Options

New TV Channel Ideas

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    but BBC have a massive archive that they dont show much they have hundreds of premiers at christmas why dont they ever repeat them

Because they pay for the right to show a film a specific number of times - they don't have the rights to show them as often as they like.
  • Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel Crime: Cop movies and programmes are often called crime dramas. But their not. Their cop dramas. Crime dramas should focus on the crims themselves. Channel crime would show programming that focuses on criminal life. Such as Prisoner, Oz, Prison Break, The Sopranos. and crime movies from all around the world such as The Anderson Tapes, The Warriors and Contraband. The broad range of crime drama the channel shows would give the channel a unique, rebellious and anti-authoritarian feel. The idents would show streets, alleyways and police “do not cross” lines. Strictly no cop shows!

4alt: 4alt would show channel 4’s back catalogue of alternative programming. The kind of things they showed on 4later. It would be an entire channel like 4later. It would show the most rebellious, provocative and subversive programming and films as well as the most obscure films and programming for the most alternative audiences. It’s idents would be edgy looking as well as restrained, short and sweet. No three minute long idents like the ones we have to endure on channel 4 now! In fact this would be a return to form for channel 4 because it would be more like the channel, 4 was set up to be. 4alt would show extreme cinema, adult animation, horror and erotic cinema, documentaries about sex and the sex industry, documentaries about horror and erotic films, alternative film and game review shows, banned music videos, and shows for those interested in alternative culture. Other names for the channel could be 4retro or 4alternartive.

Cult TV: This channel would show cult and iconic programmes. Such as The Twilight Zone, The Man From UNCLE, The Land Of The Giants, The A Team, and this is another channel that could show Prisoner Cell Block H. The idents would have a retro and surreal look inspired by the type of programmes it shows.

Channel weird. Like 4alt but independently run.

Cinema weird. This channel would begin broadcasting at 9:00pm and show the weirdest films from around the world, primarily European exploitation films from the 60s, 70s and 80s as well as docs and intro’s to the films.

The soaps and drama channel. This channel would show soaps and drama such as Eastenders, Prisoner, Twin Peaks, Brookside, Sunset Beach and maybe soaps and drama from around the world. But more important than that it would show lots of interviews and features with soap scriptwriters about how to get into the business and tips / instructions about how to write scripts. It would be good to hear producers answer to why soaps always have such poor production values. For example why do producers allow actors to return as different characters. And also have the nerve to get two actors to play one character?!

The channels would have “advert breakers” so commercials didn’t suddenly and obtrusively interrupt programmes with out any notice. They would only show adverts every 15 minutes, they wouldn’t have constant “on screen promotions” and they certainly wouldn’t have tacky premium rate gambling line “competitions” either.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Channel Crime: Cop movies and programmes are often called crime dramas. But their not. Their cop dramas. Crime dramas should focus on the crims themselves. Channel crime would show programming that focuses on criminal life. Such as Prisoner, Oz, Prison Break, The Sopranos. and crime movies from all around the world such as The Anderson Tapes, The Warriors and Contraband. The broad range of crime drama the channel shows would give the channel a unique, rebellious and anti-authoritarian feel. The idents would show streets, alleyways and police “do not cross” lines. Strictly no cop shows!

4alt: 4alt would show channel 4’s back catalogue of alternative programming. The kind of things they showed on 4later. It would be an entire channel like 4later. It would show the most rebellious, provocative and subversive programming and films as well as the most obscure films and programming for the most alternative audiences. It’s idents would be edgy looking as well as restrained, short and sweet. No three minute long idents like the ones we have to endure on channel 4 now! In fact this would be a return to form for channel 4 because it would be more like the channel, 4 was set up to be. 4alt would show extreme cinema, adult animation, horror and erotic cinema, documentaries about sex and the sex industry, documentaries about horror and erotic films, alternative film and game review shows, banned music videos, and shows for those interested in alternative culture. Other names for the channel could be 4retro or 4alternartive.

Cult TV: This channel would show cult and iconic programmes. Such as The Twilight Zone, The Man From UNCLE, The Land Of The Giants, The A Team, and this is another channel that could show Prisoner Cell Block H. The idents would have a retro and surreal look inspired by the type of programmes it shows.

Channel weird. Like 4alt but independently run.

Cinema weird. This channel would begin broadcasting at 9:00pm and show the weirdest films from around the world, primarily European exploitation films from the 60s, 70s and 80s as well as docs and intro’s to the films.

The soaps and drama channel. This channel would show soaps and drama such as Eastenders, Prisoner, Twin Peaks, Brookside, Sunset Beach and maybe soaps and drama from around the world. But more important than that it would show lots of interviews and features with soap scriptwriters about how to get into the business and tips / instructions about how to write scripts. It would be good to hear producers answer to why soaps always have such poor production values. For example why do producers allow actors to return as different characters. And also have the nerve to get two actors to play one character?!

