Options

BBC2 21:00 Secret History of Our Streets

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jt9bv
1 of 6 Starts with Deptford high street.
Using Charles Booth's poverty maps as a jumping off point.

In 1886 Charles Booth embarked on an ambitious plan to visit every one of London's streets to record the social conditions of residents. His project took him 17 years.
This series takes six archetypal London streets as they are now, discovering how they have fared since Booth's day.

Comments

• Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just noticed this series and was trying to find details on what the rest of the episodes were on. The next one (2 of 6) is on Camberwell Grove, anyone have any idea of the other four?
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    Just noticed this series and was trying to find details on what the rest of the episodes were on. The next one (2 of 6) is on Camberwell Grove, anyone have any idea of the other four?
    Here they are....
    Deptford High Street
    Camberwell Grove
    Caledonian Road
    Portland Road
    Reverdy Road
    Arnold Circus

Does look interesting.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found it a bit boring so far and find the London accents really irritating.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be working class is to be $h@t on from a great height.
  • Options
    fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Found it a bit boring so far and find the London accents really irritating.

Um, it's a programme about London, lots of people have London accents there.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Interesting programme, I phoned my sister and told her it was on because they live at the other end of Reginald Road, behind the Bird Nest Pub on a boat moored in Deptford Creek. When I go up for a visit, I don't like walking through Deptford High Street, to the railway station. I don't get a good feeling about it, I prefer to go by DLR.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame - the council of the day ruined a perfectly good neighbourhood. Shocking how they got away with it really :mad: I found it all a bit depressing, the power some people have over other people's lives The whole vision of 'London as a Machine' - very 1984 :(
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    I had looked forward to this but fell asleep half way through. I'l give Camberwell Grove a go before I knock it on the head though.
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame - the council of the day ruined a perfectly good neighbourhood. Shocking how they got away with it really :mad: I found it all a bit depressing, the power some people have over other people's lives The whole vision of 'London as a Machine' - very 1984 :(

i feel the same. It really brought it home that no matter what condition those houses were in, in a real community, the 'forward thinking' town planners wanted it gone. And similar houses in other areas got to stay and are now million pound properties. I wonder if there are many of these planners from the 60s and 70s who realise not only did they get it wrong, but they've made modern ghettos 10 times worse than what they were before. They should be ashamed of themselves. And it's not just London. Most cities all over the country had these idiots who were actually bribed, and offered lovely trips to high rise communities in Europe, and then came back and destroyed the whole notion of community.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have knocked down some houses which were in a terrible condition but they just seemed to hate anything Georgian or Victorian. And to a certain degree they still do. They deliberately let listed buildings get in such a state of ill repair, they get by the protection by saying it's now unsafe. Instead of cheap concrete block buildings, we now have metal, glass and wood cladding ones, that will have the same problems and need to be demolished after 30 years. Yet those houses in the programme have survived 250 years
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A really excellent programme, if very sad. So much to wind you up and make you angry - that those town planners (none of whom lived in the communities they were destroying) could just take peoples homes away from them and they could do nothing about it.

What particularly stood out for me was that stupid ex-councillor going on about how happy the people were when they were moved, combined with the footage of the women saying how miserable they were in the new places and that they cried every day.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Planning in an ancient metropolis is probably one of the tougher "high responsibility " jobs in the public realm but that doesn't excuse the use of rampant (and transient!) ideology to sweep away whole communities. Planners seem to be obsessed by building things rather than allowing people to develop their own worlds with assistance from the public sector.

I'd like to say that things are now better that sort of behaviour but I'm sure plenty of people have examples of on-going failures of consultation and high handed attitudes.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nw0307 wrote: »
    i feel the same. It really brought it home that no matter what condition those houses were in, in a real community, the 'forward thinking' town planners wanted it gone. And similar houses in other areas got to stay and are now million pound properties. I wonder if there are many of these planners from the 60s and 70s who realise not only did they get it wrong, but they've made modern ghettos 10 times worse than what they were before. They should be ashamed of themselves. And it's not just London. Most cities all over the country had these idiots who were actually bribed, and offered lovely trips to high rise communities in Europe, and then came back and destroyed the whole notion of community.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have knocked down some houses which were in a terrible condition but they just seemed to hate anything Georgian or Victorian. And to a certain degree they still do. They deliberately let listed buildings get in such a state of ill repair, they get by the protection by saying it's now unsafe. Instead of cheap concrete block buildings, we now have metal, glass and wood cladding ones, that will have the same problems and need to be demolished after 30 years. Yet those houses in the programme have survived 250 years

....as well as WW2. And we thought the Nazis were the enemy..:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I actually enjoyed that, due to the characters mostly.
    Spent a fair bit of time in Deptford market as a child on Saturdays.

