The Tennis Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apologies if this has been posted before, but it's kinda funny

tennis stars as winter Olympians

Haha! I especially love what they said about Andy shouting when curling :D:p
  • Options
    SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    Yep that was me :D, But I only said it because I know he would never do anything like that in a million years, he is just too nice :) but I wish I could have twatted them over the head to get rid of them :D and also the crowd for being nasty when Rafa came back on court, I know I go on about Rafa being gorgeous but I love many more things about him too I love the way he is, he is adorable and sweet and a lovely amazing person, I also love how he speaks in English, I just love everything about him.

I am so happy tonight because he won Rio Open.

Funny Video, girl looks like she is drooling and while she is on the job too. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLIfmnlSkQ4

:D:D

Lol! Can she make it any more obvious? :o I'd be exactly the same though :p

He is bl**dy gorgeous up close :cool:
  • Options
    MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delpo retires from his match in Dubai due to his wrist injury. Lost the opening set & was in tears
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InTheLoop wrote: »
    Where has his form come from? Last tournament he lost to some lowly ranked Spaniard in 3!

This time he beat Fognini, Almagro and Ferrer, all who prefer the clay. Some nice money for him to enjoy no matter what in the final ;)

I enjoy watching too, his dropshots are spectacular.
    Dog is in good form for two or three tournaments in a year. Good luck predicting which ones :p
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    Funny Video, girl looks like she is drooling and while she is on the job too. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLIfmnlSkQ4
    She's a Madrid-tier ballgirl. I wholeheartedly approve...
    rita1 wrote: »
    In the end, the final was dull and predictable :( - for me, anyway.
    It really was. Dog just doesn't match up well with Nadal.
    apologies if this has been posted before, but it's kinda funny

tennis stars as winter Olympians
    They got them spot on, particularly curling, figure skating and snowboarding. :D
    Delpo retires from his match in Dubai due to his wrist injury. Lost the opening set & was in tears
    Devvarman only had to keep the ball in play to the Delpo BH - he knew that he would slice 95% of the time.

It was very hard to watch. Delpo wincing and crying into his towel at the end :cry:

I don't think a couple of weeks of rest will sort his left wrist out, gut feeling is that he'll need more surgery.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    Thought Ward had this in the bag and now it's looking like he's going to lose. Wish there was a stream somewhere to watch this match. Would love to see what went wrong for him, or right for Gabashvili. Just nerves perhaps? The big occasion?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    Got it! Well done James - through to the second round:)
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Such a shame. It really isn't looking good for him. Either he needs to change how he plays, or he needs some drastic treatment, or a really, really long rest.

Great news for Ward. The confidence he gained from the Davis Cup win stood him in good stead to dig deep. OK, there was a blip in the third set, but he managed to hang on in there and take it in the tie-break.

As I didn't see the match, I don't actually know how he or his opponent played, but an important victory regardless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WTH - Andy getting bagelled by Andujar :o: blush:

Andy played better with a bad back :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rita1 wrote: »
    Thought Ward had this in the bag and now it's looking like he's going to lose. Wish there was a stream somewhere to watch this match. Would love to see what went wrong for him, or right for Gabashvili. Just nerves perhaps? The big occasion?
    Wardy had a 5-0 lead in the final set, I believe. Just about ground out the victory in the TB.

Leave the horrible chokes to other guys, James...
    Sarn wrote: »
    WTH - Andy getting bagelled by Andujar :o: blush:

Andy narrowly escaped a bagel against Andujar. Would've been his first one since 2010...

Just far too passive in that first set, letting Andujar run the show with his FH. He was looking a lot more like himself as the match went on though, bold returning and moved further up the court to take the initiative.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1. He's played more than his fair share of dubious sets, even when supposedly fit.

2. All of the sensible people, including Lendl, predicted that it would take many months before Andy would be back to full form. Recovering from surgery takes time, so it's way too soon to make that kind of judgement.

I'd also point out that Andy's back seemed to be getting worse, and may have got even worse if he'd stuck with trying to manage the pain as he had before.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching a replay on Sky [the joys of being retired]
    Missed the first set thankfully but he sure looks lean and mean at the moment and Andujar is no mug.

Andujar was within a point of beating Rafa in Rio.
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His draw is good up until the semis, he shouldn't be losing to Sousa/Simon/Young if he plays like he did in the latter half of that match.

Dimitrov/Gulbis if he makes the SFs will be a very tough test though.
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D

Lol! Can she make it any more obvious? :o I'd be exactly the same though :p

He is bl**dy gorgeous up close :cool:

You and me have good taste :) Wish I could see him up close it would be a dream come true.

I was in hospital yesterday for a small operation and when I came round from the anesthetic I nearly said where has Rafa gone the nurses in the recovery area. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just in case anyone wants to see the women's matches in Acapulco :p

http://transmision1.unotv.com/portal/unotv/noticias/transmision1/

Cibulkova -v- Wikmayer on at the mo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just in case anyone wants to see the women's matches in Acapulco :p

http://transmision1.unotv.com/portal/unotv/noticias/transmision1/

Cibulkova -v- Wikmayer on at the mo

I thought BT Sport were showing WTA. Pretty poor effort so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What a weak tournament Dubai has turned out to be. It used to be a really strong field. What happened :confused:

It's like the OAP's tour with most of them retiring/injured. Now Youzney's retired.

