Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    In context though EE share is bigger than Monday and about the same as Tuesday when it was over 7m and also about the same as last Thursday so it hasnt dropped. The fact is the audience just arent there for the soaps particularly in midweek it seems.

Life Story suffering as well - they should have put this on Sunday opposite DA.

EE was dire last night. I can see folks turning off or doing what I did fast forward the recording. Alfie character was almost unwatchable. Such a shame as EE has been on a good run of late with storylines.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,631
    Forum Member
    http://www.doctorwhonews.net/

Scroll down and there is a list of the consolidated ratings for w/e 12th October.

There is an interesting series comparison on the "Doctor Who" ratings thread too from the Ecceleston era onwards to Matt Smiths final series. Its interesting that the series has stayed absolutely rock solid all the way through those years. I player and repeats are all featured. The charts suggest as many watched in 2005 to 2013.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    they spent all that money yet didn't bother on the script you cant make it up :D

The script was written by Tom Bradby who is ITV's political editor. I think we can see which way his career is going..... All we want now is Nick Robinson penning a few episodes of EE :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    The script was written by Tom Bradby who is ITV's political editor. I think we can see which way his career is going..... All we want now is Nick Robinson penning a few episodes of EE :D

Michael Crick for "Hollyoaks" soon then..
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    US network AMC buys into BBC America in $200m deal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29753610
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    In hindsight Tumble did brilliantly against that rating for The Great Fire.

Our Zoo was written well.

The first episode of The Great Fire was so remarkably poor that the ratings were only ever going to go one way but even I'm surprised at just how low they are for the second episode.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    There is an interesting series comparison on the "Doctor Who" ratings thread too from the Ecceleston era onwards to Matt Smiths final series. Its interesting that the series has stayed absolutely rock solid all the way through those years. I player and repeats are all featured. The charts suggest as many watched in 2005 to 2013.

But how would that angle stand up if catch-up TV had been a big thing nine years ago? It may be that the mega timeshift audiences are people who would never have tuned in on a Saturday night in 2005 either, perhaps if catch-up TV had been a major force in 2005 etc then Doctor Who would have been even higher back then.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two

Officials from BARB (last year's equivalent rating in brackets), no opt-outs.
    [no overnights for this week in 2014 as they all missed Broadcast mag's top 30 for BBC Two/Channel 4/Channel 5]
    [no overnights for this week in 2013 as Broadcast mag is unavailable online for this week]

29/9 - 1.45m (2013: 1.72m)
    30/9 - 1.44m (2013: 1.68m)
    1/10 - 1.33m (2013: 1.65m)
    2/10 - 1.31m (2013: 1.72m)
    3/10 - 1.37m (2013: 1.80m)
    Average for week: 1.38m officially (down -19% from 2013's 1.71m)

Overnights from Broadcast magazine, full slot, but no tape-checking adjustments required:

6/10 - 1.49m/8.2% (no overnights available from Broadcast magazine online for this week in 2013)
    => official from BARB: 1.59m (2013: 2.04m)
    7/10 - 1.58m/8.9%
    => official from BARB: 1.67m (2013: 1.90m)
    8/10 - 1.69m/9.4%
    => official from BARB: 1.79m (2013: 1.83m after deducting Scotland due to opt-out)
    9/10 - 1.49m/8.2%
    => official from BARB: 1.58m (2013: 1.79m)
    10/10 - 1.55m/8.8%
    => official from BARB: 1.65m (2013: 1.99m)
    Average for week: 1.56m/8.6% overnight
    Average for week: 1.66m officially (down -13% in volume from 2013's 1.91m)
    * probably around -15% down when allowing for opt-out

13/10 - 1.91m/9.9% (2013: 2.12m/10.7%, official: 2.25m)
    14/10 - 1.55m/8.4% (2013: 1.75m/9.2%, official: 1.86m)
    15/10 - 1.69m/9.4% (2013: 1.79m/9.4%, official: 1.93m)
    16/10 - 1.74m/9.65% (2013: 1.96m/10.6%, official: 2.07m)
    17/10 - 1.61m/9.2% (2013: 1.91m/10.5%, official: 1.99m)
    Average for week: 1.70m/9.3% overnight
    * down -11% in volume and -7% in share from 2013's 1.91m/10.1%

Dear NeilVW, thank you so much. I am so grateful to you for going into such detail. :)
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

oh I bet that's going to have a lovely effect on his shy retiring ego..
    its an utterly shocking dialogue being used okay they wanted to make it open to all ages but seriously any more "modern" peggy could be shouting "get outta my pub"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    But how would that angle stand up if catch-up TV had been a big thing nine years ago? It may be that the mega timeshift audiences are people who would never have tuned in on a Saturday night in 2005 either, perhaps if catch-up TV had been a major force in 2005 etc then Doctor Who would have been even higher back then.

