Katarina Witt :(

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SheShe wrote: »
    Katarina was great tonight! Really knows What she's talking about and is very amusing too.

I agree too! I like all the panel this year.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    SheShe wrote: »
    What? :confused:

I thought Katarina was excellent and her English is amazing! I didn't have the slightest problem understanding her.

Have you ever heard Sebastien Vettel's English. Perfect in every way with all the idomatice English phrases. How clever these Germans are with the English language.
    Witt is very clea and so easy easy to understand although she has more of a Germanic tone to here excellent English.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is a credible judge with very clear spoken English, albeit with an accent. The best panel line up they have had of all series.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    I'm not saying Karl is 'wrong' to dislike her on that basis but I do think he's being harsh - personally I would be more forgiving of her not just because she's talented but because I can only imagine how how hard it is to be young in a totalitarian society - she probably hated it as much as the average East German but was afraid to speak out against it! I wouldn't be surprised if the Stasi persuaded her to speak in parliament! And so what if she changed allegiances - the Soviet bloc had crumbled afterall!

It's not just because she's talented I'm cutting her slack- believe me there are plenty of celebrities whose talent I admire but I dislike them as people - though I save my real scorn for ghastly untalented z listers like Price and Katona! I bet they don't have anyone has ghastly as those two in Germany - perhaps Karl should thank his lucky stars for that!
    The wiki quote (see Tiggergirl's post) suggests that far from hating the East German regime Katarina lived a very comfortable lifestyle under totalitarian rule..

I'm not judging her choices - but I do think that KarlHyde is in a better position than we are to comment on her fellow Germans public perception of her character.

Having said that, as a skater she enchanted me and I think her knowledge and expertise of skating adds value to the panel. That is all I expect from a judge.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She came over a bit too Arlene Phillips for my taste last night, but as Louis was squealing like a wee girlie too (and Christine kept on and on about it), I suspect the production team had put them up to it.

Or maybe I am just cynical as I just cannot seriously believe that anyone thought an already unattractive Matthew looked "hot" in tacky pleather?

In general though, happy with this year's panel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I really like Katarina - in fact I like the whole panel this year - they've replaced some questionable celebrities (I like Emma Bunton, but what does she have to do with either dancing or ice skating - and I don't count Spice Girls routines as dancing!) with some real credible judges. And Katarina made me laugh out loud at the TV last night. I like how they are asking Karen her opinions too. Up yours, Jason!!
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    The wiki quote (see Tiggergirl's post) suggests that far from hating the East German regime Katarina lived a very comfortable lifestyle under totalitarian rule..

I'm not judging her choices - but I do think that KarlHyde is in a better position than we are to comment on her fellow Germans public perception of her character.

Having said that, as a skater she enchanted me and I think her knowledge and expertise of skating adds value to the panel. That is all I expect from a judge.

I read the wiki quote and it said those sweetners were given to her to stop her from defecting - she would also have had family to consider if she had chosen to defect.

A 'comfortable lifestyle' doesn't compensate for lack of free speech - I said 'probably' hated it ;) but who knows what her true feelings were about that regime - but I don't agree it's as simple as her being fully for it - the speech to the German parliament that Karl mentioned notwithstanding. I do agree that he's in a better position to comment on how Germans view her though.