The Dumping Ground - CBBC

Comments

• Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    RingoJ739K wrote: »
    I think Montanna did a great job as Justine. For me, I think Justine was more likeable in some episodes of series 3 and the whole of Series 5.

It was all good until I saw this: http://www.people.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/2007/05/13/kids-tv-star-s-cocaine-binge-93463-19094485/
  • Ribbed.CenturyRibbed.Century Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »

Do you actually believe that? I read that article years ago and recently, it was quite funny when I read it...

Anyone could have made that all up... It's not very convincing.

It says she snorted "huge lines of cocaine" and "chain-smoked cannabis joints". If she did, she probably would have passed out; no one could have taken in that much and survived... especially with alcohol included.

Stripped to her underwear? Maybe, but it made me lol.

They spelt "Littlewood" Little wood. Wrong!

It says that she appears in "nearly every episode", but actually she missed out quite a lot, especially in series 4 when she's only in one...

A huge mistake is when it mentioned she made her first appearance in "1995" in The Queen's Nose. It's true that he was in it, but not in 1995... she would have been 6/7 years old... she's actually in the 2000 series (series 4), not 1995!

And the bit about her friend.... blabbing about Montanna's habits... who'd really do that? Wouldn't Montanna tell her friend not to tell anyone, especially if they're a friend?

And her boyfriend in her 20s.... absolute rubbish, like she'd let him spend all her money...

I don't believe any of it, but I found the report quite funny, and I printed it out when I was at school.
    Forum Member
    Official ratings are out. The series premiere last week had an official rating of 625k. Easily highest rating of the week but kind of expected more.
  • unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does that really change your opinion of her?

Too me it makes her seem more human as Kids TV stars are always seen as boring.

The Dumping Ground is actually quite good for something that is aimed at children. They need to get rid of those horrible animations between scenes though.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I suppose if you looked at it the other way. Justine took Louise away from Tracy, leaving her lonely until series 3 where Crash and Jackie arrived.

Although in Series 1 and 2, Tracy had Ben as her friend - which I quite liked, as there aren't many regular characters who aren't at the care home. They mentioned at the start of Series 3 that Ben went off to boarding school, Tracy was talking to him on the phone.

I wonder why the producers decided to get rid of Ben? I guess they wanted to focus more on Tracy's friends at the DG, or maybe Luke Youngblood didn't want to do it anymore.
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unknown17 wrote: »
    Does that really change your opinion of her?

Too me it makes her seem more human as Kids TV stars are always seen as boring.

The Dumping Ground is actually quite good for something that is aimed at children. They need to get rid of those horrible animations between scenes though.

BIB - I don't think they will remove the animations anytime soon.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    BIB - I don't think they will remove the animations anytime soon.

they can't they've had them since the begining:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sex wrote: »
    they can't they've had them since the begining:(

That's true but they don't really bother me as much as long as they don't overuse them. I don't like when they are overused.
    Forum Member
    The animations/illustrations are possibly what made the series' so successful since TSOTB.

I still wonder what they are airing on Friday though, episode 5 & 6 are being aired on a Monday (at 4:30pm). Maybe 'Comic Relief does Glee Club'...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The animations/illustrations are possibly what made the series' so successful since TSOTB.

I still wonder what they are airing on Friday though, episode 5 & 6 are being aired on a Monday (at 4:30pm). Maybe 'Comic Relief does Glee Club'...

Wouldn't that be a bit early? Comic Relief doesn't usually start until March.
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't that be a bit early? Comic Relief doesn't usually start until March.

Maybe they'll start airing it now leading into March.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they'll start airing it now leading into March.

I hope not. I don't want it to drag on.
    Forum Member
    as ive said before, i'd be perfectly content if they air it on mondays rather than fri.
    Forum Member
    as ive said before, i'd be perfectly content if they air it on mondays rather than fri.

Won't the ratings drop though as many people will not know it'll be on Mondays?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it stays on the Friday slot. So far, they haven't revealed another new show which is entering the Friday slot.
    Forum Member
    I hope it stays on the Friday slot. There's no new show on Friday.

Only if there is a mistake with the website...
    Forum Member
    Won't the ratings drop though as many people will not know it'll be on Mondays?

Well personally, I think it's lost my ratings already because it's so rubbish.

I'm not that excited coming home on Fridays, have a bath and wait for "The Dumping Ground".

I remember when I was in Year 11 (last year) on Fridays, the day consisted of this: Me saying to people at school, 'oh yeah, a new episode of Tracy Beaker Returns. You watching it?' people reply 'no'. And I tried not to get detentions on friday otherwise I'd miss it.

And as soon as school was finished, I'd come back straightaway, have a bath, and set the video to record it (for someone who was at college that time), and watch it when it's on. Then i'd go on Facebook to the TBR page to comment on how it was.