No wonder most of the younger ones went to Acapulco.

Djokovic and headcase Berdych and the OAP's. Says it all really doesn't it? :D Well done Boris :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »
    I thought BT Sport were showing WTA. Pretty poor effort so far.

The showed Doha and Dubai.

Acapulco only showed the men's.

BT Sport are showing IW and Miami. They are showing IW from day 2. ES used to show IW from day 6. I'd say that's a pretty good effort.

Why is it a pretty poor effort? What's poor about it :confused:
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

BT Sport are showing IW and Miami. They are showing IW from day 2. ES used to show IW from day 6. I'd say that's a pretty good effort.

Well I don't have BTSport so that's poor! I was fine with Eurosport.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have ES and BT and can't see WTA on either. This is a 500 tournament so I call this a poor effort.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acapulco is a bit of a muddle, we only seem to get the night session on SS3.

And the Yank/Aussie commentators are pathetic, constantly highlighting Murray's weaknesses. Well jel that their nations haven't had a relevant tennis player on the men's side in a decade.
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    1. He's played more than his fair share of dubious sets, even when supposedly fit.

2. All of the sensible people, including Lendl, predicted that it would take many months before Andy would be back to full form. Recovering from surgery takes time, so it's way too soon to make that kind of judgement.

I'd also point out that Andy's back seemed to be getting worse, and may have got even worse if he'd stuck with trying to manage the pain as he had before.
    BIB - yes, I think Andy was at the end of his tether with it. Being unmanageable on clay is one thing, but it affected him on hard as well.
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    His draw is good up until the semis, he shouldn't be losing to Sousa/Simon/Young if he plays like he did in the latter half of that match.

Dimitrov/Gulbis if he makes the SFs will be a very tough test though.
    There's a chance GOATbis will be tired, he's played a fair bit recently.
    What a weak tournament Dubai has turned out to be. It used to be a really strong field. What happened :confused:

It's like the OAP's tour with most of them retiring/injured. Now Youzney's retired.

No wonder most of the younger ones went to Acapulco.

Djokovic and headcase Berdych and the OAP's. Says it all really doesn't it? :D Well done Boris :p
    Dubai still had a strong field, stronger than Rio and Acapulco. Rio in particular was very weak.

Both of the Russians withdrew (Davydenko and Youzhny). Bit of a shame that Ward lost to the Colonel...but he'd have been marmalised by Djokovic in the QF.

I think experience counts for a lot when it comes to getting to the latter stages of tournaments. :p

Now Acapulco's surface has switched from clay to hard (and slow, high bouncing hard at that), I think it's the best warmup for molasses IW/Miami. It's every bit as humid as the latter.

Wouldn't choose Rio as it's on clay, and wouldn't choose Dubai because the surface is medium/fast. Also, it's a long flight away from IW.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura Robson will miss Indian Wells, and I'm guessing Miami too.

Bernard Tomic should return from injury at Monte Carlo.

Genie is in with a chance of winning her first title this week, and Muguruza should have a shot at winning her second title.

Kinda off-topic, but I saw a photo on Nadal's Facebook of him posing with Ronaldo (Brazilian Ronaldo). Good god he's gotten fat since he retired :blush:
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bernard Tomic should return from injury at Monte Carlo.

Genie is in with a chance of winning her first title this week, and Muguruza should have a shot at winning her second title.

Kinda off-topic, but I saw a photo on Nadal's Facebook of him posing with Ronaldo (Brazilian Ronaldo). Good god he's gotten fat since he retired :blush:

He wasn't exactly skinny before he retired either :kitty:. But yes, the weight problem has definitely gotten worse http://www.viewfromthestand.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/ron1.jpg

Wondering if it will be a procession in the Acapulco QFs later. Logic says that Ferrer, Dolgopolov, Gulbis and Murray will all go through but who knows. Dimitrov is normally pretty good on this type of surface so hopefully he can stay competitive with the GOAT.

Cibulkova-Bouchard would make a good final on the WTA side.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dubai is actually pretty interesting, a great field there, especially compared to Rio :D you have Novak, Roger, Berdych and Tsonga for a start. Weird that Novak and Roger will be playing a semi rather than a final though. They have had so many brilliant semis, shame they never played that many finals :(

Which year do you guys think was more impressive, Roger 2006 or Novak 2011? It is always debated. Both were incredible! Roger had a higher win loss ratio, but Novak destroyed his closest rival 6 times in a row, and was 5-1 against Roger. Nole also had 3 slams and 5 masters and that incredible streak while Roger had 3 slams, 4 masters and the WTF. It's a tough one really, both were astonishing to see and up there with Laver 69 in the top 3 of all time :)

Hard to compare eras though in my opinion. Things have changed so much since Laver was playing.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She might be ok for Miami (if you can believe what she says about the injury to be true). Although it's not ideal to go into such a big tournament with no match practice. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Ferrer retired against Anderson, making him a doubt for IW/Miami.

Muzza's match against Simon was very painful viewing. Andy was playing dreadfully and should've been seen off in straight sets, but Simon contrived to mess it up.

Not playing well enough to win titles at the moment - serve and BH aren't there yet. Also needs to start matches better, in all three matches he's lost his opening service game and dug a hole right from the off.
This discussion has been closed.