How do you deal with colleagues you can't stand?

Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
Forum Member
Is ignoring them the best option? Or do you find making an effort to be pleasant more effective?

There's a certain colleague I can't even look at the moment, who has been attempting to 'grass' me up on a regular basis for months, from pulling up my work and sending it to my manager, to taking an extra few minutes on break, to spreading rumours etc.....all very childish. The latest stunt was her listening to a private conversation of mine from a toilet (as you do) and then spreading the gossip around the office within minutes. Final straw for me.

This person has already been confronted and spoke to by management about the above, but moving forward - I'm finding it really hard to be civil to this person.....

Comments

• Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Be pleasant, courteous, don't give her any ammunition, and above all, don't let her know how much she riles you. Ignoring her will give her the satisfaction of knowing she's pissing you off. Smile happily and bid her a cheerful good morning every day.:D
    How did she overhear a private conversation in the toilet?:confused:
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Is ignoring them the best option? Or do you find making an effort to be pleasant more effective?

There's a certain colleague I can't even look at the moment, who has been attempting to 'grass' me up on a regular basis for months, from pulling up my work and sending it to my manager, to taking an extra few minutes on break, to spreading rumours etc.....all very childish. The latest stunt was her listening to a private conversation of mine from a toilet (as you do) and then spreading the gossip around the office within minutes. Final straw for me.

This person has already been confronted and spoke to by management about the above, but moving forward - I'm finding it really hard to be civil to this person.....

Be civil, otherwise it just looks as though you might be at fault, and she'll use that against you as well. In fact be pleasant - probably choke you to do it, but all the fault is then in her court.

But do be ultra cautious and guarded about her. Make sure you don't say anything controversial or personal when she is anywhere about. Indeed, ensure you are in a private place where you can't be overheard.

Stick strictly to rules, make sure your work is up to scratch - and then observe her. Watch and wait. Your opportunity will come at some stage.
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Be pleasant, courteous, don't give her any ammunition, and above all, don't let her know how much she riles you. Ignoring her will give her the satisfaction of knowing she's pissing you off. Smile happily and bid her a cheerful good morning every day.:D
    How did she overhear a private conversation in the toilet?:confused:

You couldn't make it up could you? LOL. There's a corridor with the gents, females, and then a separate 'disabled' toilet with it's own door and lock, which she was sitting in and listening through the wall....
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Humiliate them. I have one currently who tries to be a smart-arse and send (technically incorrect) emails to me with a passive-aggressive attempt at admonishing me. He copies lots of people in though, and that's what I find irritating. I would normally give people the courtesy of a private email if they are incorrect about technical matters so as not to embarrass them, but I copied everybody in by return because he's such a pillock.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You couldn't make it up could you? LOL. There's a corridor with the gents, females, and then a separate 'disabled' toilet with it's own door and lock, which she was sitting in and listening through the wall....

Sounds like she is a bit of a nutcase.
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Be civil, otherwise it just looks as though you might be at fault, and she'll use that against you as well. In fact be pleasant - probably choke you to do it, but all the fault is then in her court.

But do be ultra cautious and guarded about her. Make sure you don't say anything controversial or personal when she is anywhere about. Indeed, ensure you are in a private place where you can't be overheard.

Stick strictly to rules, make sure your work is up to scratch - and then observe her. Watch and wait. Your opportunity will come at some stage.

Sound advice Blueblade. Thing is, I've been civil for a long time, knowing that this person has been trying to 'stitch' me up, and what's worse is that she's always pretended to be ultra cool and tried to befriend me over our time there, when so when it first came to light, I didn't even suspect this person at all.

It's got to a point now though, where I can barely even bring myself to talk to her, let alone be civil.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Humiliate them. I have one currently who tries to be a smart-arse and send (technically incorrect) emails to me with a passive-aggressive attempt at admonishing me. He copies lots of people in though, and that's what I find irritating. I would normally give people the courtesy of a private email if they are incorrect about technical matters so as not to embarrass them, but I copied everybody in by return because he's such a pillock.

I caught somebody a pearler with that a year or two back. She'd copied everybody into an e mail, when she disagreed publicly with something I'd said on a technical matter, and questioned how I knew my interpretation was correct from a technical procedure circular. I simply copied everybody back, notifying her that I was confident my interpretation of the author's guidance was correct, as I was the the author - which I was.

That shut her up :kitty:

(if she'd had the intellect, she'd have realised the bulletin was mine anyway, as it had the month year, and my initials, at the top of the first page)
    Forum Member
    Jesus wept, she sounds a bit twisted. Be nice as pie to her face, and as others have said, bide your time. Toxic people always trip themselves up eventually.
    Forum Member

Yep, that's bang out of order. The person in question does similar to me, but sends through my potentially 'incorrect' customer responses directly to my manager. She does the same to other people too. A bit sad in my opinion....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sound advice Blueblade. Thing is, I've been civil for a long time, knowing that this person has been trying to 'stitch' me up, and what's worse is that she's always pretended to be ultra cool and tried to befriend me over our time there, when so when it first came to light, I didn't even suspect this person at all.

It's got to a point now though, where I can barely even bring myself to talk to her, let alone be civil.

If it gets to a point where it becomes intolerable, then raise the matter at the next review with your manager. Put your concerns to them - From what you say, I've no doubt they'll be aware anyway.

How frequently does your manager hold 1:1's or general reviews ?
    Forum Member
    Jesus wept, she sounds a bit twisted. Be nice as pie to her face, and as others have said, bide your time. Toxic people always trip themselves up eventually.

Yep, she's definitely a bit of a nut case, and is very 'toxic' to be around. The thing is though, she's good at pretending she likes you, which means you don't see it coming...

