Options

Killer cats from hell :(

Comments

• Options
    TrulytrueTrulytrue Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    OP - I really feel for you and think you are doing great. Whatever others may think, it is upsetting for your cuddly cats to turn into serial killers everytime they go outside. Out of perhaps 10 cats, I have only ever had one - a half burmese which was a nightmare. From a half grown kitten, she killed at least two birds a day in the garden. I would look out and see her wrestling a fully grown blackbird to the ground - twice her size.
    I belled her and did everything I could - but nothing worked...was at my wits end.

Sadly, she finally managed to get run over in a quiet country lane at the back of my house when she was only a year old (the only cat I have ever lost). Even more sadly, it was rather a relief.

I have had a couple of sisters who apparently used to bring unharmed birds through the cat flap! As when I got up and found a large thrush looking down at me from a window ledge - released him outside and he flew away fine.

Trying to forget the massive and probably very valuable koi carp I found flapping around under the table one night.
    Remind me why we love cats so much?

Thank you for understanding.

You saying about the Koi, my freind got a rescue cat and it got one of her husbands prized Koi. :o

He had a shovel over his head ready to come down on the cat's head when she stopped him but it was a very close call. :D
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A mate of ours has two golden retrievers and he was out walking them when these two cats shot off someone's drive (the owner was cleaning their car on the drive) and the cats just went for the retrievers. The owner did Jack S**t about it. My mate confronted him after the cats legged it, then the cats did it again. He said he couldn't control them.

(I just can't, I just can't, I just can't control my cat)
  • Options
    yoko onoyoko ono Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trulytrue wrote: »
    Things are looking up.. I got them even bigger bells ( so a few different tones ) and two different colour flashing lights for their collars, only thing that has come into the house this last couple of days is worms from my wormery :D

They might be noisy and look silly, but if it works its great.

I feel sorry for the cats with their extremely sensitive hearing being subjected to the sound of big bells so near to their ears.
    Being not wanted by a previous owner, given to a second who doesn't want them either, just for doing what cats do. I think it's all the same to a cat what they go after, live creature or moving toy they are just designed to chase and catch things that move.
    It is for their survival because they are wild by nature.
    I hope if they are handed to someone else that person is able to keep them.
    It's just so sad when they are passed around as if they don't have feelings and don't develop attachments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A mate of ours has two golden retrievers and he was out walking them when these two cats shot off someone's drive (the owner was cleaning their car on the drive) and the cats just went for the retrievers. The owner did Jack S**t about it. My mate confronted him after the cats legged it, then the cats did it again. He said he couldn't control them.

(I just can't, I just can't, I just can't control my cat)

Mine stalk my son's Staffie :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yoko ono wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the cats with their extremely sensitive hearing being subjected to the sound of big bells so near to their ears.
    Being not wanted by a previous owner, given to a second who doesn't want them either, just for doing what cats do. I think it's all the same to a cat what they go after, live creature or moving toy they are just designed to chase and catch things that move.
    It is for their survival because they are wild by nature.
    I hope if they are handed to someone else that person is able to keep them.
    It's just so sad when they are passed around as if they don't have feelings and don't develop attachments.

Maybe read the thread again, maybe read the post you quoted again.

Other than that *yawn*
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yoko ono wrote: »
    I think they get used to it. It's surprising how little very loud noises - that they are used to - seem to bother them once they're used to a sound. I've used bells on dogs too (big bells!) because dark coloured labradors are difficult to spot at night in the countryside where there are no street lights so a jingling bell tells me which way to point the torch.

A friend sent me a link to another form of collar - I'm not sure how it works functionally because again, it needs to have an easy release collar - but the idea is that birds do see bright colours whereas they can't see dark or neutrally coloured cats.

And if you're looking for more toys, undercover mouse is apparently a good one.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good toy for energetic and aggressive cats is a large piece of soft corrugated cardboard - especially if it's still in box form. My youngest cats LOVE this stuff. They get lots of exercise and it channels their need to destroy things onto something harmless.
  • Options
    Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do feel for you OP. I have a 5 year old tabby cat (male). He is overweight (1 stone!) , lazy but he can move when he wants to. Anything small that moves he chases it. Even a spider or daddy long legs lol but alough cats can seem ferious a times it is just thier natural instinct. We may have domesticated them but there are 2 sides to our cats - the purry furry, cute and cuddly side and thier natural hunting instinct. Indoors my cat is affectionate, well behaved and calm. Outside he is a killer, wails at other cats, but its just how they are. Alough cats are happy to live with us they still have many of thier natural traits. There were many documentaries last year such as " The Secet life of cats" and others which show you behind the scenes views of our cats, how they behave when were not around and where they go when were not looking. Very interesting.

