal.

Example: 4 ounces fresh cooked chicken with as much salad as you like 2 slices wholemeal bread makes a cracking sandwich.

Next meal 6 ozs white fish, 8 ozs new potatoes as much green stuff as I like.

easy, I will lose 10- 12 pounds per month.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member

- Water
    - Fruits
    - Green Veg
    - Wholemeal Bread/Pasta
    - Lean Chicken/Beef
    - Salmon/Tuna
    - Nuts

I'd drop pasta out of that, and most fruit, especially fresh fruit juice, which is basically liquid sugar.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fat is hard to budge, I've been lifting weights and doing a half an hour on my exercise bike I still can't shift the modest layer of fat around my new muscle. I can see why people try all those fads, I must be eating more to compensate for the weights without realising.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Fat is hard to budge, I've been lifting weights and doing a half hour on my exercise bike I still can't shift the modest layer of fat around my new muscle. I can see why people try all those fads, I must be eating more to compensate for the weights without realising.

Weights are not ideal to burn the fat. Try doing a 10 mile bike ride once every two days. I use this to plan my routes - http://www.walkjogrun.net/
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    Weights are not ideal to burn the fat. Try doing a 10 mile bike ride once every two days. I use this to plan my routes - http://www.walkjogrun.net/

I tried but my arse was so sore from the rubbish roads and I got tired of having to stop, start and worry about getting hit by cars that's why I bought my new exercise bike. Nice to be able to put the headphones on and drift away while peddling.