The best historical fiction books you've read

Comments

• panixspanixs Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really loved doomsday book by connie willis. Its a nice mix of sci fi and historical fiction and i like that it takes place in a small village not a city as most historical fiction does.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    I'm a recent convert to the Roman era genre.

Douglas Jacksons Gaius Valerius Verens series is absolutely fantastic. The first one is Hero of Rome, there is also Defender of, Avenger of, Sword of and Enemy of.

Anthony Riches Empire series is great too, set (initially) on Hadrian's Wall.

There's also Ben Kane who is well worth a go

I guess you've already found Simon Scarrow?
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »

i'd like to read stuff set in either the roman era (loved Pompeii by Robert Harris) or with a viking setting if anyone knows of anything!

For the Roman era, starting in Britain, I am reading Simon Scarrow's series. Previously I read the Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davis. No doubt you have looked at the lengthy list given by Wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiction_set_in_the_Roman_Empire

For Vikings I read Bernard Cornwell's series about Uthred starting with The Last Kingdom from 866. This is set in "England".
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I guess you've already found Simon Scarrow?

Indeed, he was the first one I read but I never quite got into his books in the same way as the authors I named above.

Cant really put my finger on why. Same with Conn Iggulden.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit of an eclectic reader - never been into chic lit though - and at the moment I'm on an historical kick. I'm on the third book in the Emperor series by Conn Iggulden, The Field of Swords, about the life of Julius Caesar, I'm really enjoying it. Also, in between those books, I re-read The Persian Boy by Mary Renault about the life of Alexander the Great.
    The C J Sansom, Matthew Shardlake books are also a favourite of mine, as is Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett and it's follow up World without End.

And then who knows, next week when I've finished this one, I might go back to some detective fiction. I just love having my head stuck in a really good book.
  • Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a huge passion for historical fiction, and there are so many to recommend..............

But my favourite EVER historical ficition novel and in fact, favourite ever novel of any genre, is The Greenlanders by Jane Smiley. It is based on the true story of the Vikings who set sail from Iceland to Greenland to set up a new colony. After several hundred years, the Greenlanders mysteriously vanished and to this day, no-one is quite sure what happened to them.

The novel is meticulously researched and you feel you're transported back to medieval Greenland. For the few weeks it took me to read it (it's a long book) my husband was cruelly ignored.

I would recommend it to any lover of historical fiction, or just great fiction!

I also love historical fiction about witchcraft, and in this bracket would come:
    The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston, Daughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt, Witch Light By Susan Green, They are all brilliant evocations of the witch's way. (And if anyone has any other recommendations of witchy novels to read, I'd be v grateful to get them!)

Moll
    x
  • Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    Wow! There's some fantastic recommendations here that I've put on my list of must reads. Thank you. :)

Someone mentioned The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon K Penman about Richard III, and I heartily agree that this was without doubt one of the best books I've read with a complete different take on Richard III. This was recommended to me several years ago and I then went on to read all of her Plantagenet series of books. Brilliant stuff. :)

I've just purchased The King's Curse by Philippa Gregory to read when I go on holiday. This is 5.3 mbs on Kindle, so should hopefully keep me going for two weeks. :D If anyone's read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    Forum Member
    I also meant to add that I'm another one who is a big fan of CJ Sansom and the Shardlake series. Also loved Ken Follett's 'The Pillars of the Earth' and 'World Without End'.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    i LOVED that book!!!!

I've also really enjoyed the Shardlake series by CJ Sansom (Dissolution is the first)
    the John Shakespeare series by Rory Clements (i think Martyr is the first)
    and i'm currently reading some more tudor era, the Giordano Bruno series by SJ Parris (Heresy is the first in the series)

i'd like to read stuff set in either the roman era (loved Pompeii by Robert Harris) or with a viking setting if anyone knows of anything!

If you like those books, and I've read them all (sansom is by far the best, IMHO), and you want Roman stuff, I'd suggest Steven Saylor's Gordianus books.

As others said Cornwell's Viking books are very good.
  • Lolly_Du_BekeLolly_Du_Beke Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir is fantastic. About Lady Jane Grey. If you don't cry you have no heart ha ha
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a great thread - I've added quite a few of these recommendations to my 'To Read' list.
    Forum Member
    Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir is fantastic. About Lady Jane Grey. If you don't cry you have no heart ha ha

Oh I remember that one. What a tragic and very sad story. Heartrending.
    Forum Member
    luckylila wrote: »
    What a great thread - I've added quite a few of these recommendations to my 'To Read' list.

Yes me too :)
  • chameleonATchameleonAT Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    For just pre- and post- Julius Caesar, I really recommend the Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Rome

Or if you want something lighter, the Falco novels of Lindsey Davis about a Roman private detective
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the CJ Sansom Shardlake series. The books seemed to improve as they progres. I'm just reading the sixth and last book Lamentation which is excellent.

