Options

Why are the DS forums so popular when the website is so crap

SplotSplot Posts: 600
Forum Member
✭✭
I mean really. The 'breaking news' banner makes me cringe whenever I see it. Oh, a channel 5 shake-up? Really, who cares.

Some good quality debate on the forums but how many actually look at the rest of the site.

Comments

• Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splot wrote: »
    I mean really. The 'breaking news' banner makes me cringe whenever I see it. Oh, a channel 5 shake-up? Really, who cares.

Some good quality debate on the forums but how many actually look at the rest of the site.

I don't even notice the banners and I don't read any of the news - I just come here for the forums. But then, I'm not overly obsessed with showbiz and celebrities.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't even notice the banners and I don't read any of the news - I just come here for the forums. But then, I'm not overly obsessed with showbiz and celebrities.

Just what I was about to type.

The forums does what it says on the packaging. The bonus side is making friends.
  • Options
    darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure one of the staff posted once that the forums were not the main part of the site and the site itself gets more traffic than forums do
  • Options
    GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because not many other forums let you get away with calls for genocide.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    I've never even seen the other pages in all the years I've been a member.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkmoth wrote: »
    I am sure one of the staff posted once that the forums were not the main part of the site and the site itself gets more traffic than forums do

There is another part to this site apart from the forums? :eek:
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    darkmoth wrote: »

It's probably true. Anyone searching for TV, movie, shobiz, cult, comic, soap, video game etc news will probably find DS quite high on the results. I'm sure loads of peoples pop in for the articles.

But the articles are usually stolen from other publications. And I hate when they do an interview with someone and then run about 3-5 news stories repeating certain things they have said in the interview

And the Breaking News banner is pretty cringey i agree. It was Janice Battersby quitting Corrie the other day. Like that's world shattering news
  • Options
    Lucem FerreLucem Ferre Posts: 8,224
    Forum Member
    Numbers.

DS is popular because it's popular, essentially.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long has it been in existence?
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind the latest headline, a shakeup at Five is pretty big Media Industry news.

When it's "announcements for Pig Brother evictions" as the Breaking News banner, then it becomes ridiculous.
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I think it's because you get a quick turnaround on views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For about a week, wasn't the breaking news the fact that some dude off Eastenders was going to be a father? I remember there was a thread about it.

Edit - Here it is, quite a laugh:

Can no news eclipse the stunner that Cliff Parisi will be a father?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    mebbe its coz most ppl dun tips lyk dis, dats y.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:confused:

You do realise this is a Showbiz and Media NEWS site?

'Channel 5 shakeup' would be quite important breaking news within the Showbiz/Media/Broadcast industry.

I don't know why it makes you 'cringe'.. some of us appreciate the DS breaking news, because that's what we are interested in. Personally that's the kind of news I like receiving, as opposed to the misery on BBC News.

Just because something isn't for you, or aligned with your tastes, there is no need to call it "Crap" just because you don't like it.

If everyone was the same and everyone liked the same things, I assure you the world would be a very dull place :)
  • Options
    RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are the DS forums so popular when the website is so crap
    The Digital Spy forum started around the same time as Big Brother started and they quickly became established as a site for Big Brother discussion. As Big Brother got more popular so did this site.

So the owners should thank Channel 4/Big Brother for making them so rich. :D
  • Options
    sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their showbiz and media newS is often days, sometimes weeks later than the other articles that it has been lifted from. The gossip is always invariably followed by a rebuttal just hours later. e.g. "Cheryl Cole buys a house" followed immediately by "Cheryl Cole denies house purchase"

I don't know who does the research and reporting, but it ain't too good. (Sorry DS) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind the latest headline, a shakeup at Five is pretty big Media Industry news.

When it's "announcements for Pig Brother evictions" as the Breaking News banner, then it becomes ridiculous.

To me, that's also quite big news - obviously you have to be interested in BB; but as a Showbiz/Media site, a high percentage of readers will probably be interested in BB!

Either way, it's useful for some of us. I'm guessing the only reason you think it's 'ridiculous' is because you don't watch/dislike Big Brother.. so obviously that's a teensy bit biased.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When you're stuck at home all day on the JSA, those banners are blessed relief :D
  • Options
    SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

'Channel 5 shakeup' would be quite important breaking news within the Showbiz/Media/Broadcast industry.

I don't know why it makes you 'cringe'.. some of us appreciate the DS breaking news, because that's what we are interested in. Personally that's the kind of news I like receiving, as opposed to the misery on BBC News.

Just because something isn't for you, or aligned with your tastes, there is no need to call it "Crap" just because you don't like it.

If everyone was the same and everyone liked the same things, I assure you the world would be a very dull place :)[/QUOTE]

How very quaint.

I'll give you that the C5 news is pretty big, but at a lot of the time the breaking news - in my view - is crap, even down to the way it's written. I'm just saying that I would imagine the vast majority of people that use the forums don't bother with the rest of the site.

And yes, I know what kind of site it is - that's why I think it's weird.
  • Options
    Kenco KingKenco King Posts: 19,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »
    The Digital Spy forum started around the same time as Big Brother started and they quickly became established as a site for Big Brother discussion. As Big Brother got more popular so did this site.

So the owners should thank Channel 4/Big Brother for making them so rich. :D

I Detest Big Brother yet Love DS.

How do you think the Departure of BB will affect the Future of DS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenco King wrote: »

I dunno, but I'll be in that BB forum on the last night to rub it in ha ha :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their showbiz and media newS is often days, sometimes weeks later than the other articles that it has been lifted from. The gossip is always invariably followed by a rebuttal just hours later. e.g. "Cheryl Cole buys a house" followed immediately by "Cheryl Cole denies house purchase"

I don't know who does the research and reporting, but it ain't too good. (Sorry DS) :D

Oh the reporting, especially showbiz is quite appalling. Though it sort of impresses me that they can stretch the Metros 60 second interview into 3 or 4 stories across 2 days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

If everyone was the same and everyone liked the same things, I assure you the world would be a very dull place :)

How very quaint.

I'll give you that the C5 news is pretty big, but at a lot of the time the breaking news - in my view - is crap, even down to the way it's written. I'm just saying that I would imagine the vast majority of people that use the forums don't bother with the rest of the site.

And yes, I know what kind of site it is - that's why I think it's weird.

I don't understand that.. if you know what kind of site it is, then surely it's not weird - it's exactly what you'd expect given it's remit and normal content!

As someone who has a long-term and substantial interest in The Media and Broadcasting (Showbiz somewhat less), most of the breaking news here is perfectly relevant and appreciated to me.

The forums do make the site, so to speak, but I always have a gander at DS's front page first - as I'm sure many others do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The showbiz news is old and rubbish. I can't imagine anyone with any real interest in showbiz breaking news would use DS news as their first port of call.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Kenco King wrote: »

The People's Princess Ms. Cole will keep the ship afloat :p