Options

A colleague with a borderline personality disorder...

Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
Forum Member
How would you deal with a colleague/friend you work closely with who appears to have a borderline personality disorder??

She's only been working with us for about 2 months, and started off ok but then weird behaviour patterns started to occur...

One day she'd be super fun, upbeat, and full of jokes and playful banter, and then the next she'd be cold, aloof, and distant to most. Other times she'd be warm and friendly, and then the next day she'd be acting rather spiteful and highly strung.

The above was all put down to being 'moody' at first, but now it's got a bit more out of hand....

She decided early on to make me her 'play thing' in the office, with extreme flirting, and lots of attention, which was not a problem initially but now she seems to be using idealization and devaluation tactics on me, and others. One minute you're the best thing since sliced bread, and then the next she shuts you out and gives you the silent treatment for what feels like no apparent reason.

The latest was the other day - she was in a great mood, being pleasant and charming, and having a laugh, and then later on she overheard me make a slightly rude comment about one of her pals (who I'm not a fan of) to my friend, which was pretty much just a light hearted joke, but then she flipped on me and went mad and started the silent treatment again. A couple of hours later, she came and offered me a tea and some biscuits so I'm thinking that she's cool again - then the next day, the silent treatment was back, so I asked what was wrong, and then she went mad again and said 'you made a horrible comment about xxxx yesterday so now I don't ever want to speak you again'. Bizarre. She also knows my feelings on that particular person too as we've discussed it.

After the above, I found out she also turned on her best pal during that same shift, for some other stupid reason, and then started being 'extra nice' and overly friendly to everybody else. Pathetic games to be honest. Some people still think she's 'normal' at the moment, as they haven't been on the receiving end of her mind games and BS, yet....

Can't be assed with any of this in the workplace, and I have no idea how to handle it really - I don't really want enemies in the office, so can't really tell her to stay away from me. I can't keep my distance either, because she works a metre away, nor do I want to pretend to be a 'doctor' and start diagnosing her.....

Any advice? Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    How would you deal with a colleague/friend you work closely with who appears to have a borderline personality disorder??
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    nor do I want to pretend to be a 'doctor' and start diagnosing her.....

theres not really a lot you can do apart from talk to a manager if you think its causing issues as far as how work is getting done , if no-one else has noticed anything it might just be that the two of you have a clash of personalities , it happens
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't bitch about her friends in front of her.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd just keep a professional distance from her, be civil but don't interact with her silly games... There may be underlying issues, true, but that's her business and frankly for an easy life I wouldn't get sucked into her drama. I'd build relationships with other staff, be friendly but not overtly, and just leave her be as much as possible, I wouldn't have the patience for someone acting like this quite honestly, I'd either call them out on it, depending on the dynamic I have with them, ie. What's up with you? Running hot and cold all the time etc? But if you don't feel that way inclined I'd just leave her to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »

theres not really a lot you can do apart from talk to a manager if you think its causing issues as far as how work is getting done , if no-one else has noticed anything it might just be that the two of you have a clash of personalities , it happens

Other people are starting to notice - as mentioned, she's started flipping out on her best pal too for all sorts of strange reasons.

It seems to be the people she's closest too who get the brunt of it. You can't escape either, as she'll either start plying you with attention again, or giving you the silent treatment, whilst watching you like a hawk, and openly listening to every conversation you have with others. Weird shit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Don't bitch about her friends in front of her.

Yep, doesn't really solve the issues when looking at the bigger picture though does it.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no 'bigger picture'. So she's moody sometimes - perhaps that's because she's there to work, rather than keep you entertained?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    There is no 'bigger picture'. So she's moody sometimes - perhaps that's because she's there to work, rather than keep you entertained?

If you say so - thanks. Not sure which part of the post implies that I'm looking to be 'entertained'. Infact, quite the opposite - her bouts of positive/negative, attention towards me is making me feel uncomfortable and it's starting to freak me out, and others have suggested that she seems to have some sort of personality disorder, which seems to be the case.....'Bipolar disorder' and 'multiple personalities' has been thrown out there by a few....
  • Options
    mooblymoobly Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    What a difficult situation. I totally feel your pain as I have a close family member with personality disorder (a combination of a few tbf). The mood swings might be a bit rapid for bi-polar, I think it tends to move more slowly from one extreme to the other. Could be a personality disorder. I know you work in close proximity to this girl, but is there any way you could just give her a wide berth? Only speaking to her when necessary so that she doesn't involve you in all of her drama etc.

