Climbed Every Mountain: The Story Behind the Sound of Music - BBC2

WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I found this a very interesting documentary, really highlights the difference between the fantasy and the reality of the Von Trapp family. Plus the mountain scenery around Salzburg is incredible, makes me want to pack my bags and go!

Comments

• valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue Perkins seems to be on everything just lately, must be filling a quota.:rolleyes:
  • MistyBlueEyesMistyBlueEyes Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this when it first hit the cinema teacher took our class , and i have been hooked ever since, as much as i found it interesting in parts , i did not want my SOM bubble burst, plus i felt Sue P did not do a good job on it
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hoping they might mention the Lancashire and Bolton connection to the family!
  • WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Lancashire & Bolton connection is that? :eek:

I like Sue Perkins, though I can imagine she's a bit of a marmite presenter. Still, she makes a refreshing change from the identikit clones.
  • bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I was hoping they might mention the Lancashire and Bolton connection to the family!

Yes please tell us! :)
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't seen the doc but I've read a lot about the real Von Trapps and the musical does take a few liberties but it's still a classic both on stage and on film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpuO0oAjjBU

has more realism than the real film ;)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bloodynora wrote: »
    Yes please tell us! :)

The first wife of Georg Ludwig von Trapp was Agathe Whitehead, granddaughter of Robert Whitehead inventor of the self-propelled torpedo. Most of the children were from the first marriage.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this a very interesting documentary, really highlights the difference between the fantasy and the reality of the Von Trapp family. Plus the mountain scenery around Salzburg is incredible, makes me want to pack my bags and go!

It is beautiful there. We went in 2001 and my son who was quite young then, ran through that famous archway singing "Doh Ray Me". We were told by the guide we had there that they Austrians didn't like it, seems a shame really, especially as most of them have never even seen it.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    I once travelled by train from Munich to Tyrol and some of the scenery was breathtaking inbetween. Think mountains with little hamlets centred around churches dotted along the landscape.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Sue Perkins seems to be on everything just lately, must be filling a quota.:rolleyes:

We get it: you don't like gay people on TV. But why not have the guts to actually spell out your homophobia?
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The children did not like how Georg was portrayed in the musical and subsequent film, he was actually a nicer man who encouraged the singing rather than cold hearted.
  • BillyBoy7BillyBoy7 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »

I thought Sue handled the program really well and I don't think she's overexposed on TV.

Now if you were talking about Sarah Millican!!!

To have someone so talentless on every other program, she must have the best agent in the business.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BillyBoy7 wrote: »
    I thought Sue handled the program really well and I don't think she's overexposed on TV.

Now if you were talking about Sarah Millican!!!

To have someone so talentless on every other program, she must have the best agent in the business.

Firstly, I should state that I do not know, nor have any vested interest in Sue Perkins, but reading back what I've written before posting it it does read that way :D

Anyway, I love Sue Perkins - the programmes she chooses to do (or is asked to do) she clearly has an interest in. She isn't just there to 'fulfill a quota' for anything. (A reason which I think is often used very cynically to cover up some sort of issue the person complaining has with the theme of the 'quota' in question...). Sue really puts her heart and soul into the programmes she does, and clearly either already has a great deal of knowledge about the subject herself, or does a lot of research to make sure she has. Several times now I've seen her trying to speak in German and French out of respect to people of those nationalities that she meets - as she did in the 'Climbed Every Mountain' programme (which I enjoyed immensely). Sue might not have a great command of either language, but at least she tries before going back to English (or a mixture of the two)!

She's great with Giles Coren in the 'Supersizers Go/Eat...' series - she has a genuine warmth an affection for him, and balances his act of being rather 'arrogant' (I'm not sure if he is, but sometimes plays it as if he is!) by being much more down to earth and humble. Although out of preference a vegetarian, she throws herself into those programmes trying everything put in front of her and isn't the least bit precious about it. She's sympathetic and encouraging on 'The Great British Bake Off' too, as is Mel, and clearly likes her food (the food theme again!) and engages with the contestants in a very natural way.

But other than those programmes, and I think one other I've forgotten, I can't think of anything else she's been on recently - I'd hardly call that over-exposed, and her sexuality has nothing to do with her ability or choice to present shows. If it did she'd be doing anything and everything that she wasn't interested in (or someone else would be making her do it from 'on high' in the TV world) and that's the thing I've always noticed about Sue's more recent career - she only does stuff she, herself, has a genuine interest in. Good for her - she's a stage in her life and career when she can make that choice (as most of us would like to be!) rather than just doing any job that comes her way. And, more than anything, she seems like someone you'd actually like to get to know.

Now, as BillyBoy said, Sarah Millican on the other hand... she's everywhere, and she's not even funny! Or maybe someone thinks she's fulfilling the 'female comics from the North-East of England' quota on TV?
  • UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found it a bit childish. Part of it was in the 'dress in the clothes of the era' method of TV doc making, normally reserved for childrens TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Sue Perkins is undoubtedly becoming over-exposed: after "Maestro", she's now one of the Beeb's stable of supposedly loveable 'personality' presenters, to be attached to any mildly humorous project which needs jollying along. With some people, this works - the current BBC2 series of likeable slebs on 'dangerous' drives is unobjectionable - but with some, not.

Ms P is definitely in the second category. It's a matter of taste, but neither I nor my partner can bear her - well, let's call it Perkiness. She's like an intelligent but irritatingly persistent older child - and we know a few - who insists on trying to join in the conversation, and fails to realise from the adults' fixed smiles that her every remark is just a little off-target and missing the point. She's just not funny, and no amount of arch pouting at the camera and faux self-deprecation ("Oh, silly me! I'm useless at everything - but of course, you know - wink, wink - that's not true") can make up for the fact.