The brilliant 8 volume (sometimes sold as 3) Baroque Cycle series by Neal Stephenson gets my vote as the best historical fiction I've ever read. A few minor liberties may have been taken but don't get fooled by the SciFi libel. It's a masterpiece.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quicksilver-Baroque-Cycle/dp/0099410680/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432411672&sr=8-1&keywords=baroque+cycle

Also a special mention for the superb book The Name Of The Rose by Umberto Eco.
    Forum Member
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I enjoyed the CJ Sansom Shardlake series. The books seemed to improve as they progres. I'm just reading the sixth and last book Lamentation which is excellent.

The brilliant 8 volume (now sold as 3) Baroque Cycle series by Neal Stephenson gets my vote as the best historical fiction I've ever read. A few minor liberties may have been taken but don't get fooled by the SciFi libel. It's a masterpiece.

Just came on post about the Shardlake series, I'm quite a recent convert to it but its great.

In addition to the authors I mentioned in my earlier post about Roman novels, I've just started the Agent of Rome series by Nick Brown (The Siege, The Imperial Banner, The Far Shore, The Black Stone, The Emperors Silver) and highly recommend them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just came on post about the Shardlake series, I'm quite a recent convert to it but its great.

In addition to the authors I mentioned in my earlier post about Roman novels, I've just started the Agent of Rome series by Nick Brown (The Siege, The Imperial Banner, The Far Shore, The Black Stone, The Emperors Silver) and highly recommend them.

They sound very interesting. I will be looking into those. I recently read Eagle in the Snow
    by Wallace Breem which is highly recommended.

While I'm at I've just got to mention the Flashman books by George MacDonald Fraser. How could I forget! I have the entire set in dead wood on the book shelf. Historical fiction at its best.
    Forum Member
    They sound very interesting. I will be looking into those. I recently read Eagle in the Snow
    by Wallace Breem which is highly recommended.

I particularly recommend Douglas Jackson's Verrens series if you enjoy the Roman stuff, they blew me away when I first read them and are responsible for my slightly worrying addiction to the genre.

Will check our your suggestion, I'm always open to a new author!

And as for Flashy, check out my earlier post 😉 it appears we have a mutual friend
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I particularly recommend Douglas Jackson's Verrens series if you enjoy the Roman stuff, they blew me away when I first read them and are responsible for my slightly worrying addiction to the genre.

Will check our your suggestion, I'm always open to a new author!

Likewise. Thanks,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And as for Flashy, check out my earlier post 😉 it appears we have a mutual friend

Haha.. missed that. I really loved those books and have read the entire series (including all the footnotes) at least three times. Good old Flashy tells it like it is.:D
    Forum Member
    Haha.. missed that. I really loved those books and have read the entire series (including all the footnotes) at least three times. Good old Flashy tells it like it is.:D

Yes, I have the whole series too - they get a reread every couple of years, in fact I'm probably due a revisit.

Flashy is a bit of a hero of mine, my daughters middle name is Elspeth. My other half wasn't too happy when she found out a bit more about the dear Mrs F 😂😂😂
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to enjoy the Flashman series of books by George Macdonald Fraser

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flashman-Papers-Book-1-ebook/dp/B002RI9J2I/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432412829&sr=1-3&keywords=george+macdonald+fraser

Couldn't get enough of them. No idea how they'd read now. And I used to adore Jean Plaidy and James Michener. And Penmarric by Susan Howatch.

Far and way the best I've read is A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suitable-Boy-Vikram-Seth-ebook/dp/B00FRKPC9C/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432412914&sr=1-3&keywords=vikram+seth

Also, for recent history

Sour Sweet by Timothy Mo
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sour-Sweet-Timothy-Mo/dp/0952419327/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432412942&sr=1-1&keywords=sour+sweet
    The Buddha of Surburbia - Hanif Kureishi
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buddha-Suburbia-Hanif-Kureishi-ebook/dp/B002RI90FO/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432413156&sr=1-1&keywords=buddha+of+suburbia
    Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Remains-Day-Kazuo-Ishiguro/dp/0571258247/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432413194&sr=1-1&keywords=remains+of+the+day
    The Go-Between = LP Hartley
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-between-L-P-Hartley-ebook/dp/B00SM4EIB8/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432413247&sr=1-1&keywords=lp+hartley

Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joy-Luck-Club-Amy-Tan-ebook/dp/B0031Y9DPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432413495&sr=1-1&keywords=joy+luck+club

Also books like the Name of the Rose, Gone with the Wind, Regeneration Trilogy, Jewel in the Crown etc are very good, of course.
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, 2 pages on best historical fiction and no one has suggested I, Claudius and no mention of anything by Mary Renault or Alfred Duggan. How the mighty have fallen!
  • GenyGeny Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Daughter of Lir by Diana Norman. I think it's out of print but there must be some used copies about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    Oh dear, 2 pages on best historical fiction and no one has suggested I, Claudius and no mention of anything by Mary Renault or Alfred Duggan. How the mighty have fallen!

Not quite an historical novel, I know, but I lost my copy of The Golden Fleece
    by Robert Graves eons ago. I loved that book and for years it was like it had never been written. Now available on kindle..