Every spring my cat kills many birds as the young inexperienced birds make thier first venture. this may be upsetting but it is your cat showing you how to Hunt. He's also showing you affection by bringing you food that he think you'll eat and thinks he is doing you a favour. however the killing of voles, mice etc actually good as it gets rid of these which can get into your house and eat your food. We once had mice in the pantry and one got into my room in the middle of the night. My cat sleeps in my room every night and he was on alert and caught and ate the mouse. So the killing can actually be useful you never know.

He had a big budgie bell last year but still managed to kill alot of birds, mice and voles. This year he has multiple bells and a night light at night and no dead birds so far. Fingers crossed.

Lazer pointers and cat toys such as remote control mice, mouse on a string etc are great for your cats using thier natural instinct even though its just a toy. Its amazing to see. They chase after it just like its a real bird or mouse lol.

Please please please please please dont give them away you will regret it. you just need to play with them a bit more and spend a bit more time with them and theyll be fine. They will grow out of it. It will just take time. If concerned about the dead animals in your home, try locking your cat flap and letting them in and out the door instead. Then the dead animals will only get as far as your doorstep

Enjoy your time with your cats. They are amazing animals imo.
  • Options
    Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    I do feel for you OP. I have a 5 year old tabby cat (male). He is overweight (1 stone!) , lazy but he can move when he wants to. Anything small that moves he chases it. Even a spider or daddy long legs lol but alough cats can seem ferious a times it is just thier natural instinct. We may have domesticated them but there are 2 sides to our cats - the purry furry, cute and cuddly side and thier natural hunting instinct. Indoors my cat is affectionate, well behaved and calm. Outside he is a killer, wails at other cats, but its just how they are. Alough cats are happy to live with us they still have many of thier natural traits. There were many documentaries last year such as " The Secet life of cats" and others which show you behind the scenes views of our cats, how they behave when were not around and where they go when were not looking. Very interesting.

Every spring my cat kills many birds as the young inexperienced birds make thier first venture. this may be upsetting but it is your cat showing you how to Hunt. He's also showing you affection by bringing you food that he think you'll eat and thinks he is doing you a favour. however the killing of voles, mice etc actually good as it gets rid of these which can get into your house and eat your food. We once had mice in the pantry and one got into my room in the middle of the night. My cat sleeps in my room every night and he was on alert and caught and ate the mouse. So the killing can actually be useful you never know.

He had a big budgie bell last year but still managed to kill alot of birds, mice and voles. This year he has multiple bells and a night light at night and no dead birds so far. Fingers crossed.

Lazer pointers and cat toys such as remote control mice, mouse on a string etc are great for your cats using thier natural instinct even though its just a toy. Its amazing to see. They chase after it just like its a real bird or mouse lol.

Please please please please please dont give them away you will regret it. you just need to play with them a bit more and spend a bit more time with them and theyll be fine. They will grow out of it. It will just take time. If concerned about the dead animals in your home, try locking your cat flap and letting them in and out the door instead. Then the dead animals will only get as far as your doorstep

Enjoy your time with your cats. They are amazing animals imo.

As the OP hasn't posted on this thread for 11 days I have a feeling she already has.

Sorry OP if I am wrong...was just thinking that is maybe why you haven't been back to this thread with any updates for quite a while. I thought if you had given them away maybe you didn't want to announce it on this thread incase you received negative comments.

Like I said, apologies if i'm wrong.:)
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's also showing you affection by bringing you food that he think you'll eat and thinks he is doing you a favour
    Oh that old chestnut again.
    It is natural instinct for a cat to bring back prey to it's home - it is not a 'prezzy' for the owner. If you weren't there and the cat lived by itself, it would still do it.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trulytrue wrote: »
    Right from the off they were bringing creatures into the house.

Cant imagine why they do it so often. all the cats I have had, and my friends and family, its normal one a week maybe two but two each a day isnt unusual for these cats.

One of our cats was like that, and I found it very upsetting, but as he's matured, he doesn't do it so much now. He's not brought anything in for a while now.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It surprises me they've managed to kill squirrels, as they are incredibly fast - lightning reactions - and have razor sharp claws, so can defend themselves quite ably.

