Options

The Voice UK - Ratings Thread

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the hype around Cheryl's performance counted for nothing then. :o
    I might have accounted for the lost million or so. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Called this from the start.
  • Options
    oilcatoilcat Posts: 27,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Football made no difference. Infact, football ratings weren't all that great.

The novelty has worn off. Production values are low, Jessie J is particularly embarassing and it's got a really unwatchable feel about it

Pretty much how i see it as well, add to that the coaches dancing on their seats last night was the single most cringeworth thing on telly this year so far.

The coaches are proving to be bad bad choices
    William, speaks in gangsta riddles most of the time
    Jessie, always turns rounf the conversation to herself
    Tom, looks bewildered all the time
    Danny, claps like a performing seal at virtually EVERYTHING!!
  • Options
    BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The seat climbing is hilarious.

I spose they have to get their money's worth from them now they aren't spinning though.
  • Options
    drwhorudrwhoru Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I am amazed by the decline in ratings.

while you can argue that factors have certainly contributed to audience loss; the volume is staggering.

and the excuses are just that:

Wrong time of year: BGT and Dr Who have both managed to bring in audiences repeatedly over the same period.

Wrong Time Slot: 1800-2000 on Saturday night could and should be able to pull in above 6 million as a minimum outside of school holidays.

people watching on time shift: people who watch on the day are caught in overnight ratings. people may watch it on PVR later but that would be a exception for these types of shows if it is the case.

number one on iplayer: who cares? the options are limited to bbc programs, EastEnders is regularly number one and still does 7-10m in audiences. also, these are probably some of the same people who watched it live, or people who go on line to watch a small part of the show.

The Weather: if a show is only good enough to play out when it's too cold/dark to go out it is not worth 20m quid in the first place.

if this was made by a commercial broadcaster everyone involved would be getting a kicking, from Danny Cohen down.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    oilcat wrote: »
    Pretty much how i see it as well, add to that the coaches dancing on their seats last night was the single most cringeworth thing on telly this year so far.

The coaches are proving to be bad bad choices
    William, speaks in gangsta riddles most of the time
    Jessie, always turns rounf the conversation to herself
    Tom, looks bewildered all the time
    Danny, claps like a performing seal at virtually EVERYTHING!!

Couldn't have put it better! It gets worst and worst. The Singers feel they have to up their game i.e end up shouting, the judges have to be either more animated i.e Danny the performing seal or more "hip" i.e. Will i am repeating senseless noises. Yes Tom does look more lost each show. Jessie is increasingly irritating if not sulky, plus seems to want people to look at her as if she is making some hidden personal statement.

I think there is to be a group Judges Sing a Long next week the omens are not good.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    All the hype around Cheryl's performance counted for nothing then. :o

Cheryl Cole desperately needed somewhere to launch her song. By pure coincidence good old Will i am was in the right place at the right time. The Voice gained nothing from having her on, but lost what little respect viewers had for the show that proclaims its different as it's Real Singers singing LIVE.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think time of year has anything to do with it. The reason why I don't watch anymore is due to fundamental flaws in the concept
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show was storming along right up to the battle rounds. Its the format of the live shows which have a catalogue of issues which have to be addressed before next year. Its just a start point to say the live situation has shown up shortcomings in the coaches, that losing 8 people over two weeks does nothing to hold viewers attention and that the contestants screeching wildly doesnt make for good listening.

Much as I hate to say it, X Factor has the ingredients which make viewers stick with it. The Voice cannot easily ape X Factor as it will bring even more criticism-so how they make it compelling all the way though is no easy puzzle.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drwhoru wrote: »

I think looking at other countries massive fall after the blind auditions, it was quite expected, just obviously not at the Beeb :D

I don't see how it can be tweaked anymore without becoming X-Factor light. It won't attract huge star judges after being slaughtered by critics and viewers.

Its flawed. I can normally recall all of the final 12 in XF but I can barely remember the semi finalists of the Voice
  • Options
    theboyroddtheboyrodd Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    don`t forget the whole ratings thing is rubbish any its hardly accurate.
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    theboyrodd wrote: »

It's the only measure we have, against which all programmes are measured. And the broadcasters seem to pay a lot of attention to it too (particulary the BBC).
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theboyrodd wrote: »

True...I imagine even less are actually watching The Voice :D
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To speak of trying to avoid other shows on other channels in order to get higher ratings is pretty much admitting defeat.

