Options

Can an oldish pc get 120mb d/l speed?

First let me say i'm not pc savvy.

I have 120mb (soon to be 150mb) with Virgin. For the last 3-4 years our Broadband has only ever been about 15-20mb. I've rang up a few times but they just say its my pcs drivers need updating and to take it to a pc shop (i cannot afford to do that). Are they trying to fob me off as my internet tablet is giving me the same speeds, but when i said this they said its because tablets aren't compatible with Virgins superhub. Please tell me if this is true or not so I can try to get a refund for the last however long.
Oh and the pc is only about 4 years old so not ancient.
HP slimline pavillion
Amd athlon 64x2 dual core proc..4400+(2cpus) ~2.3ghz
2046 ram
1422 used 2902mb available
Not sure if all that is relevant or if more info is needed?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wauld assume the PC spec would make no difference at all, as long as it has a browser & an internet connection, it should work fine
    I have 152mb and I'm only using a 2007 iMac
    Fastest if you plug into the ethernet port, instead of using wireless
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I have 2 network cards i think? One is a Netgear WNDA3200 wireless 11N. The other a Nvidia nforce10/100 mbps ethernet. But I use wireless so i think it will be the 1st one that i'm using? Cant say where it says the speed on it though.

Is that the info you need? Sorry but I need things explained in lamen terms lol.
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those are UP TO speeds, the 120 Mbs > 150 Mbs is largely a marketing ploy.

Your wired 100 Mbs Network Card would limit it to maybe 60 Mbs realistically. You could get another Network card that's 1,000 Mbs (1 Gbit card). assuming you have a spare PCI-E slot.

The Wireless Card/dongle is faster and should not limit it.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your ethernet (wired) is not fast enough for 120mbps, close but not quite there, you can usually get 70-75 mbps from a 100mbps network.

Your wifi is possibly fast enough, but will depend on your router settings and the distance from the router. What speed does you wifi dongle link to the router?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    We usually only get 15-20 mb with the wireless dongle. Can't connect via ethernet because the pc is in a different room (I'd say about less than 10 metres but through a wall) to the hub. I would have thought that up to 120mb would at least be higher than the next speed down (not sure what that is?) Otherwise I might as well be paying for the 50meg as its never exceded that (I have actually just downgraded to the 50mb commencing this wednesday because of this)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We usually only get 15-20 mb with the wireless dongle. Can't connect via ethernet because the pc is in a different room (I'd say about less than 10 metres but through a wall) to the hub. I would have thought that up to 120mb would at least be higher than the next speed down (not sure what that is?) Otherwise I might as well be paying for the 50meg as its never exceded that (I have actually just downgraded to the 50mb commencing this wednesday because of this)

It really isn't that hard to put a ethernet cable in and cost less then £10. Infinitely more reliable then wireless and better then powerline.