Doctor Who: Greatest Monsters & Villains

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madame de Pompadour was a courtesan and procuress.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A prize prat doing a link between 10 random episodes.
    Cheap and pointless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Versailles was a sumptuous palace with insufficient toilets to service the nobility who had to toady there to the king, and hence they used the corridors instead.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    The Pompadour episode is complete tripe.

Not very insightful...

I find this episode to be fascinating, with superb use of time travel, and an extremely moving performance from DT. The original transmission of this had me in tears at the end. In my opinion, it's one of the best DT episodes.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did wonder what the content of these shows would be when I saw them on my epg so I had set my freeview recorder to record tonight only to find out they are just random repeats of episodes I already have on dvd. Already deleted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ridiculous thing was to choose Madame de Pompadour as the subject. Someone else, almost any other figure from history, would have worked much better.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    Not very insightful...

I find this episode to be fascinating, with superb use of time travel, and an extremely moving performance from DT. The original transmission of this had me in tears at the end. In my opinion, it's one of the best DT episodes.

I agree with you, I would put it in my top three Tennant stories with Blink and Human Nature/The Family of Blood. It's also the only episode of Series 2 I enjoyed when rewatching it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ridiculous thing was to choose Madame de Pompadour as the subject. Someone else, almost any other figure from history, would have worked much better.

I'm intrigued - why?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was a courtesan who served the King of France, and when she was past it, procured for him. To sentimentalise her is ridiculous. Versailles, though a splendid palace, was full of toadying aristocrats, whose descendants were later executed during the French Revolution. De Pompadour's time at the palace coincided with a period of decadence and corruption in France. She cannot be considered any type of heroine.
  • HissyMissyHissyMissy Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    This was a great big con. I don't get the Radio Times, so thought that this was a countdown programme like you get with CH4 and CH5. I didn't think that it was just another way to show old episodes, and only that of the last 8 years. What barefaced gall. I shall just watch my DVD's instead. And who is Joel Dommett anyway?
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was a courtesan who served the King of France, and when she was past it, procured for him. To sentimentalise her is ridiculous. Versailles, though a splendid palace, was full of toadying aristocrats, whose descendants were later executed during the French Revolution. De Pompadour's time at the palace coincided with a period of decadence and corruption in France. She cannot be considered any type of heroine.

Firstly, where was she seen as the heroine? The Doctor's the hero throughout the episode. Mdme Pompadour was a plot device to show how time travel even affects the Doctor, and how although these things hurt, he still tries. But most of all she was also there to enhance Rose, to show the Doctor that Rose is constant.

Secondly, go back to pre-revolutionary France, or post-, or ANYWHERE EVER, and shout (at the women) from your white high horse that people (or in your view, only women) who do things to secure wealth, power or protection for their children and themselves are not heroines.
  • Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Just noticed this on Doctorwhotv.co.uk looks more interesting maybe.

Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide

18 November at 8pm on BBC3

Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman celebrate the 50th anniversary of the space-travelling Time Lord and take an in-depth look at of one of the most intriguing fictional characters of all time.

With the 50th anniversary episode, The Day of the Doctor, about to hit our screens there’s a look at all 11 incarnations of the Doctor and their most famous scenes and storylines, an exploration of the many sides to the Doctor and asking what is he really like. Plus, a look at The Doctor’s many travelling companions and adversaries over the years and how they all contribute to creating the longest running sci-fi show of all time.

Featuring David Tennant, Paul McGann, Sylvester McCoy, Noel Clarke, Rick Edwards, Konnie Huq, McFly, Joel Dommett and many more, it’s the best preparation possible for the 50th anniversary episode
    Forum Member
    MInd you also just noticed the list of contributors, only the first four worth listening too I reckon, who is Rick Edwards?
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »
    MInd you also just noticed the list of contributors, only the first four worth listening too I reckon, who is Rick Edwards?

This guy I presume.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Cheap and pointless.

That just about sums it up. I recorded them all expecting a proper programme about each monster but ended up forwarding through the annoying gimp's 5 minutes of inane immature drivel and then deleting the nu-who episode without watching it.

So basically there's no chance of the Zygons appearing then, and the Judoon and Ood are supposedly better than them :confused:
    Forum Member
    Ah righto, ta, can't say I've ever tuned into E4.
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheap and pointless.
    Indeed - who is this idiot and what relevance does he have to all things Who?

OK, just found him on imdb. Seems he's a comedian. Has been in Casualty. Looks like they did too good a job in saving him.

