Sub-£200 tablet

2»

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Stilian wrote: »
    There are already plenty of cheap Asian Android tablets but most of them aren't any good. There is UK company that imports quality mobile devices from China called Gemini devices. They have some very good and yet affordable tablets.
    I would recommend the Gemini JoyTAB 9.7 REV2 tablet http://sveyo.com/2012/10/gemini-joytab-9-7-rev2-android-tablet-specs-review/ which is a great value for money.
    Another very good affordable tablet is the Sumvision Cyclone Titan which has even higher specs than the Gemini and costs around £150.

I have to point out that, according to direct customer reviews, very many customers have had significant problems with very low cost tablets such as Joy Tab and Go Tab. There does appear to be an issue with consistent quality control and I certainly would not recommend any budget or unknown brands.

It is better to compromise on screen size and go for a high end or mid range tablet rather than go for a budget tablet. Broad rule of thumb - if it's below £100, it's much more likely to turn out to be rubbish.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stilian wrote: »
    Another very good affordable tablet is the Sumvision Cyclone Titan which has even higher specs than the Gemini and costs around £150.
    Seems to be a low resolution 4/3 variant of their Cyclone Voyager IPS bluetooth 16/10 10" tablet, also well below £150.

Buy UK and you cut the risk. The BT edition is quite recent as is the price cut.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After spending some time in a local PC World store, I've decided that a 7" tablet would be too small to watch a film/TV programme between two people.

I think I might go for a refurbished Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 from Argos' ebay store. Couple of reasons being that Samsung will offer good support and it also uses Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, rather than 4.1 Jellybean. I'm after the Flash functionality for various browser-based games or websites. For £200 it comes with a 1 year warranty, has decent battery life and a good screen size.
  • TonyOtherTonyOther Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Daedroth wrote: »
    I'm in a pickle. I don't know what tablet to go for as I'm now looking to get one, with a budget of £200. I like iOS, but I think even £320 for a refurbished iPad is a bit steep and out of my budget. So that's limiting me to Android based tablets, which I'm still not sure about.

Is a 7" screen too small to use in bed watching a TV programme on or Skyping? I'd like good battery life too.

How secure is Android? I'll want to get apps, but heard so many horror stories I'm not sure I want to link my bank details to it.

I've been looking at the following:

1) Google Nexus 7 - 7" screen yet had really good reviews and only £150.

2) Archos 9.8" Titanium - Not too sure about software/Android support and updates, build or screen quality and battery life.

Help? :(

The Google might seem a little small at 7in, but believe me it's not at all and ideal for watching TV in bed without disturbing anyone. As for Android, as far as I'm concerned it's just as good as IoS.

But I really wouldn't go for the cheaper brands. As always cheap = cheap. Stick to the names or Google Nexus
  • TrevTrev Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been looking at this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PIPO-S3-Screen-1-6GHz-Android/dp/B00AXHDA2K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_43

Ticks all the right boxes for me with having hdmi and usb on it
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Trev wrote: »
    I've just been looking at this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PIPO-S3-Screen-1-6GHz-Android/dp/B00AXHDA2K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_43

Ticks all the right boxes for me with having hdmi and usb on it

Sub £100 tablets are below £100 for a reason and quality control is variable so you do run a significant risk of getting a turkey. Look at the reviews here including the 3, 2 and 1 star reviews and this is what can happen with sub £100 tablets: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1800940
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got 7" and 10" android tablets, both cheap as chips. The 10" Flytouch Superpad 8 runs Android 4 point something, flash installs, no problem with youtube, iplayer, tvcatchup, netflix, Google Chrome, Firefox, two full size USB ports so I can plug in a 32gb stick (mine came with 32gb memory anyway). Resistive screen but sensitive enough, great display and HDMI port. Battery lasts long enough for two or three films between charges.

03:20 and I'm in bed typing this on it so not bad for £100 or less.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Samsung will offer good support and it also uses Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, rather than 4.1 Jellybean. I'm after the Flash functionality for various browser-based games or websites.

My Tab2 10.1 with Jellybean4.1 runs flash sideloaded just fine, although initially I wanted to play browser based games but due to a lack of a physical keyboard most are un playable, and a lot run very slowly due to the Samsungs low spec.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got an Arnova 10b G3 in HMV today for £64.99 .. probably on a whim because of the price I suppose, not even sure i want to keep it .. doh :)
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought an Archos 80 Titanium yesterday (£129) its running Android 4.1 and a firmware update was available as soon as an internet connection was made. The version of Android it runs is stock and is lag free and with no customisations by Archos. Build quality is brilliant, aluminium backed so it feels very rigid, no flex and no creaks, the screen is also very good indeed, it isn't retina quality but it is the same resolution as the iPad Mini (1024 x 768), the viewing angles are really good and i actually prefer the image quality on the Archos to that on my Nexus 4. The stock browser also installed flash player on its first launch which was a nice touch.

I went in for a Nexus 7 to compliment my Nexus 4 but i was that impressed with the Archos for £70 less there wasnt any thinking to be done ill be honest, at £129 it was a no brainer.

Only negatives are, it is quite slippy thanks to the aluminium back and the plastic screen doesn't feel quite as good as glass although it does respond to flicks just as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    Only negatives are, it is quite slippy thanks to the aluminium back and the plastic screen doesn't feel quite as good as glass although it does respond to flicks just as well.
    No GPS and a weaker battery no doubt.

HDMI + a card slot though.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Sorry for hijacking this thread but what does sideloading flash for example or sideloading anything actually involve?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A silly code word meaning you simply download and install the software yourself rather than going to an an app store.

Android install files have the appendix '.apk'
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    A silly code word meaning you simply download and install the software yourself rather than going to an an app store.

Android install files have the appendix '.apk'

Thanks for that ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    No GPS and a weaker battery no doubt.

HDMI + a card slot though.

I bought it with the lack of GPS and Bluetooth taken in to consideration. not much use for either of them in and around the house TBH.

As for the battery i don't know, it was at 85% out of the box and after 3 hours screen time pratting about it was showing 50% left. If it lasts 6 hours screen time ill be happy, i know that is 3 hours down on the Nexus but still its much better than some budget tablets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always gone along with Apple's original thought that for around the house the 10" size is more suitable.

A small budget size though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I and many other think 10 inches is pretty crap for a tablet size TBH, too big and too heavy, you might as well use a laptop and have it comfy on your legs.

that said this Archos 80 with its 4:3 8 inch screen is much more usable than my kids Samsung Galaxy Tab2 with a 7 inch 16:9 screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    that said this Archos 80 with its 4:3 8 inch screen is much more usable than my kids Samsung Galaxy Tab2 with a 7 inch 16:9 screen.
    Make your mind up.
    I'm not an actual user of tablets and I just can't conceive holding them up for more than 5 minutes at a time.

There's some sanity in the Archos range of tablets, what with their kick stands and pivoted keyboards.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I have an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7. To be honest, I use the Nexus 7 a lot more. It's handy, fits in my work case, good e-reader (Kindle app), and is fine for TV or movie watching. Sure it's not as big a screen as say the iPad or 10 inch devices but I think it works super.