Internet Banking issues

2»

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I don't understand why they don't show everything all in one go - it seems to be an archaic system they are using. I say this because Barclays online banking shows every transaction for the last month, immediately, with immediate updates. So if I pay my credit card bill online from my online banking, it shows up immediately in the balance and on the statement listing - along with all the last month's entries too. Even at 2 am.

Unless I've misunderstood your post, it looks like Natwest need to do some systems catch-up. Can you give an example of the kind of transaction that doesn't show up anywhere, immediately?

I think I understand what the OP is saying. He has many transactions through his account each day, and wants to see them 'live'. The summary screen only shows a few transactions, which would be fine for most users. However, on the full 'statement' screen you don't see the full details of the transaction until the next day. For example, if I make a payment from my Natwest business account, I will see a reference of 'CALL0001' or suchlike until the next day.
  • Options
    BassthoundBassthound Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I go to Saintsbury's and spend £50 on my debit card my available balance will be updated to reflect the £50 but the actual statement shows nothing for 2 to 3 days, more on a bank holiday weekend.

I think the marker gets placed on your account to say you've spent some money (i.e. deducted from your available balance) but until the vendor actually asks the bank for the money and presents the transaction details then the bank can't update the transaction narrative with the details of the transaction.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bassthound wrote: »
    I think the marker gets placed on your account to say you've spent some money (i.e. deducted from your available balance) but until the vendor actually asks the bank for the money and presents the transaction details then the bank can't update the transaction narrative with the details of the transaction.

Hmmm. Definitely a step backwards though. I know this wasn't the case until a few months back. I have had NatWest online banking for some time now and it was certainly the case that if I spent that £50 it would be in the statement by the time I got home.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I don't understand why they don't show everything all in one go - it seems to be an archaic system they are using.
    Unless I've misunderstood your post, it looks like Natwest need to do some systems catch-up. Can you give an example of the kind of transaction that doesn't show up anywhere, immediately?
    Stig wrote: »
    I think I understand what the OP is saying. He has many transactions through his account each day, and wants to see them 'live'. The summary screen only shows a few transactions, which would be fine for most users. However, on the full 'statement' screen you don't see the full details of the transaction until the next day. For example, if I make a payment from my Natwest business account, I will see a reference of 'CALL0001' or suchlike until the next day.

Hi d'@ve & stig, it is all, and any, type of transaction that falls into the ‘dead zone’ between the ‘full statement’ and the account summary that can’t be viewed.

However, I‘ve been doing a bit of digging the past few days and it appears that this ‘feature’ of hidden transactions was happening most days last week. A contact of mine who is also a NatWest customer told me they had experienced the same issues as I had.

This transaction ‘black hole’ should definitely not happen as all outgoing transactions, no more matter when they occur, should appear on the ‘full statement’ pretty much real-time; the problem being that all too often they don’t !

The only times I notice the problem is when I have to confirm or query a recent transaction only to find that it is in the ‘dead zone’ and hidden from view. It doesn’t happen every time but enough times to cause me problems; so how often it occurs in the background without me being aware God only knows. However, when I do need to confirm/query a transaction and I can’t readily see the info then believe me it is ‘bloody annoying’.

I’ve given up seeking clarification from NatWest. The problem is obviously an intermittent shortcoming of NatWest’s system – somewhere!.

I remember hearing recently a ‘begrudging’ acknowledgement, from a senior source, that the RBS/NatWest system is in need of some updating. I don’t how much they have in the I.T. budget for that; probably not much after they've finished giving most of it away in bonuses; but hey hey, that’s another story.
    Regards
  • Options
    BassthoundBassthound Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    Hi d'@ve & stig, it is all, and any, type of transaction that falls into the ‘dead zone’ between the ‘full statement’ and the account summary that can’t be viewed.

However, I‘ve been doing a bit of digging the past few days and it appears that this ‘feature’ of hidden transactions was happening most days last week. A contact of mine who is also a NatWest customer told me they had experienced the same issues as I had.

This transaction ‘black hole’ should definitely not happen as all outgoing transactions, no more matter when they occur, should appear on the ‘full statement’ pretty much real-time; the problem being that all too often they don’t !

The only times I notice the problem is when I have to confirm or query a recent transaction only to find that it is in the ‘dead zone’ and hidden from view. It doesn’t happen every time but enough times to cause me problems; so how often it occurs in the background without me being aware God only knows. However, when I do need to confirm/query a transaction and I can’t readily see the info then believe me it is ‘bloody annoying’.

I’ve given up seeking clarification from NatWest. The problem is obviously an intermittent shortcoming of NatWest’s system – somewhere!.

I remember hearing recently a ‘begrudging’ acknowledgement, from a senior source, that the RBS/NatWest system is in need of some updating. I don’t how much they have in the I.T. budget for that; probably not much after they've finished giving most of it away in bonuses; but hey hey, that’s another story.
    Regards

I must admit I don't think I've ever had full transactions detail appear on a statement for debit card transactions but then again I can't say I ever look that closely.

Faster Payment transaction appear right away as well as inter-account tranfers.

This is a public forum but I think I can still say that I work in Technology for a large Scottish based financial institution. I'll let you work out which one it might be.

As part of the cost slashing a lot of application enhancements are overdue. Anything that is FSC mandatory or ensure extra revenue is still being done but a price is being paid at the moment for the lack of investment in some areas over the last few years. For short term cost reasons almost all development is now done overseas which has led to a number of challenges.

If it's any consolation I've got a Citibank account for when I'm in the states and any card payment can take up to (and sometimes more than ) a week for it to affect the available balance let alone details on the statement.
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These two links with regard to Money, might be of use!

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dfa5b7bd-b200-4cd5-9e39-199dbadff09d/money-2005-and-1105-patch

http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx

I've successfully created an installation disc with the new files following the instructions in the second post.

They work quite happily in Windows 7 & 8 - 64 bit, without any compatibility probems!

I apologise if posting these particular links breaks any forum conditions, that I might have overlooked.:o

I finally decided to reinstall Money on my main PC and immediately found that it wouldn't work so then looked at these suggested links.
    However, I also did another Google search and discovered that Microsoft have made the patch available as a separate file again due to the many complaints.
    So, I was able to use my original installation disc, and then download and run the patch file. This meant that the updated installation would now recognise the backup file from my laptop.
    I should keep this patch file somewhere safe just in case!