Options

Clarkson suspended by BBC following fracas with producer

Comments

• Options
    hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch Top Gear from time to time and to be honest The show can go on without him IMO. The brand is bigger then the man.

Also if ANYONE else did this in anyother job they would be out the door immediately and told never to come back, i can bet all Clarkson is going to bet is a fine, slap on the wrist and told never to do it again. In my opinion he is a vile man who keeps f**king up and gets away with it he should be sacked even after he made the N slur the BBC will never learn.
    No it's not, but calm down it's not he killed anyone so they say.

But he PHYSICALLY ASSAULTED someone he could get done for that, it is a serious matter people seem to be taking it way to lightly IMO.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the BBC will be using this a cost cutting exercise to save £ millions ?

I am sure there are presenters willing to do the show for a fraction of the three current presenters
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps he's not himself when he's hungry, someone should have bought him a Snickers bar.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am sure there are presenters willing to do the show for a fraction of the three current presenters

I'm not sure it will work that way because the money Top Gear makes for them probably far exceeds what Jeremy Clarkson's wages are.

I think he'll probably get away with it seeing as the show makes tens of millions of pounds for them. Money talks, and he always gets away with things anyway.
  • Options
    hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure it will work that way because the money Top Gear makes for them probably far exceeds what Jeremy Clarkson's wages are.

I think he'll probably get away with it seeing as the show makes tens of millions of pounds for them. Money talks, and he always gets away with things anyway.

WOPIEE! Another slap on the wrist because of WHO it is where as if any normal person they would get sacked. Our society makes me sick!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch Top Gear from time to time and to be honest The show can go on without him IMO. The brand is bigger then the man.

Also if ANYONE else did this in anyother job they would be out the door immediately and told never to come back, i can bet all Clarkson is going to bet is a fine, slap on the wrist and told never to do it again. In my opinion he is a vile man who keeps f**king up and gets away with it he should be sacked even after he made the N slur the BBC will never learn.

But he PHYSICALLY ASSAULTED someone he could get done for that, it is a serious matter people seem to be taking it way to lightly IMO.

I'm not going to say whether it should be taken lightly or seriously, but I really do think that if there was a news report from The Daily Mail or The Guardian posted in the General Discussion forum talking about a member of the public in a normal job who punched a colleague, there would be many posters baying for their blood and crying out for something to be done.
    I've seen several threads where casual violence in public has been reported and even caught on video, and the internet goes crazy in outrage all queuing up to condemn the person.
  • Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member

Did he, though? The BBC report this evening says he 'aimed a punch' at the guy in question. 'Aimed a punch' is not 'PHYSICALLY ASSAULTED'.

Surely it's better to wait and see what actually happened rather than jumping on some ridiculous anti-Clarkson bandwagon?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOPIEE! Another slap on the wrist because of WHO it is where as if any normal person they would get sacked. Our society makes me sick!

Although in an entirely different league I remember the incident with Chris Brown and Rihanna, and many of the responses on the internet were interesting to say the least. What he did was sort of gradually swept under the carpet and he then continued with his career as usual.
    It's like a whole different world between the world of the media celebrities and the general public. I think that when it comes to the potential of how much money can be made or lost it makes a serious impact on how things are judged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BBC own the Top Gear rights etc,JC sold them in 2012 , so all they need is 1 , 2 or 3 new presenters and as .........................
    The current deals of all three Top Gear presenters are set to expire in April.

From here

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/554572/Jeremy-Clarkson-Agree-Top-Gear-Contract

So now is the time to save the millions paid to the existing presenters , its March now so not much left on any of the contracts

BBC could whisper in RH ear and offer him the top job @ 750 k per year , a 50% pay rise and test his resolve

I like TG but maybe it is time for a change of presenters

TG has been around since the late 70's with various presenters
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member

it was reported in the telegraph today that TG brings in £150 million a year so if they bin the programme that 's quite a chunk of revenue to risk losing at a time when there are MPs saying it's time the licence fee was removed.

on a separate issue John Prescott seemed to get away with punching someone without getting sacked and that was on film, not just a did he didn't he rumour.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC own the Top Gear rights etc,JC sold them in 2012 , so all they need is 1 , 2 or 3 new presenters and as .........................

