Bear TraderBear Trader Posts: 736
Forum Member
✭✭
Can't stand reptiles. :mad:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    I don't mind reptiles. In fact, a friend's son and I once oohed and aahed and held a large female boa constrictor at a pet store with the store employee who is in charge of reptiles. We stroked the snake and she felt cool and silky.

I don't understand why some people keep spiders as pets, though, such as tarantulas or brown recluse spiders. After I'd met the boa, I went over to gawp at some of the spiders and insects in their glass cubbyholes.

Some people even keep hissing Madagascar cockroaches as pets, can you imagine? I find cockroaches to be repulsive on just about every level. If one hissed at me, I'd smuck it with a book!

Still, I would sooner adopt a hissing roach than I would a cat. I don't like cats at all. Cats are evil.

And yes, in order to get over my phobia, I did try to adopt a cat...I did it twice, but things didn't work out. I just can't stand cats.

I would never dream of hurting anyone's pet cat, though. I'll even pat one...as long as I don't have to keep it!
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm the same with cats, i'd never harm one, i'd stroke one (and we even feed a local stray) but i just wouldn't keep one

cockroaches i don;t get either, same with giant centipedes & tarantulas
    with reptiles, i like snakes and lizards, but i don;t like climbing geckos, like your crested and day geckos. leopard and African fat tailed ones are lovely though

don't care for rats or birds really either, despite having a budgie and two chinese painted quail
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    There's a shed near where we live and all manner of feral cats live and breed in the shed. Some do-gooders feed them during our warmer months. I approached one do-gooder once and asked him if he was going to continue to feed the cats in January and he put his eyes down and would not answer me. That, after he'd complained to me about how much a huge bag of kitty kibbles cost him!

Employees who work at a bike shop nearby once put out an aluminum dish full of stuff for them, old toasted hot dog buns (burned) and hot dogs and greasy old french fries. Mr D snatched the plate up and we sashayed down the street with it, crossing our street to the river. We gave the food to the local seagulls and crows.

Don't like to feed feral cats because it strengthens them.

I like geckos and iguanas and all manner of lizards and reptiles.

I like ferrets, too, though they reek and need to be bathed and powdered on a weekly basis. Too much work for me!

One pet that seems to be gaining popularity here is the hedgehog. Now those creatures are cute, but why try to domesticate such an animal, I wonder?

Same as skunks. I knew a guy who had a de-odorized skunk called Lady, and she grew to be so fat and slovenly. I'm sure that she was unhappy. I don't know what became of her.

Birds are my favourite animals of all. We have five budgies, one lovebird and three cockatiels. All but two of our birds are rescues. The two that aren't were gifts -- Doc Holliday and Wyetta Earp, young budgies.

Mr D loathes rats. He's phobic about them, same as I can be about cats. He worked with a guy who had a pet rat, though. When Alain's rat passed away, he cried all day at work. I'm sure that there's a humongous difference between a common sewer rat and a rat who is bred to be a pet, though. I've heard that pet rats can be very cuddly and are intelligent, though I'm not about to find out about this firsthand. :)

I googled Chinese painted quail as I've never heard of them. They are beautiful birds! Lovely!
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we started with 5, but nature has done it's work on them unfortunately, they used to reside in the bottom of my sisters aviary, in which she had about 10 budgies
    gave them away when she moved out though (while they were lovely to look at, they just wouldn't have gotten enough attention staying here) they went up the road to a fella who has an even bigger aviary and joined his birds.
    Louie, the one we still have never got on with other birds so we kept him indoors, tried him with different hen birds and a cock - with every one he just preferred to seek out shiny objects and kiss himself in them :rolleyes:
    they'd go up to him and he'd walk away, so we gave in and left him on his own with a mirror
    he seems happy enough teasing the dog

this cat we feed is one of the most affectionate ones i've ever met, he's neutered too, so probably a home deserter (we've hear tales that he used to belong to the ferret man up the street, but he never seems to go near the place)

i like ferrets too, but they are quite fragrant, i cant have them anyway cause of my rabbits, i looked after my friends two baby ferrets one summer and my buns started lunging for my hands when i fed them, which is fair enough really, it stressed them out a lot more than i thought it would

