now tv any good?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
Forum Member
Is the now tv a good service and how much do's it cost to run ?

Comments

• kasgkasg Posts: 4,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't really be in the Terrestrial section, but you can get all the prices and details from the NowTV web site http://www.nowtv.com/.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But don't forget that if you have a limited usage broadband account (eg. 10GB per month) any costs of overrunning that limit by using Now TV a great deal need to be taken into account, it is not just the Now TV subscription costs.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, I tend to forget that not everyone is on unlimited usage these days.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I have a Roku box (very similar to Now TV) and find that it appears to use about 0.65GB per hour for standard definition, which works out to nearly 40GB per month for an average 2 hours per day.

Fortunately, our use of the box is limited to just catch up of programmes that we failed to record on our PVRs.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the BBC iPlayer works very well on the NOW TV Box, however the NOW TV service itself (at least the movies) is plagued by buffering far too often (being sat next to a WiFi Router on an unlimited Fibre connection where no other device or service suffers from buffering).

For adding the BBC iPlayer, 4od, and Demand 5 to an old TV it's worth the one-off £10 but it just doesn't work well enough for me to consider using the NOW TV subscription service.

If you are thinking of adding it to a TV without an HDMI input you need to bare in mind that the composite video output is NTSC which some TV's can't display properly (by kitchen set shows it in black and white for instance).

That being said, since I've got a Chromecast I've not needed to use it as that works better (less faffing with the remote) for iPlayer and You Tube (I have a Media Centre PC so rarely need to use 4OD etc).
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    kev wrote: »
    I find the BBC iPlayer works very well on the NOW TV Box, however the NOW TV service itself (at least the movies) is plagued by buffering far too often (being sat next to a WiFi Router on an unlimited Fibre connection where no other device or service suffers from buffering).

I find it is only the live channels that suffer from buffering, I've not seen it on on-demand. However, I did manage to get through the whole of GoT live yesterday without it buffering at all, so it seems to be improving.
  • AKWAKW Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    I find it is only the live channels that suffer from buffering, I've not seen it on on-demand. However, I did manage to get through the whole of GoT live yesterday without it buffering at all, so it seems to be improving.

I've had it almost since day 1, initially with a Now TV Box but have added a Roku 1. Initially I hade the movies but cancelled that and moved to the Entertainment package which is great value in my opinion.

I have had a couple of sports passes (free with Carling) to watch championship Rugby.

Never seen buffering but live TV is SD so tend to watch catch up at 720p.

Overall I think its a good device.