From here

So now is the time to save the millions paid to the existing presenters , its March now so not much left on any of the contracts

BBC could whisper in RH ear and offer him the top job @ 750 k per year , a 50% pay rise and test his resolve

JC and to a lesser extent May and Hammond have made the show their own and I think TG would not work at all with new presenters. They'd be embarassing us and themselves trying to be zany and generate the chemistry. It would be cringeworthy to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    JC and to a lesser extent May and Hammond have made the show their own and I think TG would not work at all with new presenters. They'd be embarassing us and themselves trying to be zany and generate the chemistry. It would be cringeworthy to watch.

Maybe this is the next chapter of the evolution of TG or simply the End ?
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Means nothing to me, Clarkson is Top Gear unless he murdered someone or an animal or raped someone I don't care.

Harsh truth from me.

So if you were punched by a work colleague you wouldn't be bothered because you like the guy??
    And (strange values) Clarkson HAS murdered animals. He's openly admitted it. Perhaps that'll change your mind (him possibly assaulting a work colleague seemingly didn't )
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

From here

Top Gear is finished without Clarkson,May and Hammond.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »

It is not heart surgery they perform just reading Autocues and a little bit of adlib
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member

They might struggle when Top Gear makes them £150 million a year.

And as has been said, with any other presenters it wouldn't work the same as it does now, and would be nowhere near as successful.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TG revenue is closer to £50mil/year.

As for replacing them, it's impossible. The audience is watching because of them, the show has little attraction in itself.

It would have probably ended in a few years anyway. I think if the complaint is upheld the show will be dumped.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    It is not heart surgery they perform just reading Autocues and a little bit of adlib
    Oh, well if that's all there is to it, just replace them with Alex Jones, Matt Baker and Dominic Littlewood...
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do more then adlib and autocue, they drive cars and have a good rapport.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, well if that's all there is to it, just replace them with Alex Jones, Matt Baker and Dominic Littlewood...

Don't be silly.............

Adrian Chiles,Susanna Reid and Graham Norton are odds on to get the booking :p
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do more then adlib and autocue, they drive cars and have a good rapport.

Oh puleeeeeeeeezzzzzeeeeeeeeee

Nobody repeat nobody(not even JC) is ever a bigger star than the programme itself.
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    I think it's rather disgusting. He knows the show is 'nothing without him' (debatable, but hey..) and so with him being suspended, there will be no show this weekend and maybe not for the next 2 shows. That puts a lot of people out of work for a few weeks. Not just May and Hammond, but everyone from the people showing you where to park to the people checking your tickets to the camera people to the directors...

I happen to enjoy the show, but Mr. Clarkson is becoming a bit of a pain and for him to do this and thinking he can get away with it because he's the golden goose is beyond pathetic. Why not take the responsibility that goes with being a presentor of such a hugely successful show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    I think it's rather disgusting. He knows the show is 'nothing without him' (debatable, but hey..) and so with him being suspended, there will be no show this weekend and maybe not for the next 2 shows. That puts a lot of people out of work for a few weeks. Not just May and Hammond, but everyone from the people showing you where to park to the people checking your tickets to the camera people to the directors...

I happen to enjoy the show, but Mr. Clarkson is becoming a bit of a pain and for him to do this and thinking he can get away with it because he's the golden goose is beyond pathetic. Why not take the responsibility that goes with being a presentor of such a hugely successful show?

JC doesn't give a toss for those people imho.
    JC only cares about JC.;-)
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    Yes I know that. Sad, isn't it? On the one hand he's the first to say that Top Gear is nothing without him, but he doesn't understand that the show would be nothing without every single one of those people working hard to get the show on air and get the audience there.

Incredibly sad to get to that age and still not be able to see beyond your own little self, or rather, your own huge ego.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    Yes I know that. Sad, isn't it? On the one hand he's the first to say that Top Gear is nothing without him, but he doesn't understand that the show would be nothing without every single one of those people working hard to get the show on air and get the audience there.

Incredibly sad to get to that age and still not be able to see beyond your own little self, or rather, your own huge ego.

Spot on my friend. ;-)

Imho JC is an out and out arse.>:(