Please, don't five Claudia the job.

islandmanislandman Posts: 573
Forum Member
✭✭
Please, don't give Claudia the job. She is fine where I can't see her but to offer this would be the end of the show for me and many others I suspect.

Why?

She irritates me when she wobbles from one leg to the other when she is on screen. I've frequently thought she must have a balance problem.

She annoys me when she cannot wait for her turn to speak and lands her first uttered word plainly on the last word coming from the co-presenters mouth.

She makes my blood boil when even though she concedes someone else is speaking, she is constantly showing some body movement to take your eyes from the other presenter to look at her.

She has so much make-up on her eyes/lashes, that she literally has to squint to see anything.

Don't think I have just made this up, I have made my views known to the producers many times and their response is that she is liked by the public. That maybe so, but my bet is that I am not alone in holding these views.

If she were to land the job, then I would have a choice. Either not watch, or record it and fast forward each time she appears on screen.

If you read this Claudia. IMO, it is constructive comment. Only you can rectify it.

Comments

• Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Very many of us had the problem of either not watching, muting or recording and fast forwarding throughout the last 10 years with Fforsyth. You can enjoy the rest of the show and just miss out the bits that don't please you, but which many others will be very happy with.

Claudia presents the Great British Sewing Bee and is brilliant on it. She empathises with the contestants, encouraging them when they're doing well, asking sensible questions of them and consoling them when they get a bit upset. She also adds the odd witicism in appropriate places. And she shows that you don't need to know a subject in order to present a programme about it as she is enthusiastic about learning the techniques the contestants are using.

Her makeup is her affair and no-one else's. Its part of who she is and she doesn't need to "rectify" who she is.
  • Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But given all the arguments about Bruce, wouldn't it better not to have a marmite presenter? I don't really accept the argument "I had to fast forward Bruce, so why can't you?" For a programme with wide appeal couldn't we try and find a presenter with wide appeal (ok, I know there are some limits), rather than someone who some love and some hate?
    Forum Member
    You're always going to have a "marmite" presenter because we don't all like the same style of presenting, age, dress, personality, etc. You will never please everyone. You've only got to look at the reactions for and against all of the suggestions made on here to see that.

The fact that Tess and Claudia didn't lose viewers and actually gained some when they took over in Fforsyth's absences shows they were at least accepted and did a good job.

Oh, and islandman, makeup can't make you squint - hair actually actually touching the eyeball (which isn't the case with Claudia), or bright lights can. You can be allergic to some makeup, but then you wouldn't use it because, at the very least, your eyes would swell and water.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind Claudia becoming a permanent fixture on the show but in Tess's role, not as main presenter. Actually now Bruce has gone and if they want to really shake things up and replace Tess as well, Emma Willis has just done a great job on the Voice and has proved she can handle a live presenter role with class and humour.
  • IlluvatarIlluvatar Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Claudia has also had issues with her vision in the past.

Tess can be the main presenter - she is the glamorous blonde who has to introduce the couples and move the show along.

Claudia has such a way with the contestants, you can tell they love her and she injects genuine humour and warmth into the show. Claudia should definitely come in on a permanent basis if she wants the job.
  • Dilly 1Dilly 1 Posts: 39,906
    Forum Member
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    islandman wrote: »
    Please, don't give Claudia the job. She is fine where I can't see her but to offer this would be the end of the show for me and many others I suspect.

Why?

She irritates me when she wobbles from one leg to the other when she is on screen. I've frequently thought she must have a balance problem.

She annoys me when she cannot wait for her turn to speak and lands her first uttered word plainly on the last word coming from the co-presenters mouth.

She makes my blood boil when even though she concedes someone else is speaking, she is constantly showing some body movement to take your eyes from the other presenter to look at her.

She has so much make-up on her eyes/lashes, that she literally has to squint to see anything.

Don't think I have just made this up, I have made my views known to the producers many times and their response is that she is liked by the public. That maybe so, but my bet is that I am not alone in holding these views.

If she were to land the job, then I would have a choice. Either not watch, or record it and fast forward each time she appears on screen.

If you read this Claudia. IMO, it is constructive comment. Only you can rectify it.

I don't think the BBC would put Claudia in a top spot, imo she will never be a proper presenter....she is just a side kick....someone to laugh at...never take serious. For everyone she please she has five times more who find her the most annoying/silly/childish being on the planet.....I certainly wouldn't watch her....
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Dilly 1 wrote: »

If they do go for Claudia and Tess I hope that Claudia does have the main role, I think that would work a lot better than how the Brucie-free shows have been done in the past.
  • islandmanislandman Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seymour wrote: »
    I don't think the BBC would put Claudia in a top spot, imo she will never be a proper presenter....she is just a side kick....someone to laugh at...never take serious. For everyone she please she has five times more who find her the most annoying/silly/childish being on the planet.....I certainly wouldn't watch her....

Thank you Seymour. It is good to know I'm not alone.