I remember that a friend asked me to go to extra statistics lessons after school on Friday, and I said "no, Friday is Tracy Beaker day..." and she said "That's not important!!!" And she was 15, I was 16.... she also said "just watch it on repeat or something" and I said "No, i prefer to watch it as it airs" (as i do now), so she must have got pissed off that I put TBR before education. But I didn't even do statistics anyway

And for the big finale, I remember everything on 23rd march 2012. That day I was telling everyone how it was the last ever episode that you'd see Dani Harmer in, I read some fanfictions of TBR, I asked people in my science class if they'd watch it (some boy said he was going to, but then he just forgot), and it seemed that I was actually a kid compared to everyone else, because practically no one watched it when it was on (except for TSOTB)... But some girls in the year younger than me, they were interested in what I had to say about it, and was singing "I can make my world come true..." and I was thinking, "since today's is Tracy's last ep, will she finally win someday?"

so anyway....

At college, I asked people if they watch Tracy Beaker, some said "oh i used to watch that long time ago" and a girl one month older than me said "yeah i liked the old one... i hate the new one though"... and it turned out that everyone at college who knew Tracy Beaker wasn't aware that the spin-off "The Dumping Ground" existed... surprising... but then again, we were 16,17 and 18 years old, I bet I'm the only one in the whole college who watches CBBC.

And the same girl said she saw me on a website, and I said it was fanfiction for Tracy Beaker and she said "oh yeah that rubbish... and you told me that it's gonna be The Dumping Ground next year.... utter cr*p..."

I disputed her opinion, but I realise she was right...

Because when a person completely obsessed with The Story of Tracy Beaker and Tracy Beaker Returns finds out that the spin-off is actually unsatisfactory, then he loses interest in the series...
    Forum Member
    Considering it is snowing this week, we could see a rise in the ratings on Friday if the snow carries on until then ;)

But I understand TDG won't be everyone's cup of tea. I would imagine that it has brought in new fans (ones who aren't aware of TSOTB or TBR or the character of Tracy Beaker at all).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering it is snowing this week, we could see a rise in the ratings on Friday if the snow carries on until then ;)

But I understand TDG won't be everyone's cup of tea. I would imagine that it has brought in new fans (ones who aren't aware of TSOTB or TBR or the character of Tracy Beaker at all).

I hope so!:D But unfortunately, it looks like rain will also be coming according to the weather forecast but I could be wrong.:D
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    THERE WAS A TRACEY BEAKER MOVIE:eek: where the hell was I?????
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

You probably saw it. It's a TV movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracy_Beaker%27s_Movie_of_Me

It can be found on youtube.
    Forum Member
    Well personally, I think it's lost my ratings already because it's so rubbish.

I'm not that excited coming home on Fridays, have a bath and wait for "The Dumping Ground".

I remember when I was in Year 11 (last year) on Fridays, the day consisted of this: Me saying to people at school, 'oh yeah, a new episode of Tracy Beaker Returns. You watching it?' people reply 'no'. And I tried not to get detentions on friday otherwise I'd miss it.

And as soon as school was finished, I'd come back straightaway, have a bath, and set the video to record it (for someone who was at college that time), and watch it when it's on. Then i'd go on Facebook to the TBR page to comment on how it was.

I remember that a friend asked me to go to extra statistics lessons after school on Friday, and I said "no, Friday is Tracy Beaker day..." and she said "That's not important!!!" And she was 15, I was 16.... she also said "just watch it on repeat or something" and I said "No, i prefer to watch it as it airs" (as i do now), so she must have got pissed off that I put TBR before education. But I didn't even do statistics anyway

And for the big finale, I remember everything on 23rd march 2012. That day I was telling everyone how it was the last ever episode that you'd see Dani Harmer in, I read some fanfictions of TBR, I asked people in my science class if they'd watch it (some boy said he was going to, but then he just forgot), and it seemed that I was actually a kid compared to everyone else, because practically no one watched it when it was on (except for TSOTB)... But some girls in the year younger than me, they were interested in what I had to say about it, and was singing "I can make my world come true..." and I was thinking, "since today's is Tracy's last ep, will she finally win someday?"

so anyway....

At college, I asked people if they watch Tracy Beaker, some said "oh i used to watch that long time ago" and a girl one month older than me said "yeah i liked the old one... i hate the new one though"... and it turned out that everyone at college who knew Tracy Beaker wasn't aware that the spin-off "The Dumping Ground" existed... surprising... but then again, we were 16,17 and 18 years old, I bet I'm the only one in the whole college who watches CBBC.

And the same girl said she saw me on a website, and I said it was fanfiction for Tracy Beaker and she said "oh yeah that rubbish... and you told me that it's gonna be The Dumping Ground next year.... utter cr*p..."

I disputed her opinion, but I realise she was right...