pet rats are different and can be quite lovely, as you say, but i just couldn't keep them, i'll stick to my mice!
  • Options
    Chewy DuckChewy Duck Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    I'd say a parrot. They are very intelligent, need massive amounts of attention and live as long as we do. Unless you can commit to such a beautiful creature, you shouldn't keep them. They can become very depressed and very vicious, which make them unsuitable for most people.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never.ever, try to keep a blue whale as a pet. Really not worth the effort.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snakes :eek: I am really scared of them.
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    Dodoboid wrote: »
    There's a shed near where we live and all manner of feral cats live and breed in the shed. Some do-gooders feed them during our warmer months. I approached one do-gooder once and asked him if he was going to continue to feed the cats in January and he put his eyes down and would not answer me. That, after he'd complained to me about how much a huge bag of kitty kibbles cost him!

Employees who work at a bike shop nearby once put out an aluminum dish full of stuff for them, old toasted hot dog buns (burned) and hot dogs and greasy old french fries. Mr D snatched the plate up and we sashayed down the street with it, crossing our street to the river. We gave the food to the local seagulls and crows.

Don't like to feed feral cats because it strengthens them.

Aren't you clever? Pat yourself on the back. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Can't stand reptiles. :mad:

i agree - they're not very cuddly..
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Caged birds.

My ex's Mum had a love bird - the noise it made gave me a constant headache - a piercing sort of squawk. All the time. Made me want to shoot it (and I'm an animal lover!)

When it was let out of the cage, it flew aimlessly round the room and divebombed you. That, or covered everything in sh*t.

Give me a cat (or four) any time!
  • Options
    MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    Caged birds.

My ex's Mum had a love bird - the noise it made gave me a constant headache - a piercing sort of squawk. All the time. Made me want to shoot it (and I'm an animal lover!)

When it was let out of the cage, it flew aimlessly round the room and divebombed you. That, or covered everything in sh*t.

Give me a cat (or four) any time!

I agree with this. I also feel a bit sorry for birds stuck in a cage, i always think they would prefer to be out flying around. :( Especially the larger birds like parrots etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't understand why some think cats are evil. :confused: Is it the connection with Witches? I love cats! :)

Not at all keen on rats myself. Rather have several cats than any other pets though.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Cats, I could keep every animal apart from them,they are just too evil to other animals.

At the moment we have a dog a fish a budgie a rabbit and a guinea, all very loving( yes even the fish,lol)
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything with more than 4 legs ! Actually even if spiders only had 4 legs they would win hands down no problem.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which ever of the dirty beggers that left a poop in the kitchen!!! I'd only been out 2 hours and they've all been walked!!!!!

Oh.....not that kind of thread......:o
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Chinchillas.Whats the point |?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snakes. I don't see the point in them. Or gerbils. Way too skitish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cats, easily cats, they are a pain in the butt, they harm or kill all manner of other creatures sometimes just for fun. we have a cat, took him in when my uncle couldnt keep the 2 kittens he had, that was 5 years ago, not sure ive ever regretted anything so much. he comes home when he feels like it, just for food, opens the back or front door and lets a draft in and then meows and walks out again for no apparent reason, shows very little affection, and leaves parts of the last creature he delightfully disembowelled across the garden. if i could be assured of a good home for him for life, i would gladly rehome him, but as i wont let him go to a possibly bad home hes stuck here with us,hes spoilt like the rest of our pets but theres no real bond there. sounds harsh, but ive never ever been a cat person, my soft side gave in when my uncle couldnt keep him, but i will never own another cat.

our dog, fish, guinea pigs, mouse and even snakes are all so much fun to own, and we couldnt part with any of them :)
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fish. Boring. just something to look at.

Caged birds. Birds shouldn't be caged. my sister had a budgy. she gave it away after a year. It hated her. And no wonder, being locked in a cage all day.
    Birds should be flying. it's cruel to keep them.
  • Options
    Butcher BillButcher Bill Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insects.

Just couldn't get up for that.