Options

Apple WWDC 8th June 2015

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Its Apples WWDC on Monday 8th June 2015. Looks like Apple will release Apple Pay in the UK this Summer and Apple Music will also launch which Sony have already confirmed. Its expected to start at $9.99 per month. You may well see the appearance of iOS 9.

http://www.neowin.net/news/sony-music-ceo-reveals-that-apple-music-will-be-launched-at-wwdc-tomorrow

http://www.neowin.net/news/apple-pay-said-to-be-launching-in-the-uk-this-summer

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/133565-wwdc-2015-9-things-to-expect-from-apple

Comments

• Options
    lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully iOS 9 will be the snow leopard bug fix that it's rumoured to be. iOS 8 is damn unstable for me. Choppy on animations and keeps respringing. This is on an iPad Air and iPhone 6+. I also really want improved battery management, but there's not much to do really I bet. Just got to hope that the other improvements will help battery.

Good if Apple Pay expands to the UK, not for me but at least we get a new feature. Music I'm really not bothered about, Spotify is just the best experience, even better now Taylor Swift isn't on it :D.

I would quite like widgets still but Apple won't allow it :(
  • Options
    hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

What time will it start in the UK, will it be streamed on Apple TV etc?

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it will be streamed - 6pm UK time I believe.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully iOS 9 will be the snow leopard bug fix that it's rumoured to be. iOS 8 is damn unstable for me. Choppy on animations and keeps respringing. This is on an iPad Air and iPhone 6+. I also really want improved battery management, but there's not much to do really I bet. Just got to hope that the other improvements will help battery.

Good if Apple Pay expands to the UK, not for me but at least we get a new feature. Music I'm really not bothered about, Spotify is just the best experience, even better now Taylor Swift isn't on it :D.

I would quite like widgets still but Apple won't allow it :(

What's the problem with iOS 8 and Snow Leopard? I don't use OSX.

iOS 8 has been stable on my devices, and a lot better than iOS 7 with Safari.

I thought I'd read we won't be seeing iOS 9, more likely 8.4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    What's the problem with iOS 8 and Snow Leopard? I don't use OSX.

iOS 8 has been stable on my devices, and a lot better than iOS 7 with Safari.

iOS 8 has been found to be the most unstable release of iOS to date by the Internet reviewers. Apps crash and on the 6/6+ there were issues about rotation that still bug me. It's got better as we've gone through 8.1/2/3 but it's still not perfect.

Snow Leopard was the 2009 release of OSX but instead of focusing on new features like Leopard did simply added behind the scenes stuff like 64-bit support. They described it as the best 200 features you'll never see or something like that.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

What time will it start in the UK, will it be streamed on Apple TV etc?

Thanks

Baz

Information on how to stream it on various devices can be found here:

http://www.neowin.net/news/how-to-watch-the-today039s-apple-wwdc-keynote-on-any-device
  • Options
    GrayburnGrayburn Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »

Correct, we'll only see a preview of iOS 9.

8.4 should be released but i read a few rumours that it'll be delayed until the end of the month.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see how they mix in the radio with the streaming thing. I've been using Spotify quite a bit lately - while I work on my computer, and when I'm out on the phone now that 4G and data is fairly reasonably priced. And I really like it, so wouldn't be too fussed about switching.

I do miss Zane Lowe from the radio though - so hopefully he will do some actual shows, rather than just curate playlists.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks to be a low key one, little changes for IOS, little new hardware..dull.
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I am hoping we get a new Apple TV box tonight as the current version whilst it works perfectly is a little outdated while one considers what Amazon have been up to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    I am hoping we get a new Apple TV box tonight as the current version whilst it works perfectly is a little outdated while one considers what Amazon have been up to.

I heard it's been delayed again but never know. Let's hope as at the moment Apple TV is not worth buying.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be iOS 10 just like Windows, you know, 7 8 9 :p
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I heard it's been delayed again but never know. Let's hope as at the moment Apple TV is not worth buying.

I disagree Appletv such as it is, is in my opinion very worth buying 80 percent of my viewing is on Apple TV.
  • Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    Apple Pay confirmed for the UK starting next month! Nando's, Boots, Costa and the Post Office are examples of a few places that will be accepting it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    Apple Pay confirmed for the UK starting next month! Nando's, Boots, Costa and the Post Office are examples of a few places that will be accepting it.

I *think* it works anywhere with a contactless terminal rather than just at the partner locations shown on the screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Multi tasking on the Ipad Air 2 looks good.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any iPhone 6S's announced yet? Apple Beats Music?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »

Apple Music has been announced. New iPhones aren't announced at WWDC but at an event later in the year, along with a further update on the new iOS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    List of phones and tablets going to receive iOS 9:

iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5C
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6 Plus

iPad 2
    iPad 3rd generation
    iPad 4th generation
    iPad Air
    iPad Air 2
    iPad Mini
    iPad Mini 2
    iPad Mini 3
    iPod Touch 5th generation

Public beta for iOS 9 starts in July.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple Music has been announced.

Their goal? To sign up no less than 100 million subscribers globally :o
    The existing iTunes Radio mixer, on the other hand, will be boosted as a live station with guest DJs from the ranks of Zane Lowe, Pharrell, Drake, Muse and David Guetta. Beats One will be the name of Apple's first radio station, available in 100 countries at launch.

So this is what Zane Lowe left Radio1 for? Lol.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Given the name of the new OSX I expect it to be mariachi music only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPhone 4s being supported now for 4 years now is revolutionary IMO. I got an S2 which was released in the same year and that stopped at 4.1.2 which is now quite old. It shipped with 2.3.6. This is still getting updated.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their goal? To sign up no less than 100 million subscribers globally :o

So this is what Zane Lowe left Radio1 for? Lol.

Why Lol? Seems like a pretty great gig. Not just background stuff curating playlists, but broadcasting live to a worldwide audience, working with the likes of Jimmy Iovine. I think the live radio station is the real differentiator between Apple Music and Spotify.

One thing they didn't really mention was whether or not shows would be available on catch up after they are broadcast.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The iPhone 4s being supported now for 4 years now is revolutionary IMO. I got an S2 which was released in the same year and that stopped at 4.1.2 which is now quite old. It shipped with 2.3.6. This is still getting updated.

It might help that the 4S was still being sold by Apple until fairly recently, and is still being sold by some networks and the likes of CPW as the most budget phone

At least your S2 can get third party updates after it is abandoned (there are people doing lollipop for it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    It might help that the 4S was still being sold by Apple until fairly recently, and is still being sold by some networks and the likes of CPW as the most budget phone

At least your S2 can get third party updates after it is abandoned (there are people doing lollipop for it)

My S2 is currently on Lollipop, but it's unstable compared to my N5 as you expect it to be. It just feels premium though in my eyes that they are supporting it.

It does say something though, the S2 had 1gb of ram, the 4S 512mb. Optimisation is king. I think I read that they developed it first for the 4s and then worked their way up.

I'm glad about the improvements to transitions and the like with iOS 9, I see choppiness a fair bit on my 6+ for some reason.