What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just started reading Gone by Mo Hayder.The blurb on the back says "a particularly potent blend of terror and horror."
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got around to starting Wolf Hall. Not having the problems some have had with not knowing who Mantel's referring to when she says 'he' - it's usually Cromwell anyway.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Getting near the end of 'The Last 10 Seconds' by Simon Kernick, not someone i've read before and wasn't expecting a great deal to be honest but it's been a great serial killer/crime caper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is It Just Me? by Miranda Hart.

It's weird. Not sure what I was expecting but I definitely didn't expect conversations with her teenage self.
  • KitKat21KitKat21 Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Yard - Alex Grecian. Loving it so far.
  • PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotel K by Kathryn Bonella

Have wanted to read it for a while then with all this stuff with Sandiford sort of forced me to buy it!
  • shakeyershammyshakeyershammy Posts: 18,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mary Queen of Scots by Antonia Fraser. Thoroughly enjoyed Fraser's book on Marie Antoinette so giving this one a go.
  • Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    White Teeth by Zadia Smith

Can't say it'll be a book I'll enjoy all that much, but reading as part of the Book Club at work..
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiction Wool by Hugh Howey
    Not sure yet, having a job getting into it :confused:

Non Fiction 'The Fast Diet': The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer

This is now my Bible for life,
    Eat as norm for 5 days a week, Fast for 2 (can have tiny meals, but max 500 cals these two days 600 for men
    I'm dropping the lbs and have never felt so well ...
    More important its a diet I can live with and stick with and does not affect family meals etc ...
    Really is a health plan/ diet that works and is a joy to be on .... Love it, and it works :D

I can't recommend this enough .... and it costs zero to follow.

Sorry I went on a bit, But am excited about this :D:o
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've finished listening to Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch. Not quite as good as Rivers of London imo but still enjoyable and I'll read the next book.

My next audiobook is The Thirty Nine Steps by John Buchan, narrated by David Thorn. A very short book, only 4hrs 10mins.

I'm still reading the Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman. The Wars of the Roses from the viewpoint of Richard III. It's a long book and I'm about 300 pages in. Very topical in view of the fact that the skeleton recently dug up in a car park in Leicester has been confirmed to be Richard by archaeologists today. There's a programme, Richard III: The King in the Car Park on Channel 4 this evening.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished The Stand last night, and then began The Night Circus.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Am God by Giorgio Faletti
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still reading the Miranda Hart book but forced to read it on the Kindle app on my phone until I get a replacement Kindle :(
  • tykethattykethat Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Just finished I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.
    I am about to start The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started 'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'At Home' by Bill Bryson.Not one of his
    usual travel books,but a sort of collection
    of facts built around the average home!
    Enjoying it so far,and have his book about
    Shakespeare to read next!
  • BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished The Stand last night, and then began The Night Circus.

What did you think?
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BrumBall wrote: »
    What did you think?

I enjoyed it on one level - really liked some of the characters, liked the storyline, enjoyed the build up.

On another, I wondered why it had to take 1300+ pages to tell the story. It became a bit of a chore to get through at times and was probably a poor choice of read in January - I should probably have saved it for the summer holidays when I can really get into a book.

And I didn't like how some of my favourite characters kept dying :(
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Playing For Keeps ~ Cliff Thorburn with Clive Everton
  • PixieGrayPixieGray Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Just started God's Own Country by Ross Raisin. Its his debut novel from 2008...meant to be excellent, sinister and darkly comic.

As it's set on a sheep farm in Yorkshire, is brooding and conveys the landscape and the mind of the young protagonist in an unsettling way, I should be ok with it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished Pines by Blake Crouch and absolutely loved it. It's about a Secret Agent who wakes up after an accident in a remote town called Wayward Pines and has little memory of how he got there or why he's there. His memory gradually returns but he soon realises that the people of Wayward Pines are a bit odd to say the least and for some reason don't seem to want him to leave. I raced through it as I was dying to know what the heck was going on and it pretty much blew me away by the end.

Just started The Killing Hour by Lisa Gardner. 4th in the Quincy and Rainer series and enjoying it so far.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike most people, I found The Midwife's Confession quite dull, but I'm giving Diane Chamberlain another go and reading The Shadow Wife. Enjoying it so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycat wrote: »
    Just finished Pines by Blake Crouch and absolutely loved it. It's about a Secret Agent who wakes up after an accident in a remote town called Wayward Pines and has little memory of how he got there or why he's there. His memory gradually returns but he soon realises that the people of Wayward Pines are a bit odd to say the least and for some reason don't seem to want him to leave. I raced through it as I was dying to know what the heck was going on and it pretty much blew me away by the end.

Just started The Killing Hour by Lisa Gardner. 4th in the Quincy and Rainer series and enjoying it so far.

Let me know when you need another recommendation :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Let me know when you need another recommendation :D

ha, when I'm looking for something to read I just think 'let's see what Lizzy has been reading!!' :)
  • NorthcroftNorthcroft Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    Deadline by Simon Kernick
    Going through them all in order
    He's a brilliant author :)