To give her what credit she deserves, she is astonishingly good at "Just a Minute", which was featured for a short television series this time last year, but is otherwise regularly on Radio 4. Out of vision, she's almost tolerable.

By the way, the gay issue is a non-starter. The precise sexuality of virtually everyone in Showbiz is a grey area, best left unexamined. I think the quota referred to above must be for women comics; but there are many hilarious women on the same circuit as SP - Sandi Toksvig and Susan Calman, for example - who completely outshine her. She is with Jo Brand and Sarah Millican: to quote Cromwell (and I bet you don't get that very often on DS): "You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you."
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We get it: you don't like gay people on TV. But why not have the guts to actually spell out your homophobia?

Oh dear, so we can't criticise a Gay presenter now lest we be branded a bigot ? :cool:
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I’m concerned Perks could present every current and future BBC programme and I’d still say she wasn’t on enough. We need to clone her so she can present even more shows for other channels!
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    As far as I’m concerned Perks could present every current and future BBC programme and I’d still say she wasn’t on enough. We need to clone her so she can present even more shows for other channels!

Agreed!

It's so refreshing having an intelligent female presenter rather than the overexposed airhead bimbos that have been forced down our throats.
  • cliveb2005cliveb2005 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toymaker wrote: »
    She's like an intelligent but irritatingly persistent older child - and we know a few - who insists on trying to join in the conversation, and fails to realise from the adults' fixed smiles that her every remark is just a little off-target and missing the point. She's just not funny, and no amount of arch pouting at the camera and faux self-deprecation ("Oh, silly me! I'm useless at everything - but of course, you know - wink, wink - that's not true") can make up for the fact.

I know what you mean. If we are watching a programme we like to be able to take in the facts without any cynical/sarcastic asides. After all we watch the programme for it's subject content not because of the presenter.
    To keep myself out of bias I don't care if she is 'straight', gay or celibate !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The first wife of Georg Ludwig von Trapp was Agathe Whitehead, granddaughter of Robert Whitehead inventor of the self-propelled torpedo. Most of the children were from the first marriage.

Well you learn something new everyday!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    I once travelled by train from Munich to Tyrol and some of the scenery was breathtaking inbetween. Think mountains with little hamlets centred around churches dotted along the landscape.

It sounds very tempting, must go :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cliveb2005 wrote: »
    I know what you mean. If we are watching a programme we like to be able to take in the facts without any cynical/sarcastic asides. After all we watch the programme for it's subject content not because of the presenter.
    To keep myself out of bias I don't care if she is 'straight', gay or celibate !

I can see how some people might perceive Sue to be that way, sort of child-like. But in a way that's what I like about her, she's not afraid to be in touch with her inner child and has a boundless enthusiasm for the docs she ends up fronting.

Also, as I mentioned before she does make a refreshing change from the bland presenters that all too often clutter up our screens. I can scarcely tell some of them apart.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue Perkins is undoubtedly becoming over-exposed: after "Maestro", she's now one of the Beeb's stable of supposedly loveable 'personality' presenters, to be attached to any mildly humorous project which needs jollying along. With some people, this works - the current BBC2 series of likeable slebs on 'dangerous' drives is unobjectionable - but with some, not.

Ms P is definitely in the second category. It's a matter of taste, but neither I nor my partner can bear her - well, let's call it Perkiness. She's like an intelligent but irritatingly persistent older child - and we know a few - who insists on trying to join in the conversation, and fails to realise from the adults' fixed smiles that her every remark is just a little off-target and missing the point. She's just not funny, and no amount of arch pouting at the camera and faux self-deprecation ("Oh, silly me! I'm useless at everything - but of course, you know - wink, wink - that's not true") can make up for the fact.

To give her what credit she deserves, she is astonishingly good at "Just a Minute", which was featured for a short television series this time last year, but is otherwise regularly on Radio 4. Out of vision, she's almost tolerable.

By the way, the gay issue is a non-starter. The precise sexuality of virtually everyone in Showbiz is a grey area, best left unexamined. I think the quota referred to above must be for women comics; but there are many hilarious women on the same circuit as SP - Sandi Toksvig and Susan Calman, for example - who completely outshine her. She is with Jo Brand and Sarah Millican: to quote Cromwell (and I bet you don't get that very often on DS): "You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you."

One of my favourite posts, ever. I couldn't agree more. Along with Mel Giedroyc they are the two most self-satisfied tw*ts on tv. They think everything they say is comedy Gold. They just come across as false. They don't care about the contestants. Regardless of whatever the title of the show is. It's the Mel and Sue show as far as their concerned.Their so up themselves, their practically inside out. They present in an ' Aw bless. You don't really understand what we're talking about. So we'll speak in a slow, and patronising' style. And for anyone to try and accuse what are fair comments, as homophobic jibes, is just laughable. They are both just talentless and annoying. Nothing to do with their sexual persuasion. Why do some people use the 'I hate gays' thing as the reason that people base their comments on. I just can't stand them. It's allowed. Some people will say, 'Well, their on TV'. Yes, well we all know how many talentless and annoying prats are on TV. Just the very fact that your on TV doesn't reflect talent or skill, or justify you being there.
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

agree BIB - she tries too hard to be funny/lovable and forgets that the subject and not SP is the star of the show that she's presenting.