Councillor fella was getting right on my nips, mostly due to his accent, then what was coming out of his mouth.
    Enjoyed the Pastor and his spiritual mapping being used as a metaphor.
    I didn't get it as first and told him to F'off my TV screen :)
  • Options
    PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    That long haired simpleton should have been strung up. These people murdered community and culture on the altar of their own ridiculous egos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....as well as WW2. And we thought the Nazis were the enemy..:rolleyes:

I have seen many programmes over the years that have shown how postwar town planners did much more damage to British towns and cities than the Luftwaffe. Was it Portsmouth that still had significant parts of the town surviving, even if damaged, but postwar they bulldozed the lot to put up bland cheap modern buildings?
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    So depressing.

And they wonder why the community spirit was lost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    So depressing.

And they wonder why the community spirit was lost.

Who wondered why community spirit was lost?
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    On town planning and the destruction of commuities: a couple of years ago, 2 tower blocks near me were demolished and the people dispersed/rehoused.
    Some of those people had been dispersed from the same site 45 years ago, when their houses were demolished to make way for the towers.

I wouldn't have the town planners' jobs for all the tea in China - but yes, social experimentation with real people's lives makes me very angry.

(There is nothing but weeds on the site of the towers, btw; whatever the new plan for housing in the area was, the money seems to have dried up; so now an area that didn't really need any more of it has more wasteland.....)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    On town planning and the destruction of commuities: a couple of years ago, 2 tower blocks near me were demolished and the people dispersed/rehoused.
    Some of those people had been dispersed from the same site 45 years ago, when their houses were demolished to make way for the towers.

I wouldn't have the town planners' jobs for all the tea in China - but yes, social experimentation with real people's lives makes me very angry.

(There is nothing but weeds on the site of the towers, btw; whatever the new plan for housing in the area was, the money seems to have dried up; so now an area that didn't really need any more of it has more wasteland.....)

It is very noticeable with prefabs. Many people have been forced to move out prefabs even though they had a real community spirit on the estates and they liked the houses which though small were very comfortable inside. But the planners thought they should go and demolished many against the wishes of the people living there.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is very noticeable with prefabs. Many people have been forced to move out prefabs even though they had a real community spirit on the estates and they liked the houses which though small were very comfortable inside. But the planners thought they should go and demolished many against the wishes of the people living there.

Not in my gran's old street, the council just temporarily moved everybody out of their prefabs, knocked them down, replaced them with bungalow's and then moved everybody back in exactly where they were before. All except my grans next door neighbour who had bought his prefab and wouldn't move out so he's still there sounded by modern bungalow's. Other than that it was all very efficient, of course it happened in 1990, if it had been 1970 they would probably have built a load of tower blocks instead.
  • Options
    planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glenshane wrote: »
    A really excellent programme, if very sad. So much to wind you up and make you angry - that those town planners (none of whom lived in the communities they were destroying) could just take peoples homes away from them and they could do nothing about it.

What particularly stood out for me was that stupid ex-councillor going on about how happy the people were when they were moved, combined with the footage of the women saying how miserable they were in the new places and that they cried every day.

Can I echo everything you have said....and to add that I found it an extremely depressing to watch a community destroyed in such a fashion.....just criminal.
  • Options
    DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Town planners are really up their with estate agents, those people that cold call you at 8pm and tax inspectors. They destroyed my home town and filled it with ugly buildings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pedro wrote: »
    That long haired simpleton should have been strung up. These people murdered community and culture on the altar of their own ridiculous egos.

I'm tempted to knock on his front door....tell him I'm from the Council...and that we're going to build a tower block right next door to his twee little country cottage :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen many programmes over the years that have shown how postwar town planners did much more damage to British towns and cities than the Luftwaffe. Was it Portsmouth that still had significant parts of the town surviving, even if damaged, but postwar they bulldozed the lot to put up bland cheap modern buildings?

The City of Bath is another example:

"in the 1960s local council officials in Bath took it upon them themselves to draw up plans to demolish large swathes of artisan housing while retaining the set pieces such as the Royal Crescent. As a result, hundreds of small Georgian houses, of the kind that it is nowadays everyone’s dream to live in, were brutally bulldozed."
  • Options
    herpderp525herpderp525 Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    aside from the loss of the community, why on earth would anyone demolish those beautiful victorian/period buildings for the ugliest council flats ever conceived? Did those people have a few screws loose? Just imagine if wherever we now see those 60/70s ugly concrete 'homes' we saw period buildings instead. It beggars belief.