Mmm not so sure about that one, interesting theory! I think there is a core audience watching, which is making the numbers static. I'm not sure about Ecceleston era though whether it could have benefitted from catch up much more. Who knows.
  • Options
    merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think The Great Fire was that bad to be fair. Every drama seems to struggle on a Thursday, I bet this would have got a higher figure on a Sunday/Monday night. I think ITV should try something else on a Thursday night as the dramas don't seem to be working on that night.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody got the rating for Scorpion on ITV2 last night? Thanks

Edit: Got it. Scorpion made a good start beating Drifters on E4

ITV2 high-tech US drama Scorpion gripped 593,000 (6.3%) in its opening episode, beating the 429,000 (2%), slot average.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm A Celeb will bring viewers back to the weekdays and show that when there is something worth watching, viewers will tune in.
  • Options
    merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm A Celeb will bring viewers back to the weekdays and show that when there is something worth watching, viewers will tune in.

The novelty of I'm A Celeb wore off with me years ago, it's sad that that people will watch this in massive numbers but not some of the dramas. I know what I'd rather watch!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12th October
    ITV2

Release The Hounds 565k
    Plebs 465k
    Dapper Laughs 173k

The 2nd episode of Dapper Laughs on the Pull stumbled on its second outing, entertaining 173,000 (1.3%), after launching with 373,000 (2.9%) last week.

DIRE. What on earth were they thinking wen they commissioned it?
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhat slipping under the radar I see from looking at ITV Press Centre Info Guide the Vampire Diaries return on Tuesday 4th November on ITV2..
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anthony LaPaglia (Without a Trace),Rebecca Front (The Thick Of It) and Andy Nyman (Peaky Blinders) join Martin Freeman in the cast of The Eichmann Show to be aired by BBC2 in early 2015 to mark the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz - BBC Media Centre
  • Options
    NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . DIRE. What on earth were they thinking wen they commissioned it?
    Give it a rest!
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member

Bake Off and The Apprentice already prove that people WIll watch during the week if you put on a decent show.
    Great Fire was dire, hence such low ratings.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »

Spot on it's not a like for like comparison. Catch up was in its infancy then
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Mmm not so sure about that one, interesting theory! I think there is a core audience watching, which is making the numbers static. I'm not sure about Ecceleston era though whether it could have benefitted from catch up much more. Who knows.
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Spot on it's not a like for like comparison. Catch up was in its infancy then

Point is there's no evidence that that the two million who've drifted away from the overnights are the two million who've started watching on catchup, so while the overall figures are roughly the same (and thus the BBC probably won't be all that bothered) there could be a heck of a lot of 'lost' viewers that the show could be making more of an effort to win back. The fact the show got such massive overnight audiences for the two episodes at the end of last year, and then got the usual 1.5-2.5m catchup viewers on top, goes some way to making me believe that that is the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle wrote: »
    Give it a rest!

:confused: What's your problem?
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    ITV2 high-tech US drama Scorpion gripped 593,000 (6.3%) in its opening episode, beating the 429,000 (2%), slot average.
    Great bit of scheduling that, straight after Big Bang (as is/was the case in America). E4 viewers in ability to find ITV2 on their programme guide shocker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This made me think of this forum when I read this on the Telegraph website:

Citizen Khan

BBC One, 8.30pm

Despite dividing critics, this well-intentioned sitcom about a British Pakistani family in Birmingham has consistently been a ratings hit. Tonight, it returns for a third series, in which self-appointed community leader Mr Khan (Adil Ray, who also created the show) is over the moon to hear of his mother-in-law’s (Adlyn Ross) plans to move into a care home. Granted, puns abound, but some genuinely funny moments make it a worthwhile watch. NV

Which ratings have they been looking at? :D
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    :confused: What's your problem?

Pay no attention. You have been one of ITV plc's most robust defenders, so your criticism of their commissioning, scheduling and production decisions recently are noteworthy.
This discussion has been closed.