The channels would have “advert breakers” so commercials didn’t suddenly and obtrusively interrupt programmes with out any notice. They would only show adverts every 15 minutes, they wouldn’t have constant “on screen promotions” and they certainly wouldn’t have tacky premium rate gambling line “competitions” either.

i feel like i have read this before :confused:
  • Options
    c0boc0bo Posts: 6,472
    Forum Member
    Nick Junior Classics this a channel which shows classic kids show for e.g. Mr Men and old Thomas episodes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    UK version of MSNBC

You could even have John Prescott as the new Keith Olbermann. :D
  • Options
    Benry_GaleBenry_Gale Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ROTSSonDS wrote: »
    Nick Classics a channel dedicated to showing classic Nickelodeon shows from the early 1990s to 2004
    Came in here with this idea thinking it was amazing and 'nobody will have thought of that yet!'. Apparently the idea of a nick classics channel is more popular than I thought.
  • Options
    east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c0bo wrote: »
    Nick Junior Classics this a channel which shows classic kids show for e.g. Mr Men and old Thomas episodes
    Benry_Gale wrote: »
    Came in here with this idea thinking it was amazing and 'nobody will have thought of that yet!'. Apparently the idea of a nick classics channel is more popular than I thought.

I think the channel would work. They still show the classics strand on Nick Jr. and with the old Nick Jr. DOG too (which was the best and better than the current one) but they only show 1 programme I think.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    You could even have John Prescott as the new Keith Olbermann. :D

Don't know about that :eek::D
  • Options
    jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could start of as one channel and expand into 3,4,5

Channel- The Decade
    Each day they show a different decade of programmes

So 80s- they can have thats what i call 80s music, programmes from 80s

Classic Childrens programmes
    a secletion of Nick, cartoon network and cbbc shows from 1995-2003 that we all grew up with
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Benry_Gale wrote: »

the closest we got to it was nicktoonsters showing catdog
  • Options
    TVCymruTVCymru Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    They'll just show Love Actually and The Bodyguard every week :p :rolleyes:

Flinstones, Kindergarten Cop, They are always on ITV2,
    Green Street on ITV4
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    An up to date channel like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EmlYYD5iA0
  • Options
    east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVCymru wrote: »
    Flinstones, Kindergarten Cop, They are always on ITV2,
    Green Street on ITV4

Ah very true, also those films from Macaulay Culkin, notably Richie Rich because rarely do they show Home Alone.
  • Options
    daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd clearly like:
    Showtime, the usa network, spike tv, amc, the wb and abc.
    Just on delay so that America still gets everything first
  • Options
    pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about CITV classics

kids programmes of the 70s 80s 90s
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    What kind of programming would that show? :D

How about 19 series worth of Big Brother and the live feeds?
    Channel 4/E4's really going to miss being able to just fill any hole they had in a schedule with 'live coverage'
  • Options
    cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    +.5

A channel that starts its programs at 5 past the hour. Therefore, when the rest of the channels go to adverts around 13-15 minutes in, anyone who doesnt want to hear "go compare" or "here come the girls" repeated over and over again can go here (where the adverts will be 5 minutes later than all the other channels.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was saying earlier that there should be a TV channel devoted exclusively to 90s childrens shows. I can't think of a name though :o Told my mum about this idea and she was saying "you don't want much, cnbcwatcher!" :D I hope she doesn't figure out that I'm a DS member.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was saying earlier that there should be a TV channel devoted exclusively to 90s childrens shows. I can't think of a name though :o
    How about TCC? It used to timeshare with Living.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    How about TCC? It used to timeshare with Living.

Maybe that might be a good name. Or what about Children's Channel 1990s? My imagination must have taken the night off :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky 1 +1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Millennium Music - a music channel showing music from the 90s and early '00s (up to 2003). The station would show less mainstream acts (more obscure ones) as well as mainstream music of the era and it would also feature live performances and concerts from 90s and early 00s acts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    TV Retro -

A channel devoted to old tv shows that have either never been shown in the UK or not for years since I'm fed up with seeing the same old crap go round and round our boring existing channels endlessly.

Sitcoms like Designing Women, I Love Lucy, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, The Love Boat etc

Old kids shows & cartoons like Speed Buggy, Metal Mickey, Worzel Gummidge, Space Sentinels, Batfink etc

Old sci-fi shows like Lost In Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel, Bionic Woman, Project UFO etc

Old cult movies - Them, The Wiz, Can't Stop The Music, Kansas City Bomber, Matango:Fungus of Terror etc

Old music and variety shows - Opportunity Knocks, The Gong Show, Donnie & Marie etc

American TV movies from the late 60's and 70's

Someone PLEASE make this happen!!!!
  • Options
    TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Millennium Music - a music channel showing music from the 90s and early '00s (up to 2003). The station would show less mainstream acts (more obscure ones) as well as mainstream music of the era and it would also feature live performances and concerts from 90s and early 00s acts.

That is a great idea and these days music channels play very little music from this era.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a bout T4 showing all the programs that T4 shows at the weekend but replacing Friends with Hollyoaks starting from the beginning.

Roland