Don't think I'll bother recording the other two epidoes if this is how it's going to go. Where and why did they dredge him up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never saw her as a heroine anyway, and you have to consider what she was doing / what she did in the context of the times. There has always been corruption and decadence in any society, from the ancient Greeks onwards. And there have always been strong, self motivated women in those societies. Regardless of your personal opinion of MdP, and you make your personal feelings very clear, it cannot be denied that she was a very strong character in a time of great change. This makes her fascinating, and, in my opinion, worthy of further investigation. I knew little of MdP before - afterwards I read up about her. Which kind of fulfills Sydney Newman's original remit for Doctor Who!
    Plus, the story was a cracking 45 minutes of drama.

edit - just read gingerfreak's response, who says many of the same things that I've just said! :o... In future,I must read the rest of the thread before replying...:o
  • cuttlefishspikecuttlefishspike Posts: 5,761
    Forum Member
    I lasted 15 minutes into the 1st ep - really disappointing. Deleting the others from the epg. Lazy programming.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    I've deleted my series link from the planner.

BBC's Iplayer has already revealed the remaining monsters in photos anyway - Cybermen, Daleks, the Master, Ice Warriors (hmm, I wonder which episode they'll show for that!), the Silence, and Weeping Angels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    I never saw her as a heroine anyway, and you have to consider what she was doing / what she did in the context of the times. There has always been corruption and decadence in any society, from the ancient Greeks onwards. And there have always been strong, self motivated women in those societies. Regardless of your personal opinion of MdP, and you make your personal feelings very clear, it cannot be denied that she was a very strong character in a time of great change. This makes her fascinating, and, in my opinion, worthy of further investigation. I knew little of MdP before - afterwards I read up about her. Which kind of fulfills Sydney Newman's original remit for Doctor Who!
    Plus, the story was a cracking 45 minutes of drama.

edit - just read gingerfreak's response, who says many of the same things that I've just said! :o... In future,I must read the rest of the thread before replying...:o

The Doctor mentioned that she was a courtesan once in the whole episode and glossed over it, calling her the King's "lover". He also emphasized other things she did, such as being a "gardener". The whole premise of the episode did not work for me because of who she was. The French film, Ridicule, shows just how decadent French society was at that time, leading to the Revolution.
  • saturns ringssaturns rings Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    alphonsus wrote: »
    OK, just found him on imdb. Seems he's a comedian

You are kidding - a comedian!! No way
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Doctor mentioned that she was a courtesan once in the whole episode and glossed over it, calling her the King's "lover". He also emphasized other things she did, such as being a "gardener". The whole premise of the episode did not work for me because of who she was. The French film, Ridicule, shows just how decadent French society was at that time, leading to the Revolution.

What did you want the Doctor to say, bearing in mind the time of broadcast, lots of kids watching, etc etc?
    I think we all know societies can, will be and have been pretty decadent in many ways, why pick on this one? I'm not sure ours would stand up to too much scrutiny either then or now, but that goes for just about everywhere. Just watch it as a time travel episode with the background of a well-documented time and place in history, why worry about anything else?:confused:
    Forum Member
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    I've deleted my series link from the planner.

BBC's Iplayer has already revealed the remaining monsters in photos anyway - Cybermen, Daleks, the Master, Ice Warriors (hmm, I wonder which episode they'll show for that!), the Silence, and Weeping Angels.

D'oh, now you've gone and spoiled the surprise:mad:

Not really, just kidding, this could have been so much better, say an old companion introducing each monster and giving some history and background with clips showing how they have progressed etc.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »
    Just noticed this on Doctorwhotv.co.uk looks more interesting maybe.

Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide

18 November at 8pm on BBC3

Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman celebrate the 50th anniversary of the space-travelling Time Lord and take an in-depth look at of one of the most intriguing fictional characters of all time.

With the 50th anniversary episode, The Day of the Doctor, about to hit our screens there’s a look at all 11 incarnations of the Doctor and their most famous scenes and storylines, an exploration of the many sides to the Doctor and asking what is he really like. Plus, a look at The Doctor’s many travelling companions and adversaries over the years and how they all contribute to creating the longest running sci-fi show of all time.

Featuring David Tennant, Paul McGann, Sylvester McCoy, Noel Clarke, Rick Edwards, Konnie Huq, McFly, Joel Dommett and many more, it’s the best preparation possible for the 50th anniversary episode

This sounds more like it, thanks for that! I'll put a note in my diary! It must be better than the lazy drivel they are showing this weekend anyway! :)