PS, if it is her hair aggravating her eyes so that she squints, why on earch dosen't she have it trimmed ?.

actually the idea of having a non-marmite presenter seems a good idea.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are no non-marmite presenters. Everyone seems to love Emma Willis but her screeching voice and bland inanities would have me reaching for the off switch. I love Graham Norton for the role but plenty of other people would find him too cutting or wouldn't like the idea of a gay person presenting. You're never going to find someone who pleases everyone but I'd argue that picking someone who has already been shown not to significantly alienate the audience ratings wise when they present like Claudia or Tess would be a sensible move.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see Claudia get the job. As far as her eyes are concerned there was an article on her in the Telegraph when TGBSB started and she mentioned having had several operations on her eyes. She is currently my favourite of those mentioned.
    My immediate reaction to one or two names mentioned was 'Oh No way', even so I like the programme so would try and stick with it. Mostly they all deserve a chance to prove themselves but for me Claudia already has.
  • Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you google Claudia you will find very polarised views on her. Yes Graham Norton is marmite too, but I don't think quoting his name proves a point.

I honestly don't care about her eyesight or any other physical attribute. Sorry, but I rarely get personal about anyone on Strictly, but I just have no time at all for childlike women who are in their forties (yes I do understand that she is supposed to be dry and witty and that she has impressive educational qualifications). It takes quite a lot to bring out the rampaging feminist in me, but she manages to do it.

Nevertheless, I've had my say. If she does do it, I'll keep things in perspective. I won't go on and on about her, and certainly would not create lots of threads criticising her. Nor would I bother to fast forward. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see how she's childlike, she just treats the show as what it is - light entertainment. A comforting comment here, a joke here and she gives it a light-hearted factor while actually being funny which is something Forsyth never managed.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me Claudia is the worst part of SCD. She adopts a ghoulish hunchback pose and gallops onstage. I could not think of a presenter less suited to a dance show. Perhaps the most inelegant person on television.

Not a criticism of her at all as most television shows do not require good looks or elegance.

But maybe her scary persona will be fine for the Halloween Special if Bruce is doing the Christmas Special. She can come as she is.
  • islandmanislandman Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me Claudia is the worst part of SCD. She adopts a ghoulish hunchback pose and gallops onstage. I could not think of a presenter less suited to a dance show. Perhaps the most inelegant person on television.

Not a criticism of her at all as most television shows do not require good looks or elegance.

But maybe her scary persona will be fine for the Halloween Special if Bruce is doing the Christmas Special. She can come as she is.

Yes Henry, all that as well !
  • Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dilly 1 wrote: »

It's a good point of who would take Bruce's role as Tess usually does but I think i'd prefer Claudia to do it as i think her banter with the judges would be good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Claudia isn't being judged on her dancing.

We tend to leave that for the contestants.

If she was a contestant, yes, this would be a problem. But she's not so it isn't.
  • nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the BBC would put Claudia in a top spot, imo she will never be a proper presenter....she is just a side kick....someone to laugh at...never take serious.

Yep she rocks the sidekick role over at Film2013 etc ;-)
    Forum Member
    I don't think the BBC would put Claudia in a top spot, imo she will never be a proper presenter....she is just a side kick....someone to laugh at...never take serious.
    As I've already said, she's absolutely brilliant solely presenting the Great British Sewing Bee. She admits to knowing nothing about sewing, but that hasn't mattered, she is perfect in support for the contestants, asks sensible questions and does an excellent filmed segment on some aspect of the history of textiles each week.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    As I've already said, she's absolutely brilliant solely presenting the Great British Sewing Bee. She admits to knowing nothing about sewing, but that hasn't mattered, she is perfect in support for the contestants, asks sensible questions and does an excellent filmed segment on some aspect of the history of textiles each week.

She's very safe, the audience know her and are used to her and added to the fact she is an excellent presenter and good with people (As Sewing Bee has proven) I can't see anyone else doing the job, at least not without giving her and Tess a shot at a whole series, if it doesn't work, fine then you look at other presenters but as this whole thing has proved the reason Bruce has done it so long is that there really isn't anyone to replace him that won't cause friction in some elements.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would Claudia Winkleman getting the main job put Tess Daley's nose out of joint ?
    Too be honest I don't think she would be perfect, but better than the alternatives ?

Edit..... just thought of another entertainer to fill the spot, Bob Downe the Aussie singer and safari suit wearer.
  • sueh21sueh21 Posts: 2,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they do go for Claudia and Tess I hope that Claudia does have the main role, I think that would work a lot better than how the Brucie-free shows have been done in the past.

Can't see Tess going for that! At least ,if that article is correct Vernon is out of the running:)
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They won't go for Claudia as the main presenter . If she was being considered they surely would have given her a chance all the times Bruce was missing last year and previous to that .

It should be Tess as the main presenter with Claudia assisting or Anton as the main presenter with Tess assisting .
  • dale gdale g Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I think Claudia would be the perfect choice for replacing Brucie (or supporting presenter to Tess) on Strictly, she has certainly proved herself with the Results show over the last few years. The show has managed to run well with Claudia and Tess.

Claudia has shown very different presenting styles, when she interviews the contestants and pro's, she shows empathy and warmth, she really cares and is all round supportive to them in any situation.

Plus, she has that comedy element with her witty remarks throughout. She makes me laugh. :):)

I have missed her since she left It Takes Two, this is the perfect way to bring her on the main show, I have also been impressed with her presenting style on the Sewing Bee programme, again supporting the contestants, whilst having a laugh with a wink and smile. :)
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should try the next series with the set up when Bruce was away. Tess doing the main role & Claudia in the tesspit. This is a safe solution to see how it goes