Inspector George Gently

Comments

• chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    First time i have seen this,,,,Is martin Shaw taking the piss with that accent, he sounds ridiculous

It is ridiculous isnt it? i watched my first episode last week i couldnt believe his accent
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It is ridiculous isnt it? i watched my first episode last week i couldnt believe his accent

its a bit off putting, i can't take him seriously with him mumbling in a gruff over the top comedy accent
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    its a bit off putting, i can't take him seriously with him mumbling in a gruff over the top comedy accent

Easy solution. Don't watch.
  • hallchallc Posts: 199,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed the first ten mins of recording this hope I have not missed much..
    Forum Member
    hallc wrote: »
    I missed the first ten mins of recording this hope I have not missed much..

You missed the girls body being found dead on the beach.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    Easy solution. Don't watch.

I think this series is a load of crap, but I now understand, thanks to you, that this is not a forum for the expression of personal opinions on, "TV Shows: UK/ Inspector George Gently/Reply to Thread", but merely your personal online fiefdom.
    Thanks for your insight, and congratulations on your promotion to Moderator/Administrator.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I certainly enjoyed it, GG is a nice all round show and I don't care about the accents either....
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Well I certainly enjoyed it, GG is a nice all round show and I don't care about the accents either....

I don't care about accents anyhow. I live in London and every second person I meet has a different accent. Yesterday I went shopping and spoke to two people who originally came from India, three Welsh people, two people from somewhere up North, and a Scot. They all have mixed up accents due to living here for a while.

I enjoy the show and think the leads are both fine, and I must add that I don't understand why anyone would watch something that lasts for an hour and a half if some aspects of it are really driving them mad. Or did they just watch a few minutes and turn off?
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    The greengrocer's apostrophe on the holiday camp sign was a nice touch, but the relationship between the mother and daughter was not credible. The point about Martin Shaw's accent has been made dozens of times and that's just by Doghouse Riley. There's no point just repeating it.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time i have seen this,,,,Is martin Shaw taking the piss with that accent, he sounds ridiculous

Yep! Worst northern accent ever!!! ;-) ... still a great show tho! :cool:
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyable episode, and quite impressed with Pixie Lott the actress:)
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teeswolf wrote: »
    Enjoyable episode, and quite impressed with Pixie Lott the actress:)

I've not watched my recording of this yet, I posted earlier in the week that I'd read that we'd get; "Pixie Lott does Motown," so I'll be quite interested to see how well she does.

On the subject of Martin Shaw's accent. It is quite clear most people people haven't a clue what it is supposed to be, so, "Martin Shaw is not on his own."

I think it rather juvenile for other people to criticise posters for commenting on how ridiculous or funny it sounds. There's no excuse for "bad acting," when you are paid the sort of money these favoured TV stars get.

But then, those who like a particular programme or someone on the telly, often "throw teddy out the cot" at the merest hint of a criticism.

"DS was ever thus."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got round to skimming through this. Pixie Lott gave a reasonable performance of the "Shoop Shoop song" and her acting what little she was given, was of quite an acceptable standard.

However I was reminded a bit of of "Carry on Camping" as it's impossible to create an image of summer, when it's obviously cold and there wasn't a leaf on any of the trees seen in the distance.

As a programme, in my opinion the quality fell far short of, "Suits," "The Good Wife," "Nashville" and "Southland," all curiously scheduled for Thursday nights, when the programming on other nights is like a desert.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    julicova wrote: »
    Starting watching this because of Lee Ingleby - he was superb in Luther, White Heat and Harry Potter. What a versatile actor; I find his face fascinating to watch. He has the ability to show everything in his expressions. He has got Bacchus down to a tee. Also, he can really rock the 60s fashion.

Having seen Martin Shaw in his Professional days I was a little concerned. Happy to say that the curly locks are gone and I love the Gently character and his interaction with Bacchus.

What a great series. This went by without me noticing so I have been slowly catching up on I-player. Delighted to see that more episodes are now being screened.

Lee Ingleby makes the series for me. He raises the bar in my opinion, taking it above some of the other mundane police series. I remember his performance as a serial killer in Luther, he's an under-rated actor..again in my opinion.
  • starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly people have not watched the show from series 1,who are commentating on the accent.

He moved from London in the first episode to solve a crime and stayed in the North east afterwards.
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a very interesting episode and I liked that I didn't have any idea that would be what had happened to Pixie and the reason why etc!
    May have been nice to have her sing one more song.
    There did seem a rather OTT amount of "blue" coats in the camp though as it looked rather small and you could tell many of them were just walking back and forth so it looked busy..plus how it looked FREEZING. But I managed to overlook that and enjoy the story!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starman700 wrote: »
    Clearly people have not watched the show from series 1,who are commentating on the accent.

He moved from London in the first episode to solve a crime and stayed in the North east afterwards.

Actually, clearly many are aware of the back story.

The main criticisms are that it is "all over the place," with no consistency how words are pronounced.

We've "done accents" lots of times on here.
  • BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    Re last nights episode Blue for Bluebird................where was it filmed and where is the beach?
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed last night's episode and last week's. Very good. So far I think it's been stronger than some of the previous series. I wanted to agree with posters who said Lee Ingleby is particularly good.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Borefest wrote: »
    Re last nights episode Blue for Bluebird................where was it filmed and where is the beach?

It said Saltburn, which I believe is a real place.
  • ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just catching up with last night's episode now.

Awwww, that was my old Junior School they we're arguing outside. Rosa Street School in Spennymoor. They did a damn good job of hiding the fact that it's absolutely surrounded by modern housing.

Brought a lot of old memories back I can say
  • ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    It said Saltburn, which I believe is a real place.

Yes, it is a real place and yes, it really is that desolate :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least even though it was filmed in winter, they didn't have to paint the grass as they did in "Carry on Camping." With which in places, it reminded me.
    Mind you, it was mostly sand we saw.
    Forum Member
    Actually, clearly many are aware of the back story.

The main criticisms are that it is "all over the place," with no consistency how words are pronounced.

We've "done accents" lots of times on here.

Doghouse, if you were to ever hear my accent you would realise that its not so abnormal:)
    I probably have a mixture of 4 accents. Parents from totally different parts of the UK. Dragged up in Dublin and now living in boggerland. Im reasonably certain that my own pronunciation varies depending.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starman700 wrote: »

I've watched since the very beginning & never knew that! :blush::o

No wonder I think his northern accent is bad lol! ;-) :D