Options

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary to be in 3D

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    3D is a gimmick. It has always been a gimmick. It always will be a gimmick. Yes, it's been a recent fad, but it's on the wane now, even in cinemas. Doubtless it'll rise its ugly head again in a few years time, be hailed as "the next big thing", then slowly fade away.

Such is life.

I'm with you on this one! I remember it was a 'novelty' in the 80's to have 3D TV shows (cardboard glasses supplied by TVTimes or whatever). Yeah it was fun....but let's face it - it was a bit crap too! It's still a "novelty factor" NOW! Who the hell would buy a 3D TV??? You have to wear special glasses, sit in a certain place...etc...:yawn::yawn: I've got a HD-ready TV - but I don't use HD....my picture is fine thank you very much!
    Until the days of 'Holographic TV' on my coffee table - I'll stick to my 2D telly thank you very much. I can think of better ways to spend my money on!
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It astounds me that people come on here to proclaim they don't like something.

I don't like peas, but I don't come on here banging on about how peas are a fad and that people are fools for spending their money on peas.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't like peas, but I don't come on here banging on about how peas are a fad and that people are fools for spending their money on peas.

But what if this thread was about the taste of different varieties of peas, and after a lengthy discussion it was then announced that peas would no longer be grown as edible crops?
  • Options
    ryanellisryanellis Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    But what if this thread was about the taste of different varieties of peas, and after a lengthy discussion it was then announced that peas would no longer be grown as edible crops?

Well no, it's been announced that one variety of peas has been discontinued. Peas still exist and lots of people still like them. Just one brand of peas have decided to go back to selling sweetcorn doesn't make peas obsolete!
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ryanellis wrote: »
    Well no, it's been announced that one variety of peas has been discontinued. Peas still exist and lots of people still like them. Just one brand of peas have decided to go back to selling sweetcorn doesn't make peas obsolete!

I've had far too much sun, and wine, to understand any of that. A witty retort may follow in the morning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had far too much sun, and wine, to understand any of that. A witty retort may follow in the morning.

By then, the tomatoes will have won the battle, and carrots will be filling the void, making both your peas and sweetcorns meaningless.

Because Tomatoes are the Rani.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ryanellis wrote: »

Correct, but one variety with a unique flavour, grown as a trial, and that had been offered for free, has now been discontinued due to lack of demand, and that variety is grown nowhere else
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, how wrong of people to express a personal opinion on an internet forum. Let's get out the tambourines, come over all happy-clappy and praise everything, whether we like it or not.

All together now: "Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya..."
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Callous wrote: »
    Side by side isn't active shutter only. It's the standard broadcast signal for all 3D. It works fine on passive tv's (it'll work on yours if you press the right button).

On broadcast 3D you have to press the 3d button on your remote and select the side by side option (at least that's how it is on my passive set). 3D broadcasts don't automatically activate your tv's 3d mode, you have to do that yourself.

Only 3D on blu-ray plays automatically in 3D (from my experience at least). Anything else and you have to activate the 3D mode on your tv.

Thanks so much, I had no idea!

If it's so complicated I'm not surprised there's not more take up.
    And I am sure that instruction was given by Sue Barker at the start of today's final.

I heard instructions earlier in the day that definitely didn't explain that. I missed that one then, but they need to advertise it much more if they really want people to enjoy it.

Maybe they expected people to have learned what to do during the olympics (don't remember hearing much about it then either, mind you that's before we had such a set).

Let's hope they get it right for Doctor Who :)
    :p Well lets be honest..if you don't read the tv instruction manual then you're not going to get much of anything to work beyond the basics.....be it HD ,3D, surround sound or smart tv functionality.

It's amazing how many people with HDTV's and HD devices still don't have a clue they aren't watching in HD because they didn't alter settings/buy a HDMI lead.

If that post's to me then the first thing I did when I got my TV was read the manual front to back a few times....only took me about five minutes it's so short. Doesn't even touch on picture options let alone 3D broadcasts (only the way to mimic 3D on non-3D broadcasts). Another example - it just tells you how to connect to the internet so you can 'enjoy' Smart TV...but not really what those features are or anything about how to use it.

Astonishing really for such a nice set.
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nattoyaki wrote: »

I heard instructions earlier in the day that definitely didn't explain that. I missed that one then, but they need to advertise it much more if they really want people to enjoy it.

Maybe they expected people to have learned what to do during the olympics (don't remember hearing much about it then either, mind you that's before we had such a set).