She has a long term sickness problem, which means she rarely gets through a week without going off sick - this has been going on all year. Many think her illness is 'imaginary', including me, so I reckon she's on thin ice anyways.....
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I caught somebody a pearler with that a year or two back. She'd copied everybody into an e mail, when she disagreed publicly with something I'd said on a technical matter, and questioned how I knew my interpretation was correct from a technical procedure circular. I simply copied everybody back, notifying her that I was confident my interpretation of the author's guidance was correct, as I was the the author - which I was.

That shut her up :kitty:

(if she'd had the intellect, she'd have realised the bulletin was mine anyway, as it had the month year, and my initials, at the top of the first page)

I hate the copying-everybody-in, it's a real supercilious attempt to try and look good by running somebody else down in public. Good when it backfires though.
    Forum Member
    If it gets to a point where it becomes intolerable, then raise the matter at the next review with your manager. Put your concerns to them - From what you say, I've no doubt they'll be aware anyway.

How frequently does your manager hold 1:1's or general reviews ?

My manager has assured me that she's been 'spoken' to and that he will be having one last 'conversation' with her too about it, so hopefully that might do some good....

One to ones and goal reviews are held monthly....
    Forum Member
    Yep, she's definitely a bit of a nut case, and is very 'toxic' to be around. The thing is though, she's good at pretending she likes you, which means you don't see it coming...

She has a long term sickness problem, which means she rarely gets through a week without going off sick - this has been going on all year. Many think her illness is 'imaginary', including me, so I reckon she's on thin ice anyways.....
    I worked with someone who had imaginary cancer. Her multiple workload failings were overlooked because of her illness, and her constant days off sick for treatment, recovery after surgery and so on and on and on, were all forgiven. Until a member of her family dropped her in it from a great height by revealing she wasn't ill at all. I think she WAS ill, personally, just not physically. She was a trial to work with, that's for sure. She's currently unemployed after having her contract with us terminated.
    Forum Member
    I worked with someone who had imaginary cancer. Her multiple workload failings were overlooked because of her illness, and her constant days off sick for treatment, recovery after surgery and so on and on and on, were all forgiven. Until a member of her family dropped her in it from a great height by revealing she wasn't ill at all. I think she WAS ill, personally, just not physically. She was a trial to work with, that's for sure. She's currently unemployed after having her contract with us terminated.

Yep, all sounds very similar to this person. Her illness is apparently 'anxiety' (which totally contradicts her aggressive and often hyperactive nature) and some sort of stomach pain that seems to come and go throughout each week. She'll be absolutely fine one minute, and then will start walking around the office holding her stomach in pain and putting on a real show. It all looks so dramatic and fake.

Any idea of how your employer finally managed to get rid? Which grounds did they terminate her contract on? Word on the street is that higher management have had enough but can't really prove that she's not actually sick, despite having an internal doctor assess her and claim that he couldn't find anything wrong....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, all sounds very similar to this person. Her illness is apparently 'anxiety' (which totally contradicts her aggressive and often hyperactive nature) and some sort of stomach pain that seems to come and go throughout each week. She'll be absolutely fine one minute, and then will start walking around the office holding her stomach in pain and putting on a real show. It all looks so dramatic and fake.

Any idea of how your employer finally managed to get rid? Which grounds did they terminate her contract on? Word on the street is that higher management have had enough but can't really prove that she's not actually sick, despite having an internal doctor assess her and claim that he couldn't find anything wrong....

It sounds like this woman is an attention seeker.

At any rate, the great news from your point of view is that your manager is fully aware of the situation, and is obviously monitoring it. The nightmare scenario - which i've seen - is when such an individual has the management team in the palm of their hands.
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always be pleasant, otherwise things have a habit of coming back to haunt you. If you can't stand it, look for a transfer or another job.
    Forum Member

Her contract was terminated because she posted defamatory comments about the company on Twitter - under her real name, with a link to the company website. She wasn't particularly bright.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The nightmare scenario - which i've seen - is when such an individual has the management team in the palm of their hands.

I have experienced this. In this scenario, the best thing is to start looking for an external job ASAP. You will never win.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds like you're already on the case with it anyway, but the above is the best advice.

Nothing to be gained by doing anything other than pursuing it through the proper channels. From what you've described, it sounds like her conduct is bordering on harassment, and ensuring the company are kept aware of her behaviour is key - they have a duty of care to protect you from such behaviour.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My manager has assured me that she's been 'spoken' to and that he will be having one last 'conversation' with her too about it, so hopefully that might do some good....

One to ones and goal reviews are held monthly....
    What needs to be done is to work out what steps are required and what evidence is required to sack her.
    Then gather the evidence, and follow the policy and get rid of her.
    I am amazed that she can have so much time off. If it were where I work, she would already be under 'supervised sickness' with a view to controlling her sickness levels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the copying-everybody-in, it's a real supercilious attempt to try and look good by running somebody else down in public. Good when it backfires though.

Gives you a little rosy glow ;-)
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely agree with you. It's usually a childish attempt at making someone feel or look bad. I am sure those others who are decent people who receive these emails think the same.

My other gripe is those offices where people can sit 'gossiping' on instant messengers. It's the ideal tool for nasty gossips and I've seen people caught out being cruel and slagging off people on these things. I'd ban them in any office workplace.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree, don't know why so many offices allow these instant messenger things. Usually it's used by people chatting to other people in the same open plan office about non-work related stuff.
  • RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I have experienced this. In this scenario, the best thing is to start looking for an external job ASAP. You will never win.

Oh yes, the more advanced sociopaths are a nightmare.

As for the OP if the offender is having lots of time off sick you already have them on the ropes so just stick it out. She will trip herself up.