Options

Final Decision Regarding Our Dog

2»

Comments

• Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    Mine had an enlarged heart, but had no symptoms at the time the vet discovered it. He had arthritis, and after months of treatment, which worked really well, one day he just didn't want to stand up. That was the day we took him to the vets :cry:

The thing that I really don't like about this medication is any sort of improvement is a glimmer of hope. We know it is only a cover up of a serious underlying problem, though the vet will say well it has helped him. I don't want to mask the illness.
    Though he is a lot more comfortable today I can clearly see he is still not right. I feel it is a false illusion to us all these drugs.
    I love my dog, I don't want to lose him but I won't let him suffer through ignorance either.
    It would make me feel so much better if he showed no sign of improving to medication as it's obvious it would make me feel better making the final decision.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member
    If you're having to help him in and out of the car he's lost his dignity.

I can't believe this because I've said this to another person today. My friend ( a cat/dog lover ) says that the most respect you can give an animal is to do the right thing by them when the time comes. They give a lot to you and they deserve to be respected. In other words, put the animal first.

If quality of life is poor then unfortunatey you have to make that decision, not the vet.

The other person's animal was respected today.

I really feel for you OP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so sorry Misty :cry: I think you know what you have to do though. You will not want to leave your dog in a kennel while he/she is so unwell, and you would feel so guilty if something happened while you were away.

The kindest thing to do is the hardest thing to do here, it will be devastating, but you have to do the right thing. God bless hun xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    mistygal wrote: »
    I was about to ask that question. What happens with him after ? I'd like to have him cremated and get his ashes maybe. My goodness yam I thinking this far already? He is lying next to me now, bless him.

We had our border collie put to sleep at home nearly a year ago and the vets were really good about it all - we spoke to them in the morning when they told us the test results and we agreed it was time to let her go. They asked us what we wanted to do after and then came out that afternoon, did what they had to, then gave us another twenty minutes with her. After that they took her to the pet crematorium and phoned us about a week later to say we could come and collect her ashes. Obviously they must handle that sort of thing all the time, but they were really kind and helped a lot.

It was a horrible decision to have to make, but in the end we knew we were doing the right thing - pets trust us to make the right decision for them and it sounds like you are doing the best thing for your dog.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mutleykaz wrote: »

I can't believe this because I've said this to another person today. My friend ( a cat/dog lover ) says that the most respect you can give an animal is to do the right thing by them when the time comes. They give a lot to you and they deserve to be respected. In other words, put the animal first.

If quality of life is poor then unfortunatey you have to make that decision, not the vet.

No we are not having to lift him yet. He still clmbs onto the back seat as always.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jessca wrote: »
    We had our border collie put to sleep at home nearly a year ago and the vets were really good about it all - we spoke to them in the morning when they told us the test results and we agreed it was time to let her go. They asked us what we wanted to do after and then came out that afternoon, did what they had to, then gave us another twenty minutes with her. After that they took her to the pet crematorium and phoned us about a week later to say we could come and collect her ashes. Obviously they must handle that sort of thing all the time, but they were really kind and helped a lot.

It was a horrible decision to have to make, but in the end we knew we were doing the right thing - pets trust us to make the right decision for them and it sounds like you are doing the best thing for your dog.

Oooh I know what you mean. I just wish those big brown eyes wouldn't dote on me so much:cry::cry::cry: He watches every move I make. He adores me so much and I have to choose his fate. It is awful, I'm torn apart:cry:
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard the expression regarding showing your pet that last act of love, "better a week too soon than a day too late".

I think sometimes vets forget that the owner knows the best for their dog. They get fixated on what they could do rather than what the should do. If the medication is relieving the symptoms and dog isn't suffering, I'd be inclined to give it a go. If the medication doesn't give dog a good quality of life, it's time to let him go. Only you - not the vet - know s what your dog's quality of life is like.

It's a hard decision at the best of times, its pretty bad that your vet is making things worse. If there is another vet in the practice you can see, I'd see them. If there is another surgery you can go to, perhaps give them a call and explain the situation.

But most of all enjoy these last few days as much as you can. Having been through this with a cat, that last day is precious. Don't let the vet spoil it. You know you are making the right decision, as only you know your dog.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mutleykaz wrote: »

I don't agree. The dog I have now has to be helped in and out the car everyday, but he is in no pain, he runs and plays and is a happy dog. He's just not as agile as he used to be, due to a spinal injury.