It's a horrible thing to have to deal with, for her more than anyone, but it does have a massive effect on anyone who has to deal with the "sufferer" (for want of a better word) on a regular basis.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moobly wrote: »
    What a difficult situation. I totally feel your pain as I have a close family member with personality disorder (a combination of a few tbf). The mood swings might be a bit rapid for bi-polar, I think it tends to move more slowly from one extreme to the other. Could be a personality disorder. I know you work in close proximity to this girl, but is there any way you could just give her a wide berth? Only speaking to her when necessary so that she doesn't involve you in all of her drama etc.

It's a horrible thing to have to deal with, for her more than anyone, but it does have a massive effect on anyone who has to deal with the "sufferer" (for want of a better word) on a regular basis.

Good luck!

Thanks for your post - It's rather difficult to make a 'clean break' from her, as she seems rather 'fixated' on me, in both equal measures of a positive and negative way. Within the space of an hour, she'll go from coming up behind me and touching me in places she probably shouldn't, laughing and joking, to extreme hostility and lingering stares and looks. It's AWKWARD.com to be on the receiving end. She'll butt in on conversations I'm having with others, then start the silent treatment again, and then seek out my attention by doing things to get it.....

It doesn't help that we have mutual friends either.

Her behaviour is becoming stranger though, so I think more and more people will start to notice and hopefully management will deal with her accordingly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She shouldn't be touching you at all! That's harassment at best! Maybe you could make a note/record of all the touching, inappropriate and polarised behaviour and after a few weeks, go to your manager with it? maybe you could get some colleagues to do the same thing. I wouldn't want it to be seen as 'victimisation' like, you could present it to them that you are worried about her health and it escalating to a point where it may affect you, possibly outside the workplace if she starts to get properly obsessive.

probably not much help........ but could be an idea

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moobly wrote: »
    She shouldn't be touching you at all! That's harassment at best! Maybe you could make a note/record of all the touching, inappropriate and polarised behaviour and after a few weeks, go to your manager with it? maybe you could get some colleagues to do the same thing. I wouldn't want it to be seen as 'victimisation' like, you could present it to them that you are worried about her health and it escalating to a point where it may affect you, possibly outside the workplace if she starts to get properly obsessive.

probably not much help........ but could be an idea

:)

That's the thing, as she has been a friend to me at times (kind of viewed her as a little sister type of thing) I wouldn't really want to get her in any sort of major trouble or 'grass' her up as such.

You're right about the touching thing - she seems it as harmless flirting I guess, but if it was a guy doing the same thing to a girl, it would probably be viewed as instrusive or totally inappropriate.

If she 'decides' to start talking to me again, which I'm sure she will, I might pull her aside for a word and see how that goes. If not, I'll just try my best to leave her to it and avoid any more further discussions or silly little games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE}

If she 'decides' to start talking to me again, which I'm sure she will, I might pull her aside for a word and see how that goes. If not, I'll just try my best to leave her to it and avoid any more further discussions or silly little games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah good call. Hope you get it sorted and your working environment becomes a bit more pleasant! :D
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nor do I want to pretend to be a 'doctor' and start diagnosing her.....

Looking at the diagnostic labels you have been throwing around (starting with the heading of this thread), you seem to be making a good effort though :confused:
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people have variable personalities. None of what you said makes me think she has a 'borderline personality disorder'.

She's probably feeding off the attention she's getting from you. She's playing games, but you are falling for it and responding to her manipulation. You need to be a colleague and nothing else. Be professional - if she flirts, don't flirt back. If she tries to 'devalue' you or 'idealise' you - ignore her. Don't see her as a friend - and don't make comments about her friends in public. Put emotional distance between the two of you, take a step back - and I'll bet she'll back off too.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    You need to tell her that the touching isn't appropriate, neither do you appreciate it. Make that clear, does she do this in front of others? Keep a record of it if it happens again as you'll need to refer to it should you need to submit a grievance.

Keep your relationship distant yet professional and polite. Hopefully she'll get the message.