Leaving young children to go on holiday

maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
Forum Member
Just been reading about the Tunisian survivor story of the guy who used himself as a human shield to save his fiancee. Very well done to him and all that but I cannot understand why they would leave two children aged 6 and 15 months to go for a 2 week holiday, that is totally selfish imo!

Comments

• bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been reading about the Tunisian survivor story of the guy who used himself as a human shield to save his fiancee. Very well done to him and all that but I cannot understand why they would leave two children aged 6 and 15 months to go for a 2 week holiday, that is totally selfish imo!

Maybe it is but they are probably still alive because of it.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If the kids were happy with Grandparents etc then what's the harm in Mum and Dad having a break ? We used to love it when our parents went off for a weekend and we got to say with Nan and Granddad and they loved it too.
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Maybe it is but they are probably still alive because of it.

Take it you mean their children? Hmm.....well that is a tenuous way of absolving them if ever I seen one.
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    If the kids were happy with Grandparents etc then what's the harm in Mum and Dad having a break ? We used to love it when our parents went off for a weekend and we got to say with Nan and Granddad and they loved it too.

I don't begrudge anyone a break but a 2 week break away from kids that age is a bit excessive.
  • Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why they would leave two children aged 6 and 15 months to go for a 2 week holiday, that is totally selfish imo!

You are mistaken. Kids that age wouldn't have appreciated it and would have probably played up and spoiled the holiday for the parents and other holiday makers after a bit of relaxation. I've no kids that I know of, but imagine it's healthy for parents to stop being mum and dad for a week or two and enjoy a holiday as partners.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought, by the title, that the kids may have been abandoned to fend for themselves.

I can't see anything wrong with it to be honest. As long as the children and grandparents / childminders are happy with the arrangement it's up to them...I don't see the parents as being selfish for taking a break.

Too hot in Tunisia for kids that age anyway (re holiday).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    I thought, by the title, that the kids may have been abandoned to fend for themselves.

Yeah me too, it was a bit misleading.

The grandparents are probably made up, the kids happy, and the parents too. It's a win win situation for all concerned as far as I can tell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take it you mean their children? Hmm.....well that is a tenuous way of absolving them if ever I seen one.

Well I would not have done it personlly but some grandparents love spending a long time with their granchildren. Maybe that's what the eldest wanted and they thought the youngest would not enjoy or remember the holiday.

I did mean the children but it's probably true if they had gone the murdering scum might have killed them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah me too, it was a bit misleading.

The grandparents are probably made up, the kids happy, and the parents too. It's a win win situation for all concerned as far as I can tell.

Totally agree. The family have years ahead of them to have "family holidays". I don't blame the couple for wanting some "me time" whilst the kids are so young..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree. The family have years ahead of them to have "family holidays". I don't blame the couple for wanting some "me time" whilst the kids are so young..

I'm suspecting the OP might resemble the overwhelming mother in The Goldbergs (on E4, it's quite amusing), who suffocates her children with love and micromanages their lives :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Well I would not have done it personlly but some grandparents love spending a long time with their granchildren. Maybe that's what the eldest wanted and they thought the youngest would not enjoy or remember the holiday.

I did mean the children but it's probably true if they had gone the murdering scum might have killed them.

Horrible thought isn't it.

Then you'd get some folks, perhaps, wondering why parents would think about taking such young kids that far for a holiday / hot climate / terrorist threats etc etc. Can't win.

Didn't take people long to comment / criticise the victims. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm suspecting the OP might resemble the overwhelming mother in The Goldbergs (on E4, it's quite amusing), who suffocates her children with love and micromanages their lives :D

"Hush now, baby, baby, don't you cry"
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My own first thought, when I heard about that couple, was "Thank God they didn't take the kids away with them."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've never watched :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    My own first thought, when I heard about that couple, was "Thank God they didn't take the kids away with them."

Yes. Could you imagine if they had, the press would probably have had a field day, after their initial sympathy outlay that is..build them up to knock them down. The ensuing pitchfork mob, no doubt, would have crucified them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't see anything wrong with it to be honest. As long as the children and grandparents / childminders are happy with the arrangement it's up to them...I don't see the parents as being selfish for taking a break.

Too hot in Tunisia for kids that age anyway (re holiday)

Exactly. They are staying with the grandparents who they know well I presume.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrible thought isn't it.

Then you'd get some folks, perhaps, wondering why parents would think about taking such young kids that far for a holiday / hot climate / terrorist threats etc etc. Can't win.

Didn't take people long to comment / criticise the victims. :(

He has been admired for being brave. That automatically makes him a target for a certain type of person.
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe that had a chance of a cheap holiday, and the oldest child would have had to be taken out of school.

Maybe they have a couple of holidays one for them, and one as a family.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relly wrote: »

I agree, that was my first thought too.

My second was why the OP should find a problem with family looking after the children while they have a holiday?. I see nothing wrong in it, and frankly find it odd the OP does.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another day, another "let's slag off parents, shall we?" thread on DS.
  • Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member

We have been known to leave our two year old daughter with her grandparents so that we can go out for an evening of selfish enjoyment. We might go to a pub, or to a restaurant for a nice meal and some down-time.

Disgraceful I know, but we do this once a month or so and our daughter doesn't seem to be any the worse for having her doting grandparents look after her, put her to bed, read her stories and other such tortures. Rather, she seems to enjoy it when she sees us starting to get ready to go out and we tell her that nana and grandpa are coming.

Her grandparents...? They love it..!!
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    As long as the children are being properly cared for, I really don't see what the problem is. I've left my son with his dad before and went away with my mum, he coped just fine.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents went on two week holidays a couple of times when I was small and I hated it, none of our family had room for us so we would all be spilt up and go to different people's houses. My grandparents would take one kid and then the rest went to various friends of my parents. We never got away as a family but they would go on really expensive luxurious holidays together for 2-3 weeks and I always thought it was selfish of them.

Each to their own but I couldn't go on holiday and leave my children, it's a personal choice and probably based on how angry I used to get when my parents went away and left all of us.

When my eldest was in nursery there was a mother of one of his friends who went off to Ibiza for two weeks, she then decided she wanted to stay an extra week taking it to three weeks but when she was supposed to return home there was that problem with the volcanic ash and she got stuck, in the end she was away for over a month.
  • PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as a parent who never gets a break from my children, as much as I love them, this seems like criticising for the sake of it.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you.

I'm not saying parents with young children can't have a break away from them - quite the opposite in fact; I think it's good for children to spend time with others eg grandparents - but a 2 week holiday away from a 6 year old and a 15 month old is far too long to be away from them in my opinion.

As it turns out though, it was a God send that these kids weren't with their parents in Tunisia but that's by the by.

We are very lucky in that my parents and my in-laws would look after our daughter for a fortnight in a heartbeat if we asked them but we would never leave her for that long; I think we would miss her too much.