I'm not going to go into all the details here - enough people comment on our situation practically every day, some most unpleasantly - suffice to say that each situation is different.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP your post made me well up.:(

When I was younger we had a cat that had kidney failure - she was the best fed cat in town eating only fresh stuff as prescibed by the vet - but one day vet was honest and said that enough was enough, that the kindest thing was to put her to sleep.

Obviously whenever your pooch has to go it is gonna be heart wrenching. I dont now how you feel about your vet, but if you feel that he/she is just using pooch as a cash cow then maybe you should consult another.

Losing a pet is a real pisser but sometimes the kindest thing is to let them go.

My best wishes :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds to me as if you know the time has come. You know your dog better than any vet does, so do what your heart tells you. You feel it is time to say goodbye and let your dog go.

I've been in that position several times myself, so I know how it feels, but there comes a point when you know your pet is no longer enjoying life and you are just prolonging the suffering.

I'm so sorry you find yourself in this situation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your post made me all teary!
    I'm so sorry that your family and your lovely dog are going through this...big hugs to all of you. xxx
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems kinder to have him put down, I could understand if he had something wrong with him that could be fixed with drugs, but its not going to. Seems a bit cruel to prolong his life when hes not happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sulross wrote: »
    Seems kinder to have him put down, I could understand if he had something wrong with him that could be fixed with drugs, but its not going to. Seems a bit cruel to prolong his life when hes not happy.

A catch up for all of you who were concerned with my post.
    Well I'm happy:confused: That he has responded to the treatment. He is comfortable and back to almost the same dog on this medication.
    I have spoken to kennels. The guy who owns them used to own WH himself. He said IWH are prone to a bit of heart trouble and he has seen dogs live an extra 18mth on this medication. He was very nice about it and said don't worry that my dog won't be the first he has taken in on this treatment.
    My only problem is this has made my decision even harder now. He is bright and alert, eating well and enjoying short walks on the lead. The problem being is once th insurance money dries up it's down to us to keep him going. The vet said the tablets will cost about £150 a month or I could get a prescription and buy them offline for about £100. Still too much in my opinion.
    Why oh why did the vet push us down this road in the first place. It's made matters worse in our perspective:(
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A catch up for all of you who were concerned with my post.
    Well I'm happy:confused: That he has responded to the treatment. He is comfortable and back to almost the same dog on this medication.
    I have spoken to kennels. The guy who owns them used to own WH himself. He said IWH are prone to a bit of heart trouble and he has seen dogs live an extra 18mth on this medication. He was very nice about it and said don't worry that my dog won't be the first he has taken in on this treatment.
    My only problem is this has made my decision even harder now. He is bright and alert, eating well and enjoying short walks on the lead. The problem being is once th insurance money dries up it's down to us to keep him going. The vet said the tablets will cost about £150 a month or I could get a prescription and buy them offline for about £100. Still too much in my opinion.
    Why oh why did the vet push us down this road in the first place. It's made matters worse in our perspective:(

£100 a month too much for a much loved pet?

Is it that you can't afford it? Once the insurance money stops, cancel the insurance. That'll be £20+ a month towards it. Could you start saving a little now while the insurance is paying?

Your limit is £2000 isn't it? I'm guessing its cost around £300 so far? That's 17 months worth left, so it could very well last him till the end - as long as it is a 'whole of life' policy, not one of these policies that only pay for a year.

Given the result - potentially 18 months extra - I'd be glad the vet pushed me down this route, not thinking things are worse:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mistygal, I would hate to be in your position. When you love an animal, they become part of the family & it must be gut-wrenching to have to make such a decision. :( I think you should ignore what your vet says, good or bad, & follow your instincts. Your vet didn't see your dog except for assessment or treatment, whereas you've had your dog 24 hours a day - you know what your dog used to be like & you know how his quality of life has changed.

When my border collie was declining, the vet recommended a course of treatment that could have given him longer, up to a year. Like you, the cost wasn't the issue as insurance would cover it for up to a year, but my Dad's concern was that the vet (a locum) seemed more concerned about the cash than our dog's quality of life. :( We went with it for a few months, & yes in that time he did seem to pick up. Looking back on it, I honestly believe that was because he was trying so hard to be back to his normal self. When he suddenly went downhill again, I think the effort of trying so hard to do as much as before had got too much for him.

