In your opinion who are the best vocalists the show has ever had technically speaking

124»

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DwMhB123 wrote: »
    No disrespect, but I totally agree with Zack. You can personally prefer one voice or another, but you can't say one singer has better technique if it's not true. Technique isn't like tone; it's objective. Either you have good technique and ability or you don't as simple as that. Don't get mad at Zack if you're the one having trouble understanding the concept that vocal technique is not subjective, it's objective.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was trying to tell this poster at the time. Unfortunately, he didn't seem to get it. :)
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misha B.

She could rap without hesitation.

And her singing was truly breathtaking.
  • River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jahmene's voice was just out of control!
    I wanted to like it because he seems like such a lovely guy, but all that vocal gymnastics was just way way too much, the emotion of most songs got lost in off key runs.
  • CinnamonBrickCinnamonBrick Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    You can't have an opinion on fact. That's a contradiction. Nobody is saying you're not allowed to like or dislike certain acts. But if one singer is technically better then they are technically better regardless of whether you like them or not. This is about vocal ability.

Your "opinion" isn't fact either. Unless you have the statistical data to prove that? I feel Alexandra struggled very much with her lower register and it came off more husky than singing. It wasn't "technically" great. Also, her voice would occasionally break on a long note.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member
    Leona, Alexandra, Aston (JLS)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your "opinion" isn't fact either. Unless you have the statistical data to prove that? I feel Alexandra struggled very much with her lower register and it came off more husky than singing. It wasn't "technically" great. Also, her voice would occasionally break on a long note.

She's a contralto, and she doesn't struggle with her lower register at all. The husky tone is down to the fact that she's a contralto, much like Toni Braxton.

I've seen nearly every performance she has done since appearing on the X Factor, her belts are one of her strongest assets, see The Silence. Her only weak area is her head voice where she struggles at the top end, but having seen a large quantity of performances from her, I can say that she doesn't have issues with her lower register at all, if anything that's a strong point of hers.

Saying she is a technically excellent singer isn't my opinion, it's an observation based on real world evidence. I'm not a fan of Laura White at all, I dislike the sound of her voice, but I'm not going to deny that she is also technically adept. You can either hit a note, or you can't, opinion can do little to change that. :)
  • CinnamonBrickCinnamonBrick Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    She's a contralto, and she doesn't struggle with her lower register at all. The husky tone is down to the fact that she's a contralto, much like Toni Braxton.

I've seen nearly every performance she has done since appearing on the X Factor, her belts are one of her strongest assets, see The Silence. Her only weak area is her head voice where she struggles at the top end, but having seen a large quantity of performances from her, I can say that she doesn't have issues with her lower register at all, if anything that's a strong point of hers.

Saying she is a technically excellent singer isn't my opinion, it's an observation based on real world evidence. I'm not a fan of Laura White at all, I dislike the sound of her voice, but I'm not going to deny that she is also technically adept. You can either hit a note, or you can't, opinion can do little to change that. :)

I've seen Alexandra live, not in an outdoor setting, not at a festival, in an intimate setting. And although she has a deeper voice, she seemed better suited to hitting the power and higher notes. Potentially that is because the songs (her hits) aren't suited to her voice live, but it definitely had its croaky moments.

I am not musically adept, I use my ears and my common sense to what I feel sounds good and doesn't. Unless you have a Masters in music, I assume you're the same. Therefore, you use your opinion to make these judgements. Judging opinion as fact without the necessary data to back it up leads to ignorance I'm afraid.

I still don't deny Alexandra, as much as I dislike her tone, is a very capable singer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen Alexandra live, not in an outdoor setting, not at a festival, in an intimate setting. And although she has a deeper voice, she seemed better suited to hitting the power and higher notes. Potentially that is because the songs (her hits) aren't suited to her voice live, but it definitely had its croaky moments.

I am not musically adept, I use my ears and my common sense to what I feel sounds good and doesn't. Unless you have a Masters in music, I assume you're the same. Therefore, you use your opinion to make these judgements. Judging opinion as fact without the necessary data to back it up leads to ignorance I'm afraid.

I still don't deny Alexandra, as much as I dislike her tone, is a very capable singer.

I've also seen her live, but I may agree that it may be because her songs are pop songs which don't particularly play to her strengths.

I can play 2 instruments and have worked in studios in the past, particularly with vocals, so I'm just using my knowledge from that, I never called myself an expert. But it's fairly easy to see when someone is technically good and when they aren't. Alex's only issues for me are with her head voice, particularly at the upper end where she can sometimes sound strained.

Trust me, if I were basing these statements on my opinion, the conversation would be very different. I'm not denying any strengths or weaknesses she has because I don't think opinion factors into that but rather observation based on what she has actually achieved with her voice. :)
  • Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    clara_s wrote: »
    No mentions for Shayne Ward? His OTR was out of this world.

Absolutely.

And apart from that, every performance he gave was a good one - I've never heard him go off key and his range is phenomenal.

Imo, he has the sweetest, purest, clearest voice of the lot. Which doesn't mean I don't rate any of the others because I do. But Shayne's voice is superb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shayne ,Leona and Matt.
  • TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Female - Leona Lewis

Male - Rhydian
  • rachymacrachymac Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit that technically Leona is fantastic, though I'm not a fan. Same with Alexandra.

For me, the best vocalists are Joe McElderry, Ben Mills and Rhydian Roberts.

Also, one who I think was a great singer (OK, not the best ever, but she deserves a mention) but went far too early (week 1!) was Roberta from series 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCcWRgA_2QQ
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Treyc Cohen, Leona Lewis, Misha B, Jahmene Douglas and Ella Henderson (sort of!)