It's like admitting that some other show on some other channel is better than you, and that you have to avoid that show rather than that show fearing you and needing to avoid when you're on.

I notice how people don't concede that when the ratings are high that it was due to avoiding some show on the other side.
    Or that it did so well in the ratings because it was bad weather.
    But you can bet your boots that many a time you'll see the flipside explanation offered when the ratings are poor.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    Timeshift ratings from the 19/20th May live shows:

Live show: 6.79m (up from 5.68m)
    Results: 6.28m (up from 5.80m)
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »

Really? Do you know the time-shift ratings from the 26/27 May semi-final?
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Really? Do you know the time-shift ratings from the 26/27 May semi-final?

They won't be released until next Tuesday.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To speak of trying to avoid other shows on other channels in order to get higher ratings is pretty much admitting defeat.

It's like admitting that some other show on some other channel is better than you, and that you have to avoid that show rather than that show fearing you and needing to avoid when you're on.

I notice how people don't concede that when the ratings are high that it was due to avoiding some show on the other side.
    Or that it did so well in the ratings because it was bad weather.
    But you can bet your boots that many a time you'll see the flipside explanation offered when the ratings are poor.

So right. I suppose they could shut all their other channels down and then claim The Voice is a huge ratings success.
  • Options
    happy tvhappy tv Posts: 1,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »

Still really bad. I can't imagine the final will do any better. Dancing on Ice we were told was in crisis when it went below 7m for one live show and that was just overnight ratings
  • Options
    jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many tuned in last night
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peaked just under 9 million averaging 7.1 million last night. Good ratings
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    alikhan wrote: »
    Peaked just under 9 million averaging 7.1 million last night. Good ratings

Just what I predicted. There were lots of people on Twitter saying they were watching for first time since auditions.

Leanne would have picked up a large proportion of votes from the casual viewers. It all came down to who was best on the night.
  • Options
    bookclub10bookclub10 Posts: 4,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good rating last night for The Voice:

Sam Hodges ‏@Sam_Hodges

The final of #TheVoiceUK peaks at 8.7m/39.7%, averaging 7.1m/34.2% – the highest rating show of the day #BBC1

From The Ratings thread:

The overnight series average of The Voice UK (2012) was 7.6m (34.5%). The averages for the different stages of the competition were:

- Auditions: 9.4m (40.9%)
    - Battles: 10.0m (40.4%)
    - Studio Shows: 6.6m (31.1%)
    * Saturday: 6.7m (33.0%)
    * Sunday: 6.4m (28.9%)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1659980&page=138
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Looking at the series averages (overnights) posted on the ratings thread it is clear there really is a basis for this show.
    The auditions really grab people, and they will do that again next year. So its just a matter of them getting the live shows right to hold on to those viewers, so people stay interested. Also need to make sure not to mess about with the scheduling, because that way people will stop watching.
    Last night proves people will watch, season 2 should be interesting to see what changes they make, i would hope they could get a spin off show going to allow people to get to know the contestants more too
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    drwhoru wrote: »

while you can argue that factors have certainly contributed to audience loss; the volume is staggering.

and the excuses are just that:

Wrong time of year: BGT and Dr Who have both managed to bring in audiences repeatedly over the same period.

Wrong Time Slot: 1800-2000 on Saturday night could and should be able to pull in above 6 million as a minimum outside of school holidays.

people watching on time shift: people who watch on the day are caught in overnight ratings. people may watch it on PVR later but that would be a exception for these types of shows if it is the case.

number one on iplayer: who cares? the options are limited to bbc programs, EastEnders is regularly number one and still does 7-10m in audiences. also, these are probably some of the same people who watched it live, or people who go on line to watch a small part of the show.

The Weather: if a show is only good enough to play out when it's too cold/dark to go out it is not worth 20m quid in the first place.

if this was made by a commercial broadcaster everyone involved would be getting a kicking, from Danny Cohen down.

Good post. Plus you've got the whole thing of, "do we really need another one of these"? We already have X Factor and BGT and what have you. It's OK the Beeb feeling the need to compete with them, but really forcing another talent show, especially one that's fundamentally the same as the competition, down the public's necks is asking just too much.

I'm not surprised they lost viewers. You can't make people care about more singing wannabes. The only highlight of this show for me, after a pretty impressive start, was Will.I.Am, who came across really well and very genuine. Which was a surprise as I expected him to be a right dick! Jessie J fared really badly imho.