If that post's to me then the first thing I did when I got my TV was read the manual front to back a few times....only took me about five minutes it's so short. Doesn't even touch on picture options let alone 3D broadcasts (only the way to mimic 3D on non-3D broadcasts). Another example - it just tells you how to connect to the internet so you can 'enjoy' Smart TV...but not really what those features are or anything about how to use it.

Astonishing really for such a nice set.

That is odd. Most manuals seem over detailed if anything. I suppose they think people are so tech savvy these days that they skip over some things they really shouldn't.

It does seem slightly odd that there isn't a broadcast signal to automatically switch 3D on (it should be possible).

If your 3D tv has a youtube app (and it's connected online) there's actually bunch of free content you can find on there to test on your set. If you search for yt3d or sbs 3d on the youtube app it should bring up a bunch of stuff. There's a nice 3D dinosaur CGI cartoon on there called Pangea which is very cool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is odd. Most manuals seem over detailed if anything. I suppose they think people are so tech savvy these days that they skip over some things they really shouldn't.

It does seem slightly odd that there isn't a broadcast signal to automatically switch 3D on (it should be possible).

If your 3D tv has a youtube app (and it's connected online) there's actually bunch of free content you can find on there to test on your set. If you search for yt3d or sbs 3d on the youtube app it should bring up a bunch of stuff. There's a nice 3D dinosaur CGI cartoon on there called Pangea which is very cool.

Brilliant, thank you :)

I've just checked - it came with two manuals. One is the 'owner's manual' and apart from how to put it together out the box and all connections all it explains is the remote control and the user guide on the TV which I went through on the first day and doesn't include any instructions for the various options (even picture effects with unfathomable names). There is actually more info about all that on the box :confused:

The other is a 7-page smart TV manual which I ignored at the time as I'm not that interested, but may have a look at now for the 3D stuff. Again - thanks :)

<edit> just looked online and there's a 202 page manual for this TV - I'm damned if I'm going to print that out, will phone the company :mad:
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Astonishing really for such a nice set

thats strange it didnt,what model was it?

i know in the case of mine you press the 3d button and then ok,and it gives me three options 2D-3D,Side by Side and Under/Over
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <edit> just looked online and there's a 202 page manual for this TV - I'm damned if I'm going to print that out, will phone the company :mad:

And what? Ask them to read it to you?

Can you not just read online?
  • Options
    shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant, thank you :)

I've just checked - it came with two manuals. One is the 'owner's manual' and apart from how to put it together out the box and all connections all it explains is the remote control and the user guide on the TV which I went through on the first day and doesn't include any instructions for the various options (even picture effects with unfathomable names). There is actually more info about all that on the box :confused:

The other is a 7-page smart TV manual which I ignored at the time as I'm not that interested, but may have a look at now for the 3D stuff. Again - thanks :)

Does your remote not have a button with '3D' written on it? Every 3D tv I've seen does. A 3D broadcast comes on, you press the '3D' button and put your glasses on. Simple!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The upshot of this post is, if you want to watch the 50th special in 3D, and don't know exactly what to do to watch Freeview 3D broadcasts if you have a passive 3D TV then best phone your TV manufacturer for advice (or clue yourself up if you're lucky enough to have a manual!).
    thats strange it didnt,what model was it?

i know in the case of mine you press the 3d button and then ok,and it gives me three options 2D-3D,Side by Side and Under/Over

LG42LM620T - the set has blown me away. Even better, it had just been replaced when we bought it so got an amazing deal - it's already far more than we expected, and feature-wise years ahead of what we will ever want.

You're quite right about the 3D button. It's just, not having a manual, and trying it during the Wimbledon final, with it not immediately working and then the BBC red button seeming to freeze with a side by side picture and radio commentary, and a relative screaming at me, I didn't have much thinking room!

I imagine there will be a fair few folk upgrading their TVs in the next few months whose first attempt to watch broadcast 3D will be the 50th, and those with passive sets may face similar problems.

I missed the detailed instructions one or two posters have mentioned. It was a long afternoon of tennis so I did have to pop to the loo etc occasionally! I only heard instructions once - Sue Barker said that on the red button there was an option for active 3D, and that if you have a passive set there was an option for that too. That made me think they were different. And she was wrong - there weren't separate options, just the one, and as some of you have kindly explained you then need to set things with your TV remote.

It wasn't explained well, I hope it is for the 50th. But then I doubt Sue Barker will be introducing that (bloody hell I hope not, think I'd have a breakdown after all this!!! :D)
    And what? Ask them to read it to you?