By this time our regular vet had returned, & my Dad took our dog back to be reassessed. The vet told my Dad that there comes a time when you might be keeping an animal alive more because you don't want to be without them & less for the animal itself, & he didn't think it was advisable. Our dog was old, simple as that, & you could only pause the effects of old age not stop them altogether. Dad brought him back home, & when his supply of medication finished a couple of weeks later, he didn't give him any more. When the effects of the medication started to wear off, Dad took him to the vet & he was put to sleep. I wasn't living at home at the time & I cried for days when I heard, but I didn't disagree with their decision. It's what's right for the animal that matters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    £100 a month too much for a much loved pet?

Is it that you can't afford it? Once the insurance money stops, cancel the insurance. That'll be £20+ a month towards it. Could you start saving a little now while the insurance is paying?

Your limit is £2000 isn't it? I'm guessing its cost around £300 so far? That's 17 months worth left, so it could very well last him till the end - as long as it is a 'whole of life' policy, not one of these policies that only pay for a year.

Given the result - potentially 18 months extra - I'd be glad the vet pushed me down this route, not thinking things are worse:confused:

For your information it is a yearly policy. I was lucky to find an Insurer to take a WH on over the age of 5 years!! Yes I have given a rescue dog a very loved home for the last 4 years.
    Mortgage and 2 children.
    Yes it is around £300 now, don't forget to add on every return trip of consultation to check his medicine is still working and if he starts to need to slow his heart rate. I do have to weigh this all up you know Plus the insurance will probably refuse to renew his cover when the times up later this year.
    Maybe I'm thinking too far ahead. If we were not going away I would be more relaxed about it, but I do have to consider how he will cope in kennels also.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mistygal, I would hate to be in your position. When you love an animal, they become part of the family & it must be gut-wrenching to have to make such a decision. :( I think you should ignore what your vet says, good or bad, & follow your instincts. Your vet didn't see your dog except for assessment or treatment, whereas you've had your dog 24 hours a day - you know what your dog used to be like & you know how his quality of life has changed.

When my border collie was declining, the vet recommended a course of treatment that could have given him longer, up to a year. Like you, the cost wasn't the issue as insurance would cover it for up to a year, but my Dad's concern was that the vet (a locum) seemed more concerned about the cash than our dog's quality of life. :( We went with it for a few months, & yes in that time he did seem to pick up. Looking back on it, I honestly believe that was because he was trying so hard to be back to his normal self. When he suddenly went downhill again, I think the effort of trying so hard to do as much as before had got too much for him.

By this time our regular vet had returned, & my Dad took our dog back to be reassessed. The vet told my Dad that there comes a time when you might be keeping an animal alive more because you don't want to be without them & less for the animal itself, & he didn't think it was advisable. Our dog was old, simple as that, & you could only pause the effects of old age not stop them altogether. Dad brought him back home, & when his supply of medication finished a couple of weeks later, he didn't give him any more. When the effects of the medication started to wear off, Dad took him to the vet & he was put to sleep. I wasn't living at home at the time & I cried for days when I heard, but I didn't disagree with their decision. It's what's right for the animal that matters.

Awww I really connected with you in your story there. Truth is I used to have him insured Gold cover up to £5000. I lowered it because I said I'd never put a sick dog on drugs and just keep them ticking along. at the time I was more talking about Bone Cancer (biggest killer in WH). Now I do wish I'd left it like that, I'd have no worry.
    I suppose I owe it to him now to give him a go. He will have to take his chances in kennels. If things get too complicated, I will immediately make that decision, which I was well prepared for Thursday last week.
  • Options
    cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same decision to make last year.

My dog detiorated within a week. We could have kept him going for a bit but his quality of life was zero.

I took some film of him as a memento but I wish I had taken some film in happier times.

It was a heartbreaking time but there was no other choice, sadly......

Regarding vets, in my experience they''ll try to milk the situation. We asked him a few questions which took a few minutes and he charged us £18 for the privilege......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to thank you all for your support in my thread. Sadly I had him put to sleep today. Though the medication worked, his bowels were not.
    I just wanted to update you.

And pay homage
    'I love you Peanut forever'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so sorry mistygal xxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    so sorry mistygal xxx

Thanks SG xxx It hurts but I know deep down it was the best decision.
  • Options
    JuliamidlandsJuliamidlands Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw Misty I'm so sorry :(

I can relate to what you're going through now as in recent years I've lost my dog, and two horses. I hope this doesnt sound too patronising but time really is a healer.. thinking of you xxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks SG xxx It hurts but I know deep down it was the best decision.

i dread losing my cat oscar he has not been a well boy since he sas a kitten due to untreated cat flu he is now 3and a half and he gets by with a lot of tlc