Options

Big Bang Theory Season 8 - UK Pace Thread

Comments

• Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    There is a US paced thread already, And just linking to wiki....Why?
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    There is a US paced thread already, And just linking to wiki....Why?

Because it's lurking on page 4 and I didn't see it? Let's call this the UK pace thread.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    From what I've read and the little I've seen season 8 is already a stinker. More Amy and more Bernadette. Two very good reasons I'm avoiding it.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I still enjoy the show so I'm looking forward to it, although not looking forward to E4's splitting it up in to two or three parts to show over the next 12 months.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    It was only a couple of weeks ago that it was said that E4 didn't know when they were going to start the next series. We'll only be four weeks behind the US.

Don't care if others think it's ropey, I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont understand why everyone is saying that season 7 was crap???

I watched every episode and i think its a good series. I dont understand why they have changed Amy's character so much?
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I still enjoy the show so I'm looking forward to it, although not looking forward to E4's splitting it up in to two or three parts to show over the next 12 months.

Not E4's fault though as the season is fragmented in the US. E4 could wait until there's enough weeks gone by for them to show the whole season back to back but then they'd have folk whinging that they're having to wait!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not E4's fault though as the season is fragmented in the US. E4 could wait until there's enough weeks gone by for them to show the whole season back to back but then they'd have folk whinging that they're having to wait!

Oh I know there's really a no-win situation in that respect, but I do think E4 do go a teeny bit silly in their scheduling. Maybe they just need to be a bit bloody minded and wait a little longer just so they can show an unbroken run of it ?. I'm sure fans of the show would prefer 22 consecutive weeks of new stuff instead of half and half or even split in two thirds.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure what was going on in that first episode.

Erm...it just wasn't funny. The canned laughter was there (yes, I know there's a studio audience) but the laughs were coming at situations where there was no comedy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why have they changed Amys character so much?

I loved it when she was adjusting to life as a traditional teenage girl and being gay for penny. Now she is dull (except for her horniness which i find amusing)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm not sure what was going on in that first episode.

Erm...it just wasn't funny. The canned laughter was there (yes, I know there's a studio audience) but the laughs were coming at situations where there was no comedy.

I haven't watched any of the current season but judging by Season 7 they started to put in more scenes involving Howard and Bernadette often together just talking in their flat, they often had no humour or jokes in those scenes except Bernadette's awful whiny voice. These scenes were often really short perhaps 10-20 seconds. Never really understood it.

I can only assume that in their contracts they have some sort of agreement on airtime or scenes (why often in a TV series sometimes an episode might focus on one character) so they have to fit them in somehow.

The canned laughter might be if they were done when there was no audience there, most of those scenes seem pointless, I don't know if Season 8 is the same though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was confused when sheldon said he wanted to have sex with Amy when they got back to the apartment and then that subject got dropped throughout the whole episode?

I love Amy but shes become more human, i loved it when she was the female sheldon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tim18 wrote: »
    I was confused when sheldon said he wanted to have sex with Amy when they got back to the apartment and then that subject got dropped throughout the whole episode?

I love Amy but shes become more human, i loved it when she was the female sheldon.
    He said it to make sure she couldn't hear what he was saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched any of the current season but judging by Season 7 they started to put in more scenes involving Howard and Bernadette often together just talking in their flat, they often had no humour or jokes in those scenes except Bernadette's awful whiny voice. These scenes were often really short perhaps 10-20 seconds. Never really understood it.

I can only assume that in their contracts they have some sort of agreement on airtime or scenes (why often in a TV series sometimes an episode might focus on one character) so they have to fit them in somehow.

The canned laughter might be if they were done when there was no audience there, most of those scenes seem pointless, I don't know if Season 8 is the same though.
    Do they do scenes when there is no audience present apart from exterior ones? When they've shown the behind the scenes and recording sessions, they've shown all the room sets in a row in a very long studio with an audience, sometimes with retakes when it goes wrong or more than one interpretation of a scene so they can choose the one with the best audience reaction.

I suspect they might edit laughter to fit the final edit rather than used canned laughter. One example was when Sheldon had spent hours on a new room mate agreement for Leonard having a female living with them and when it fell through he threw the pages in the air. One page landed on his shoulder and both Jim Parson and Johnny Galecki giggled then went on to continue the scene. In the broadcast version their giggling was edited out, but the audience laughter was seamless.

As for scenes with just say Howard and Bernadette, sometimes they're separate scenes to show the part of their live which are separate from the rest of the group and sometimes they're background/additions to what's gone on with the whole group. It wouldn't make sense to show them only interacting with Leonard, Penny and Sheldon. For instance when Howard went to the space station, his conversations with Bernadette and his mother were reinforcing his character's personality for when he interacts with the others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know it may not be technically or officially classed as canned laughter but I would say it was pretty much the same.