Can you not just read online?

It's posts like these that remind me why I don't like to visit here very much. There are very many really nice people on here, I don't understand attitudes like this :confused:

I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time stating the blooming obvious, but:

- Not everyone has a PC in the same room as their TV just to work out how to use it.

- People do not expect to have to have a computer for an instruction manual - for anything other than a computer.

- Elderly people like the relative I live with can read a paper manual but cannot use the internet.

- The internet can go down, stranger things have happened. What then if you want to work out something on your set?

- Etc etc.

Anyway I called them and they were really helpful. To save on paper the instruction manual is on the TV and the chap told me how to access it (this is unbelievably not mentioned in the 'owner's manual' that came with the set) and not something I was able to find in a few hours playing around with the remote when we first got it.

I was told it's more complicated than even Callous thought. If you have an intelligent TV like ours AND a good quality 1.4 HDMI cable (I had no idea there were later versions of these :confused:) AND an HD box like Sky (we don't - we have BT vision) then it apparently auto-detects, and you just select the option and put your glasses on, which is what I expected.

Missing either or both the last two? Then (with our set at least) you need to watch on Freeview through the TV AND use the 3D button on your remote and change settings to 'side by side' if your TV doesn't auto-detect that (ours doesn't but presumably the newer models will), just as people have said.
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Does your remote not have a button with '3D' written on it? Every 3D tv I've seen does. A 3D broadcast comes on, you press the '3D' button and put your glasses on. Simple!:)

Yes it does. Unfortunately as I've said what I did hear from Sue Barker led me to believe there were separate options for automatic active and passive, and I believed I could only find the active version, and that there was no passive option.

I appreciate I'm also at fault here for not being 'up' on how these things work (or don't!) but I really don't watch much TV, and as far as I understand it this was my last chance to 'practise' how to use our newish TV with a 3D BBC broadcast before the 50th. Lots of others will be upgrading their TVs before then I'm sure, I just hope not too many have the same problem I did, and the announcement is clearer (it really is not that hard - just say that as well as switching to the red button 3D option those with passive sets may have to enter their TVs 3D menu and select 'side by side' if they see two pictures on-screen).

Sorry for the long post but if it helps just one or two it'll be worth it :) I really hope the BBC announce how to use it carefully for the likes of dullards like me :p / the older amongst us who may find this tech rather baffling (like my relative) / those just not 'up' on TV tech.

Thank you very much for all those who posted helpfully and patiently towards me - you will be in my thoughts as I hopefully enjoy the fantastic 50th in 3D and my elderly relative has his socks blown off (he has given up on the Moffat era after adoring Tennant in the RTD era and is completely unaware he is coming back - he is quite disabled so it fills my heart with joy to anticipate him jumping up and down and cheering - and maybe holding back tears - as I know he will :D) :)
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The upshot of this post is, if you want to watch the 50th special in 3D, and don't know exactly what to do to watch Freeview 3D broadcasts if you have a passive 3D TV then best phone your TV manufacturer for advice (or clue yourself up if you're lucky enough to have a manual!).

LG42LM620T - the set has blown me away. Even better, it had just been replaced when we bought it so got an amazing deal - it's already far more than we expected, and feature-wise years ahead of what we will ever want.

You're quite right about the 3D button. It's just, not having a manual, and trying it during the Wimbledon final, with it not immediately working and then the BBC red button seeming to freeze with a side by side picture and radio commentary, and a relative screaming at me, I didn't have much thinking room!

I imagine there will be a fair few folk upgrading their TVs in the next few months whose first attempt to watch broadcast 3D will be the 50th, and those with passive sets may face similar problems.

I missed the detailed instructions one or two posters have mentioned. It was a long afternoon of tennis so I did have to pop to the loo etc occasionally! I only heard instructions once - Sue Barker said that on the red button there was an option for active 3D, and that if you have a passive set there was an option for that too. That made me think they were different. And she was wrong - there weren't separate options, just the one, and as some of you have kindly explained you then need to set things with your TV remote.

It wasn't explained well, I hope it is for the 50th. But then I doubt Sue Barker will be introducing that (bloody hell I hope not, think I'd have a breakdown after all this!!! :D)

It's posts like these that remind me why I don't like to visit here very much. There are very many really nice people on here, I don't understand attitudes like this :confused:

- Not everyone has a PC in the same room as their TV just to work out how to use it.