Because when a person completely obsessed with The Story of Tracy Beaker and Tracy Beaker Returns finds out that the spin-off is actually unsatisfactory, then he loses interest in the series...

I don't understand what is so rubbish about The Dumping Ground. That's quite a touching story about last year, but apart from the fact that Dani isn't in it, I don't see that the new series is lacking anything that the old series had. Take Tracy out of the equation for a moment. The idea of a drama about kids in a care home is a wonderful one - it has great potential for telling stories, because you can have fun plotlines about them getting up to mischief, as well as deeper ones that explore the abuse that the characters suffered before they were in care and why their personalities are the way that they are. Now, if you have a great formula like that for a drama that could go on and on, why would that suffer just because of one character? I honestly don't see what Tracy Beaker Returns had that The Dumping Ground doesn't have, except for Tracy obviously. While Tracy was the main character, in a way she was also the biggest weakness to the show, because dramas like this only really work if they are an ensemble show about lots of characters, and they don't work so well if they have a main person that everything centres around. I know that in the past, I preferred the episodes that didn't focus solely on Tracy as we got to see some wonderful development of other characters. Now that Tracy is out, I think The Dumping Ground has the potential to be really successful, if people give it a chance to be. And I hope you don't give up on it, as I think you're great and I love your fan fictions!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL! Yes!:D It aired on the BBC years ago. I remember watching it for the first time on TV, it was brilliant!:)

It takes place after series 3 (although there is a bit of an error as Justine is still in the Dumping Ground yet they threw a leaving party for her in the final episode for series 3).

Click! click!:):D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK1Fcb119Q8
    Forum Member
    I don't understand what is so rubbish about The Dumping Ground. That's quite a touching story about last year, but apart from the fact that Dani isn't in it, I don't see that the new series is lacking anything that the old series had. Take Tracy out of the equation for a moment. The idea of a drama about kids in a care home is a wonderful one - it has great potential for telling stories, because you can have fun plotlines about them getting up to mischief, as well as deeper ones that explore the abuse that the characters suffered before they were in care and why their personalities are the way that they are. Now, if you have a great formula like that for a drama that could go on and on, why would that suffer just because of one character? I honestly don't see what Tracy Beaker Returns had that The Dumping Ground doesn't have, except for Tracy obviously. While Tracy was the main character, in a way she was also the biggest weakness to the show, because dramas like this only really work if they are an ensemble show about lots of characters, and they don't work so well if they have a main person that everything centres around. I know that in the past, I preferred the episodes that didn't focus solely on Tracy as we got to see some wonderful development of other characters. Now that Tracy is out, I think The Dumping Ground has the potential to be really successful, if people give it a chance to be. And I hope you don't give up on it, as I think you're great and I love your fan fictions!

ig the main reason wasn't that Dani isn't in it, then it's because Melanie isn't in it either... And Melanie was meant to be it in unlike Tracy. They never mentioned anything about getting rid of melanie's character...

TBH, due to Melanie's abscence, I believe that it made the final episode of TBR quite pointless... because that whole episode was depicted of tracy showing to mike that she could be better than melanie...

And since melanie isn't in TDG, it makes me think that the last ep of TBR was not that good because she disappeared... I actuallly thought that TDG was empty because of Tracy, bur lately I realised that it's melanie who's missing..............

So where the Mel is Melanie!!!!!!!

sorry everyone for my bad typing, i just got back home and can't be bothered to write correcly,
    Forum Member
    ig the main reason wasn't that Dani isn't in it, then it's because Melanie isn't in it either... And Melanie was meant to be it in unlike Tracy. They never mentioned anything about getting rid of melanie's character...

TBH, due to Melanie's abscence, I believe that it made the final episode of TBR quite pointless... because that whole episode was depicted of tracy showing to mike that she could be better than melanie...

And since melanie isn't in TDG, it makes me think that the last ep of TBR was not that good because she disappeared... I actuallly thought that TDG was empty because of Tracy, bur lately I realised that it's melanie who's missing..............

So where the Mel is Melanie!!!!!!!

sorry everyone for my bad typing, i just got back home and can't be bothered to write correcly,

Hmm, that's fair enough, but I imagine that when they cast Emily Glenister, it was for the one episode. Maybe she was too busy with something else to do a full series - it's just speculation. They should have explained what happened to her, but your fan fiction does that quite well. Also, her not being in it is actually quite realistic, as in real life the staff at care homes come and go really quickly. That's one of the few things that was more realistic in The Story of Tracy Beaker than in The Dumping Ground - Mike (the first time he was in it), Jenny, Nathan, Sid, Duke and Shelley all left very quickly and hurriedly and with the exception of Duke, none of them were in it that long. Now Mike and Gina have been there forever, which is less realistic but I suppose is better for telling a story. I agree that they definitely need a third careworker though - but I think if they had one, The Dumping Ground would be complete.