Options

World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion XXV (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    gerry d wrote: »
    I remember reading a while back that Drew was meant to be getting some new gimmick in which he was some sort of playboy.I think they may have tried the gimmick out at a house show.I can't remember if the gimmick was used on tv?.

They should give him the gimmick of a released wrestler whose visa to stay in the country has run out. ;)
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    They should give him the gimmick of a released wrestler whose visa to stay in the country has run out. ;)

Didn't they give him a losing streak gimmick or am I thinking about Jack Jobber?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Austin is very important to the history of WWE but it wasn't just him that turned the company around.

Bret Hart heel turn and the Hart Foundation, HBK heel turn and then DX, Vince heel turn, Screw job and mike tyson( yes Iron mike)

Hogan came first then Austin then the Rock then Cena....the question is Who's next???? (no not goldberg)

Absolutely. They were all crucial moments in WWE history, but I just place Austin on a pedestal above that. Everything you mentioned helped massively, but I don't see how WWF could have beaten WCW without Austin. It was a company effort and the entire roster was fantastic, storylines were exceptional (with some notable flops) and everything seemed to click, but Austin was the star attraction.

This is the thing about Hogan, Austin etc. You can't get a proper comparison of their value, it's all opinion. The popularity of wrestling and the competition both within the WWF and from WCW was completely different from Hogan to Austin and now with Cena. How much of WWF beating WCW was to do with Austin and how much was to do with the implosion of WCW? I'd put it more on Austin as WCW wouldn't have imploded without the pressure created from the attitude era.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Just watched Smackdown, was that guest commentator thing a good idea. I mean you had people like Kaitlyn mentioning her victory in the battle royale last night while Cole keeps saying 'Welcome back to Friday Night Smackdown'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. They were all crucial moments in WWE history, but I just place Austin on a pedestal above that. Everything you mentioned helped massively, but I don't see how WWF could have beaten WCW without Austin. It was a company effort and the entire roster was fantastic, storylines were exceptional (with some notable flops) and everything seemed to click, but Austin was the star attraction.

This is the thing about Hogan, Austin etc. You can't get a proper comparison of their value, it's all opinion. The popularity of wrestling and the competition both within the WWF and from WCW was completely different from Hogan to Austin and now with Cena. How much of WWF beating WCW was to do with Austin and how much was to do with the implosion of WCW? I'd put it more on Austin as WCW wouldn't have imploded without the pressure created from the attitude era.

As much as I love the stone cold character around this time it fails in comparrison to Hogan ruling the roost since 1984.

I often wonder how WWE would of been had Hogan not jumped ship from the AWA.
  • Options
    OnDatKryptoniteOnDatKryptonite Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mattific wrote: »
    Just watched Smackdown, was that guest commentator thing a good idea. I mean you had people like Kaitlyn mentioning her victory in the battle royale last night while Cole keeps saying 'Welcome back to Friday Night Smackdown'.

I don't think the majority of Divas are being paid for their brains rather than their looks. Half of their twitter accounts are about as coherent as a town drunk. Although chances are someone in the production truck will get an ear bashing from Kevin Dunn rather than any reprimand for Kaitlyn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant wait for Raw I want to see who Slater jobs to next. Pity all the Nexus guys dont get this treatment.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm surprised they didn't edit that part out.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smackdown wasn't bad but still a million miles better than raw IMO.
    you get to see WRESTLING instead of constant promo's all the time,it seems a better paced show for me.

the guest commentators were pretty good,should make it a regular thing.

the santino & his cobra should go in a match with R-truth & little jimmy..that would be awesome:D
  • Options
    Anvil1984Anvil1984 Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    smackdown wasn't bad but still a million miles better than raw IMO.
    you get to see WRESTLING instead of constant promo's all the time,it seems a better paced show for me.

the guest commentators were pretty good,should make it a regular thing.

the santino & his cobra should go in a match with R-truth & little jimmy..that would be awesome:D

Hmm I'm sure they'll be a match soon where lil Jimmy will get Truth disqualified for outside interference or ejected from ringside is that pushing it too far?
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Didn't they give him a losing streak gimmick or am I thinking about Jack Jobber?

I'm saying they should release him.. *WHOOSH!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know why WWE have done so few TV tapings at MSG in recent years?

Last MSG Raw was way back in November 2009.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Everybody knows Smackdown is taped on a Tuesday. Someone more often than not says 'last night on Raw'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Madison Square Garden is going under a lot of renovations at the moment. I read WWE wanted the Sunday's SummerSlam to be held there but couldn't because of the works.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member

I think there having work done to MSG, i'm sure vince has a deal with MSG that requires 1 show every 2-3 years (house show or live tv) but again work has meant this is not possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WWEDVDNews confirms that WWE’s DVD and Blu-ray set on The Attitude Era will have a Best Buy exclusive edition. The set will hit stores on November 20th.

Looking forward to this. Hopefully none of it is blurred after WWE's recent deal with the Wildlife Fund.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Madison Square Garden is going under a lot of renovations at the moment. I read WWE wanted the Sunday's SummerSlam to be held there but couldn't because of the works.

The 25th anniversary was seriously lacking something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever WWE do hold their next TV taping or PPV at MSG, hopefully they won't bother with a large set and just use the traditional MSG entrance.
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. Hopefully none of it is blurred after WWE's recent deal with the Wildlife Fund.

I think I'll give it a miss. I doubt there will be anything on it that I don't have already on tagged classics or the various best of Raw compilations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever WWE do hold their next TV taping or PPV at MSG, hopefully they won't bother with a large set and just use the traditional MSG entrance.

As far as I know that entrance no longer exists due to the refurbishment.
  • Options
    OminousGloryOminousGlory Posts: 5,019
    Forum Member
    Looks like we could be seeing a tag team gauntlet match at Night of Champions judging by Smackdown.

Usos vs. PTP vs. Truth and Kofi vs. Epico and Primo vs. Gabriel and Kidd. Could be very interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking of MSG, over the years there have been many MSG house show matches on Vintage Collection. Did any of these air on TV and if not why bother adding commentary?
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Has Orton ever tapped out clean as a face? Been racking my brains all day and can't think of it happening. Maybe in his very early days pre-Evolution. I know he's tapped out a few times as a heel, couple of times to Cena I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of MSG, over the years there have been many MSG house show matches on Vintage Collection. Did any of these air on TV and if not why bother adding commentary?

In the eighties they showed house shows on the MSG network, complete with commentary and interviews in intermission.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alicia Fox and Layla had a great match on Smackdown. For two 'model' divas they are both constantly improving. Shame WWE are content on just having a divas match involving Kelly Kelly on Raw.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know how Paige is doing on NXT?
This discussion has been closed.