- People do not expect to have to have a computer for an instruction manual - for anything other than a computer.

- Elderly people like the relative I live with can read a paper manual but cannot use the internet.

- The internet can go down, stranger things have happened. What then if you want to work out something on your set?

- Etc etc.

Anyway I called them and they were really helpful. To save on paper the instruction manual is on the TV and the chap told me how to access it (this is unbelievably not mentioned in the 'owner's manual' that came with the set) and not something I was able to find in a few hours playing around with the remote when we first got it.

I was told it's more complicated than even Callous thought. If you have an intelligent TV like ours AND a good quality 1.4 HDMI cable (I had no idea there were later versions of these :confused:) AND an HD box like Sky (we don't - we have BT vision) then it apparently auto-detects, and you just select the option and put your glasses on, which is what I expected.

Missing either or both the last two? Then (with our set at least) you need to watch on Freeview through the TV AND use the 3D button on your remote and change settings to 'side by side' if your TV doesn't auto-detect that (ours doesn't but presumably the newer models will), just as people have said.

Yes it does. Unfortunately as I've said what I did hear from Sue Barker led me to believe there were separate options for automatic active and passive, and I believed I could only find the active version, and that there was no passive option.

I appreciate I'm also at fault here for not being 'up' on how these things work (or don't!) but I really don't watch much TV, and as far as I understand it this was my last chance to 'practise' how to use our newish TV with a 3D BBC broadcast before the 50th. Lots of others will be upgrading their TVs before then I'm sure, I just hope not too many have the same problem I did, and the announcement is clearer (it really is not that hard - just say that as well as switching to the red button 3D option those with passive sets may have to enter their TVs 3D menu and select 'side by side' if they see two pictures on-screen).

Sorry for the long post but if it helps just one or two it'll be worth it :) I really hope the BBC announce how to use it carefully for the likes of dullards like me :p / the older amongst us who may find this tech rather baffling (like my relative) / those just not 'up' on TV tech.

Thank you very much for all those who posted helpfully and patiently towards me - you will be in my thoughts as I hopefully enjoy the fantastic 50th in 3D and my elderly relative has his socks blown off (he has given up on the Moffat era after adoring Tennant in the RTD era and is completely unaware he is coming back - he is 70 and disabled so it fills my heart with joy to anticipate him jumping up and down and cheering as I know he will :D) :)

Having just read the Manual for your particular TV,there is no mention of how to access 3D and in the user guide its buried 148 pages into a 202 page guide,and even then it says nothing about manual only automatic,so if i had one thing to say to LG it would be,Life might be Good for you but your customers are not psychics or mind readers and need to be told how to use functions;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Having just read the Manual for your particular TV,there is no mention of how to access 3D and in the user guide its buried 148 pages into a 202 page guide,and even then it says nothing about manual only automatic,so if i had one thing to say to LG it would be,Life might be Good for you but your customers are not psychics or mind readers and need to be told how to use functions;)

Bless you, how kind, I am astonished that anyone went to such trouble - wow, there are some really exceptional people posting here (just the kind and non-sarcastic comments were enough to confirm that).

It's a great point and don't worry - I have already given that very advice (and actually much more!) when I spoke on the phone :D

I am so delighted with the set overall (especially at the price we paid) and the customer support was amazing when I phoned, that I can only recommend these LG TVs (despite my confusion trying to use 3D on one very rare broadcast). But if you need a manual they are not the way to go!

Also - do not listen to a word Sue Barker says :D

Which brings us back to the point of the thread, really, I think - it'll hopefully be even better to watch for those with capable sets, but depending on brand it may not be quite as simple as people with other brands think, and I wonder really if it is worth all the fuss and expense for such a small minority who are interested :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

- Etc etc.

Oh what a sensitive soul. 2013, technology everywhere and people need manuals. That is what confuses me.

As for saving paper, no, they are saving money.

Laptops are more popular than desktops and with tablets and e-readers being popular I am sure that quite a few have portable internet in the same room as their TV.

People not expecting it? It isn't unusual these days and is happening more and more. People need to start expecting it. People need to smarten up and skill up.

Elderly people. Yup, all those elderly people clambering to get their 3D TV sets.

The internet going down? If there is an online manual it is normally in pdf format, quite easy to save.

Besides all of that, my post was very clearly a joke. Almost as clear as the 3D button on remote controls.

I am certainly not convinced this is the responsibility of the BBC. If people don't know, then research, find out and learn. Being spoon fed instructions is far too passive.