Petrol costs

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,458
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As a first time driver it's all confusing me.

Does this site, http://www.bp.com/iframe.do?categoryId=9018279&contentId=7033120, give a reliable estimate for how much any journey will cost you in petrol?:)

Comments

• timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It said £23 for a 65 mile journey, so no, it's not accurate. That woul be about 10 litres for us, which would be about £10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So really it gives you an overestimate? lol even better! So how much would you say a trip from Dunstable to London cost in peak hour Monday-Friday?

Or does it all depend on what kind of car, petrol supplier etc? Sorry I really am a dumbass when it comes to this :(
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As in your thread title... "Petrol costs" and here's where you start paying ;)

I can't get that site to work for me, but any long-distance journey should give fairly predictable mileage.

For a typical small, petrol-engined car, you might get 40mpg, so if your journey is 200 miles, that will take 5 gallons of fuel. 5 gallons is 22.72 litres, which will probably cost you around £24.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much would around 30 miles cost? :d
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About £5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, really? I thought petrol was meant to be so high :p

That's only £25 a week!

Where's the catch? lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None that I can think of. We are about £20 a week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohh where do you have to travel from and to? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just from home to work every day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What, in the same town?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, from outside town.
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nagging wrote: »
    As a first time driver it's all confusing me.

Does this site, http://www.bp.com/iframe.do?categoryId=9018279&contentId=7033120, give a reliable estimate for how much any journey will cost you in petrol?:)

No, but then again it doesn't claim to.

I expect that it is giving you the full cost of the journey based on not just petrol, but also the cost of depreciation on your car, road tax, insurance, etc. etc. The cost per mile works out at about 36p so not too far off the Inland Revenue rate of 40p per mile.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the web site on the top post link doesnt work for me. Input your data and then a blank page.

anyway, just for work I do about 83 miles a week, which costs me approx £15. No idea if this is good or not - I think its quite bad - my fuel dial drops slightly even if I just drive down the road (2miles).

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I drive 28 (i think) miles a day, 5 days a week. I can get away with about £35 every two weeks if im lucky.. but that is without going anywhere outside of work. Driving from Reading to Devon (170 miles) uses just over 1/2 a tank of petrol for me so about £20.

But my car is actually quite good on petrol, im really pleased with it.

Always hunt around to find the cheapest garage near you and make sure you fill up there. I fill up at the cheapest one i know that is 1.04 a litre - all the petrol stations on the way to work are 1.08 a litre!
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can get about 60-70 miles on half a tank of petrol....depending on the type of miles - eg you get more for your money on nice flat straight "A" roads, motorways, etc, and a lot less on hilly, twisty bumpy roads.

Where I live all the petrol stations are nearly identical prices - 1.06 per Litre.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Every car is different and older cars are unlikely to perform anywhere near what the manufacturers reckon, the best way to find it out is to test it...

Next time you get petrol, zero your mile counter before you drive away. Then next time you need fuel again, fill her up and write the mileage from your counter on the receipt before zeroing it again. Do this 3 or 4 times to get an accurate result. Once you've got at least 3 receipts, you'll be able to see how many miles you did and how much it cost you - you can then calculate an average price per mile for your car. (If you're trying to work it out for charging petrol money though, don't forget to factor in running costs, such as maintenance, mot, tyres etc!)