Options

Were you a happy teen?

WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Inspired by the 80s thread, I thought I'd ask this pertinent question:

Were/are you happy as a teen? Or instead, were/are you full of teen angst? Or perhaps somewhere in the middle?

And what were the key reasons behind that life satisfaction/dissatisfaction during those turbulent teen years?

How happy were/are you as a teen? 138 votes

Happy overall, good times were had!
21% 29 votes
It was ok, plenty of ups & downs
39% 55 votes
Miserable, I try my hardest to blank it out
39% 54 votes

Comments

• Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not!

Key reason: Bullying.

Many regrets about the way I let it affect me, but alas, we cannot change the past. Can only try to enjoy the rest of my 20s now. :D
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very unhappy and depressed.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

It was totally horrific.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a teen was a breeze.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    my teenage years were awful, just the same as my 20's. am not confident that my 30's will be any different
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a great time in my teens. My friends were the best ever. :)
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The early teenage years were awful. I was bullied at school but I left at 15 (my 16th birthday was in the school holidays). Once I started college and mixed with different people I had a great time. No one seemed to do any bullying at college.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I still am one, but no I haven't. I'd say about half of the crap that's happened is my own doing though.

When you're a teenager everything's so uncertain, you're self conscious as hell, and the rest. Hormones really aren't a lot of teenagers best friends, and mine's well and truly piss in my cornflakes sometimes :blush:

I'm slowly starting to do better but there's always a few days of the month where I just implode. And when that happens it's in my own best interest not to speak to people. I sometimes wonder if something one day triggered me to be the way I am, and if something did, if that stimulus to the trigger wasn't there, maybe I would have had a great adolescence? Probably not lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »
    I had a great time in my teens. My friends were the best ever. :)

Me as well Uffa.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    On paper I should have been. I had it so easy compared to others. In reality I was a bit of a miserable bastard though, up until 16 or so anyway. It was usually just teenage angst.
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still a teen and I think I've had quite a good few years. There have been some downs but a lot more ups :)
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I was insufferable!
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 139,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer where I am now
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Loved mine. Had a great time.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voted for the middle one.

Some good times, some not so good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    No, I was flipping pissed off and everything was so boring and depressing.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was happiest whilst masturbating, the tears simply rolled down my cheeks.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Split.

13-16.5 - Fairly mundane. Typical schoolboy existence. Hated school.

16.5-19- Brilliant. Left school, discovered alcohol and women. Had a close-nit group of loyal mates. Got right into music - attending gigs and collecting records. Started work, got a car, had money to spend at the weekend and could afford to go away on drunken, debauched holidays. Still think of the period as the best years of my life.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    Split.

13-16.5 - Fairly mundane. Typical schoolboy existence. Hated school.

16.5-19- Brilliant. Left school, discovered alcohol and women. Had a close-nit group of loyal mates. Got right into music - attending gigs and collecting records. Started work, got a car, had money to spend at the weekend and could afford to go away on drunken, debauched holidays. Still think of the period as the best years of my life.

I'm similar to you, except i liked school and started college/uni instead of work! 16-21 was awesome period of my life and i also look back on it as probably my best years.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not especially - I got pretty lonely and depressed at times and had one or two humiliating moments at school (stupid army assault day everyone had to participate in, even if your clearly terrified(!) ridiculous nonsense), although it'd probably be a bit melodramatic to say it was totally miserable, as I suppose I did have one or two people to talk to, I liked the learning support lady who helped me in some classes and I had a laugh on ocassion, so I opted for the 'ok' option. I wish I could change what I did though.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated school and didn't have many friends - those I did have were very good at stabbing you in the back. I was bullied all throughout primary school and high school aswell and spent ages 15-19 self harming as a result.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it very difficult - puberty was difficult because my mum never told me anything about what to expect, and talking about periods, etc. was a taboo subject in our house. I felt like a freak, to be honest, as I didn't have the chance to behave the way normal girls did.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poll on this thread is very interesting, with a very wide variety of experiences.

Sartre could have a point-

"Hell is-other people!"
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in the slightest. A mixture of bad puberty and frictional domestic situation. Adulthood has suited me a lot better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Was seriously unhappy. Complicated family issues. Health problems. Bullying. Generally hated school and most of my teens.
    Sport and being fairly decent at football was what got me through those times, when I look back the good times, were football related mostly.

Took until my mid-twenties to get myself and mind sorted out, much more content with life now.