Record without Sky card

essess Posts: 264
Forum Member
One of my kids is playing up so I've said that I'll take Sky away!
If I just took the card out of the box would programmes still record but need the card back in to play back?
Thanks

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    No, it won't record without the card.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no.
    recording capability requires an active subscription, and that needs a card in the box.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change the pin then lock all the channels, then your son won't be able to access anything without a pincode.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    Change the pin then lock all the channels, then your son won't be able to access anything without a pincode.
    God how long would that take doing them all one by one?!
    :o
  • StueyStuey Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless things have changed recently you can record the FTA channels without the card. You need the card in to start the rec ording but once done remove the card and the programme will continue recording until the end - without the card.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    God how long would that take doing them all one by one?!
    :o

A lot, but if you dont lock the channels they aren't likely to watch (Shopping etc) then that will speed it up a bit!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuey wrote: »
    Unless things have changed recently you can record the FTA channels without the card. You need the card in to start the rec ording but once done remove the card and the programme will continue recording until the end - without the card.

recording functions require an active sub and card.
    thus the card needs to be in the box for it to initiate a recording.

are you seriously suggesting the parent goes up and inserts the card every time a recording is due and then removes it again once it has started?
  • StueyStuey Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    recording functions require an active sub and card.
    thus the card needs to be in the box for it to initiate a recording.

are you seriously suggesting the parent goes up and inserts the card every time a recording is due and then removes it again once it has started?

The parent can do whatever the heck they want. I'm just pointing out the techical fact that, unlike with subsciption channels, the box will continue recording the remainder of a programme on an FTA channel following the removal of the card. What you wish to do with it is entirely up to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The parent can do whatever the heck they want. I'm just pointing out the techical fact that the box will continue recording the remainder of a programme on an FTA channel following the removal of the card. What you wish to do with it is entirely up to you.

and i'm just pointing out that it's lubricious to do what you suggested - ie put the card in and then take it out every time a recording is scheduled.

besides, the question the OP asked was if it would record with no card, and the answer to that is NO.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The parent can do whatever the heck they want. I'm just pointing out the techical fact that, unlike with subsciption channels, the box will continue recording the remainder of a programme on an FTA channel following the removal of the card. What you wish to do with it is entirely up to you.

That's not even true though. You can't use a Sky box to record any channel unless you have a valid subscription card.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Why bother interfering with the card at all?

Easier to discreetly remove and replace the Sky HDMI cable going into the TV to suit your own agenda. Your Sky box will function as normal - it just wont show anything on the screen with the cable out.

Or alternatively just hide the Sky remote and/or the TV remote or remove batteries.
    It is unlikely your child would have the savvy or patience to change channels by using the controls on the Sky box. and soon get fed up viewing one channel only.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    and i'm just pointing out that it's lubricious to do what you suggested - ie put the card in and then take it out every time a recording is scheduled.

I suppose putting something in and then taking it back out is potentially lubricious.

Regards

Mark
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Why bother interfering with the card at all?

Easier to discreetly remove and replace the Sky HDMI cable going into the TV to suit your own agenda. Your Sky box will function as normal - it just wont show anything on the screen with the cable out.

It is unlikely your child would have the savvy or patience to change channels by using the controls on the Sky box. and soon get fed up viewing one channel only.
    It rather depends on the child's age. Most are very tech-savvy now and a disconnected/missing cable is something they're likely to suss very quickly.