I've seen squirrels in my garden, and all the cat can do is sit and watch them.

I'd imagine the squirrels your cats have got are either very young, old or sick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, OP, have you given the cats away or not?
  • Options
    HeatherbellHeatherbell Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    IMO, I think it would be very cruel to give them to the farmer. They are domesticated cats and forcing them into living wild where they have to completely fend for themselves is not a nice thing to do.

I completely understand how you feel about the killing, I know 100% that I would not be able to cope with it...but if you really feel you want to get rid of them then couldn't you just ring the cats protection in your area to see if they can take them and find new homes for them?
    I don't think they would be left to fend for themselves though . I have relatives who farm and while some of the many cats on the farm are 100% feral and fend for themselves there are others that live in the barns and outhouses but are fed and looked after by humans and are approachable/friendly and well looked after . They are all 'ratters & mousers' though and that is their chosen lifestyle and the reason they are kept . I do know that a couple of them were passed on to my relatives by townies because of their unsuitability as full house cats due to their intense need to kill smaller creatures and leave a trail of blood and guts in their wake . When the vet calls re larger farm animals he checks out the cats too . They have a good life being miniature lions and tigers really .
    Really I think the OP should pass them on to the farmer . At least it will be an honest transaction , unlike the one where the cats were given to her without revealing their true nature . They'll be fine and happy on a farm because they'll be considered working animals , not cuddly pets . It's clearly in their breeding and they might even be descended from feral cats who were encouraged to kill vermin .
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting post from HeatherBell. I suppose we do tend to forget why cats first formed their bond with us - originally all we asked of cats was to kill vermin, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise if some of them display that aspect of their nature more than we would care for.
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats do bring in their kill as a sign of affection. My 30 year old daughter still remembers when she was just 10 and turned over in bed to find a dead mouse beside her on her pillow.. Her cat had brought it in, gone upstairs, carried it up the ladder to her bunk bed and left it for her as a gift. I still remember her scream!
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a pride of cats that would line their kills up by descending size on the bedroom rug. It was like they were trying to give us breakfast in bed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waiting to hear from OP……..
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damage done by 'the wrong sort of collar'...
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why wasn't that cat just put down. Why waste any money on it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Why wasn't that cat just put down. Why waste any money on it?

No. Why should an animals life be ended just becuase it's owner doesn't want to look after it anymore? Animals should not be put down, abandoned, or neglected, they should be re-homed and be given to an owner who actaully wants to care for them and respect thier qualities, be it good or bad.

In the OP's case, getting a cat put down becuase it is using it's natural instinct and doing things that cats do, is certainly no reason for a cat to be put down.

Btw, were still waiting to hear from you OP. What have you done with your cats?
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Why should an animals life be ended just becuase it's owner doesn't want to look after it anymore? Animals should not be put down, abandoned, or neglected, they should be re-homed and be given to an owner who actaully wants to care for them and respect thier qualities, be it good or bad.

In the OP's case, getting a cat put down becuase it is using it's natural instinct and doing things that cats do, is certainly no reason for a cat to be put down.

It is EVERY reason to put the cat down. It was seriously ill. Why waste money on it? There are hundreds and hundreds of cats and kittens that are perfectly healthy in the care of animal charities. They need to be rehomed so adding yet another is hardly sensible. It isn't sensible to save every animal when there are so many more that need help.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not just get rid of the cat flaps?

I've never had one fitted for any of my cats. I open the door to let them out, I open it to let them in. Granted, I'm not here 24/7 so if they want in/out, sometimes they have to wait a few hours whereas with a cat flap they can obviously come and go as they please - but so what? Waiting outside for a couple hours longer has never harmed any of them, nor does being trapped in the house until I get home.

Mine very rarely hunt, but sometimes they'll sit at the door with a bird/mouse/whatever in their mouth, and they have absolutely no chance of getting in the house with it. I'll wait until they're done with it, and when they have an empty mouth, they'll be allowed in.

It's a bit harder if you don't have a glass door to see them, but you'd still be controlling when they enter the house, so you'll see immediately if they bring anything in with them, and can clean it up there and then without being worried you've missed some.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member

but it is ok for the cat to kill birds etc? If cats are domesticated why are they allowed to go outside and kill birds, mice etc. They should be kept indoors and taken for walks as dogs are. If they are considered to be wild, then why are they kept as pets.

I would never own a cat because they kill birds and I love birds and they don't deserve to be killed.