TFI Friday Special - C4, 12/06 9PM

Comments

• davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Plenty of great young bands around..........pretty selective in your example to overstate a point i think.

Plenty of great bands around yes. Do we see them often on the main TV channels, no we don't, but we see the likes of One Direction and the X Factor talents.

Good music that we used to listen in the 90s is not mainstream today and it was back in the day. Even though there are plenty of bands today that play good music, they are not mainstream bands and don't feature on TV as much.
  • johnanjohnan Posts: 3,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed it.
    Refreshing not to have fake or enhanced applause as apparent on most such programmes these days.
    Fast moving and fun, just like in the old days.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnan wrote: »
    Really enjoyed it.
    Refreshing not to have fake or enhanced applause as apparent on most such programmes these days.
    Fast moving and fun, just like in the old days.

You thought Chris' cronies corralled and liberally lubed with booze constituted a not "fake" audience? Just as in the old days they did what they were told and barked like seals at anything Evans did or said.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,953
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    You thought Chris' cronies corralled and liberally lubed with booze constituted a not "fake" audience? Just as in the old days they did what they were told and barked like seals at anything Evans did or said.

I think the end shot of Kirstie Allsop confirmed what you indicate.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That actor Douglas Booth was always lurking around in the background. He was off his face also. I wonder why he was there. Seemed strange that he would just be there standing around in the background.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plenty of great young bands around..........pretty selective in your example to overstate a point i think.

I think the selection is pertinent because the people the poster listed are the types of bland music acts which television promotes so much nowadays.
    These great young bands you're thinking of wouldn't even get a look in.
  • stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Last night's show pulled in 3.7million viewers which must be one of the highest ratings C4 have got this year.

C4Press cites a 30% share of the 16 - 34s, which will please them even more - their key demo. Obviously it had a good number of young people intrigued and tuning in.

It's repeated tonight, this time following a 90-minute documentary on 90s culture, wonderfully titled 'The 90s: Ten Years That Changed the World', which begins at 9PM.
  • blue screenblue screen Posts: 6,412
    Forum Member
    Liked it a lot. Would love to see it back for a few specials a year.

Definitely no Nick Grimshaw please
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised the share was soo high between 16-34s. I'd have thought people tuning in would be more in their 30s and 40s.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re Grimshaww - he is one of those personality free personalities who's rise from obscurity is a complete mystery to me. The screen actually dies a bit when he smiles.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Plenty of great bands around yes. Do we see them often on the main TV channels, no we don't, but we see the likes of One Direction and the X Factor talents.

Good music that we used to listen in the 90s is not mainstream today and it was back in the day. Even though there are plenty of bands today that play good music, they are not mainstream bands and don't feature on TV as much.

I remember the likes of At The Drive In playing TFI back in the day, hardly a mainstream act.

There's plenty of acts that are popular but, as you say, don't make it on to television in this country (although they do often perform on late night american shows). I think if a new TFI booked bands like Future Islands, Vampire Weekend, and other acts that receive critical acclaim and are popular with the demographic the show is aimed at, it'd help provide a certainly trendiness the show will obviously be trying hard to cultivate.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Brand would be excellent doing it, works well with "celebs" and joe public.....He used to have me cracking up when he did Big Bro's Little Bro.........

Either that or like another poster suggested just let Evans do it 2 or 3 times a year as event telly for xmas, world cups etc
    brand didnt do bblb did he,that was dermot, it was something else iirc.
    He could be ok if he can rein in the self Indulgence. Grimshaw is dreadful but doesnt he get decent ratings on radio 1?
  • big_jeffstarbig_jeffstar Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    it needs to be someone with a sense of anarchy, Nick grimshaw would be the worst choice imaginable. Brand is a good shout, or maybe Frankie Boyle
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hadn't realised how much I missed it.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    I think the end shot of Kirstie Allsop confirmed what you indicate.

What was the end shot of Kirstie I missed it
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    brand didnt do bblb did he,that was dermot, it was something else iirc.
    He could be ok if he can rein in the self Indulgence. Grimshaw is dreadful but doesnt he get decent ratings on radio 1?

Big Brothers Big Mouth
  • 446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed it, but didn't like the dull interviews - and I have to wonder if someone better at interviewing would have coaxed more life out of the guests. Would Jonathon Ross have let things get that dull, for example?

And NOOOO - a million times NO - to that dull grinning Grim buffoon taking over, can't stand him. Even Keith Lemon would be better and I'm 'meh' about him too.
  • dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say I loved it quite as much as some on here and it wasn't due to the overuse of Hamilton too much, granted he wasn't all that interesting but at least we got an interview out of him. Ryder's bit was funny but there was no real sense of conversation there.

I think if it's to be recommissioned, Evans has to be involved in some way. Perhaps in VT form a lot like Kenneth Branagh was. But whatever the weather, Grimshaw has to be kept as far away from it as possible. I really enjoy Brand so I'd happily see him take over the reigns but I think James Corden would have been a good fit had he not gone across the pond.

Or some other options: George Lamb? Greg James? Vernon Kaye?

Would be good to have some zanny co-hosts to be the sidekicks and to do some of the bits that Grimshaw did last night.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it. I share a lot of the consensus though

* Hamilton slowed down a lot of the shows momentum

* Grimmy as possible future host is a big no no!

I would like to see it back but as others have said not a weekly affair. I think it would make a good annual New Years Eve show (T.FI New Year) especially as it already has a party atmosphere. I could imagine it on from like 11.00 to 1 am, seeing in the New Year. The audience and celebs would have had a few drinks and its late night slot would mean they could get away with a bit more.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it needs to be someone with a sense of anarchy, Nick grimshaw would be the worst choice imaginable. Brand is a good shout, or maybe Frankie Boyle

To be honest don't think either of the latter two would be able to anchor a show that has a free style but nevertheless follows a strict running order for live tv. They wouldn't take instruction from the gallery easily and would also be a liability in a live format because of their loose cannon aspect. Im not a massive Chris Evans fan but I enjoyed the original TGI Friday and thought he was very good last night. Its unfortunate that theres noone around really to take over the mantle for a similar styled show for today. Id enjoy it however if he still did a few specials as its his baby.... and hes good at it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »

There are just as many good bands and shit bands today as there were in the 90s, TF wouldnt resort to playing 1D anymore than he would have played Boyzone in the 90s
  • Jesus_Jones1Jesus_Jones1 Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Why was josh widdicombe there?
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I, like the majority of people on this thread, enjoyed the first 1hr/1.5hrs or so until the Lewis Hamilton love-in for the last half an hour or more.

I have no interest in F1 or motor racing in general but I'm usually fine when someone on a chat show, or similar, starts talking about a topic I have no interest in as long as they are engaging and enthusiastic whilst talking about the subject. Lewis Hamilton was dull and lifeless during this section which took up a 1/4 of the show which meant my mind totally switched off.

What started off as exciting and entertaining and a good nostalgic throw back ended on a bit of a whimper because of Lewis.

Yes I agree the energy level tanked t the end. Pity cos the first hour or so was good.
    The problem is that Lewis was dull as dishwater.

I'm not massively into sport but I accept that sports men/women are a staple of chat shows and as long as they're interesting thats fine. I've watched plenty of sports figures being interviewed & kept my interest. I don't think Jonathsn Ross would've let the section lag as much as it did because he's a better skilled interviewer.

It was weird because they whole section was devoted to petrol head stuff, in contrast to the fast changing pace of the rest of the show so it seemed a bit clunky. The banker would've been netter off NOT allowing more time! :D
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Please no Grimshaw as new host if a series happens. Either Chris does the series or it doesnt come back.