They are not using the at the time audience laughter for the scene but editing in other laughter, even if it's from the same live audience.

Also for the other point, I realise that the show has been running a while and has to progress but in the past Raj and Howard were only there as background characters and would only be seen with the others.

Now they have been promoted to front line cast members but they don't seem to have enough to do with them and you get these silly cut away scenes just to have them involved in the episode.

Really, you could go several episode without seeing Raj and Howard apart from in the canteen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I know it may not be technically or officially classed as canned laughter but I would say it was pretty much the same.

They are not using the at the time audience laughter for the scene but editing in other laughter, even if it's from the same live audience.

Also for the other point, I realise that the show has been running a while and has to progress but in the past Raj and Howard were only there as background characters and would only be seen with the others.

Now they have been promoted to front line cast members but they don't seem to have enough to do with them and you get these silly cut away scenes just to have them involved in the episode.

Really, you could go several episode without seeing Raj and Howard apart from in the canteen.

Yes that was my main point, those cut away scenes are pointless but must be done to give them airtime but they never really had any real humour. When Raj was dating that really skinny weird looking woman I don't think I ever laughed once.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tim18 wrote: »
    Why have they changed Amys character so much?

I loved it when she was adjusting to life as a traditional teenage girl and being gay for penny. Now she is dull (except for her horniness which i find amusing)
    I was wondering what you meant by that. Do you mean because she missed out on that lifestyle at the time and is now beginning to live it? (going by last night's episode).

A few series ago when she was all over Penny she was annoying. A couple of series ago when she started to go steady with Sheldon the character changed and became a lot more mellow and subtle. A change for the better imo.

Now they've changed her back to being 'silly'.
  • Options
    Dress to KillDress to Kill Posts: 6,209
    Forum Member
    I love Amy's character, I've loved her since day one and continue to love her. I think she's hilarious in all her scenes. I think the way she is now is quite obvious - she's in a relationship with a man she loves, she no longer has to focus on trying to fit in with Penny because she's good friends with her now. So her focus is trying to make Sheldon act more how she wants him to.

Amy is definitely the second best character on the show now, imo. Honestly, I think it's the rest of the characters (bar Sheldon) who have become a little lackluster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WTF happened to this?

Penny is just boring now. She may as well have not been in the latest episode.

Sheldon seems to have also done an about turn. He used to be obsessive and if started a tast would want to finish it, so why was he happy to leave what they decided to do and watch movies?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Amy's character, I've loved her since day one and continue to love her. I think she's hilarious in all her scenes. I think the way she is now is quite obvious - she's in a relationship with a man she loves, she no longer has to focus on trying to fit in with Penny because she's good friends with her now. So her focus is trying to make Sheldon act more how she wants him to.

Amy is definitely the second best character on the show now, imo. Honestly, I think it's the rest of the characters (bar Sheldon) who have become a little lackluster.
    Another Amy fan here, she's a good actress. My daughter used to like Blossom and we often watched it together.
    The episode of BBT when Howard and Amy discover their mutual love for Neil Diamond is among the funniest.
    I like the way she's changed on the show, she has gone from being a lonely outcast to having friends and a boyfriend so becoming more confident. Her character is very well written in my opinion.
  • Options
    Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't understand what they are doing with Penny.

Drugs rep as a job? Not funny and not realistic.

She's not even funny any more and can barely bring herself to snooze through her lines.

And I guess she was going for the cute pixie look with her hair but it just ages her, like to a middle aged woman IMO!

Penny is turning the show into something I do not like, how sad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Really going off this show much is a shame because I used to love it so much :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't understand what they are doing with Penny.

Drugs rep as a job? Not funny and not realistic.

She's not even funny any more and can barely bring herself to snooze through her lines.

And I guess she was going for the cute pixie look with her hair but it just ages her, like to a middle aged woman IMO!

Penny is turning the show into something I do not like, how sad.
    Why? The character's an actress, has been a waitress so should be able to sell. All she'd have to do is learn about what she's selling. Doesn't need medical knowledge because the doctors she selling to will have that.
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or does the relationship with Leonard and Penny just seems off, almost like they are with each other for the sake of it.

Also Penny seems rather unpleasant, like she pretends to be sweet and gives off an impression of being all lovely but she really isn't and is actually quite cold and nasty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They probably don't know how to write for her now.

In the beginning it was simple. She was the new neighbour, the hot girl next door.

But the main scenes were her working and the group in the restaurant with her.

Then they could do the same with her joining them for food as she was always skint and scrounging off them.

It's a totally different dynamic now and she's not a lowly waitress or aspiring actress which were both better plot lines than a medical rep.