Apple's iPod: is the end nigh?

Comments

• ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a 160 GB ipod too, with a lot of my albums on and still more to put on. I also have an ipod Nano for taking around with me. Although I've a memory card with music on in my phone I don't like using that too much in case it runs the battery down.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my iPod. I've only had to buy two since 2006 and they've been invaluable. I can't see myself having enough cash to own a phone with enough space for my liking compared to how much you get for your money with an iPod. I'll be devastated to see them go but I'll own one for as long as possible...I'll even buy second hand if needed, one day. I'm not big on "Apps" so if they stopped making them for the iPod it wouldn't bother me too much.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    I have just over 300gb of music (well, music, audiobooks and podcasts) and I (along with my wife and kids) can access any and all of it on a phone via Subsonic.

No having to plug the device in, no syncing, no iTunes crap. Thinking you have to carry your collection round with you is becoming an old way of thinking now.

So when I haven't got an internet connection how do I listen to it?
    Forum Member
    I have just over 300gb of music (well, music, audiobooks and podcasts) and I (along with my wife and kids) can access any and all of it on a phone via Subsonic.

No having to plug the device in, no syncing, no iTunes crap. Thinking you have to carry your collection round with you is becoming an old way of thinking now.

What about when I'm somewhere without an internet connection?
    Forum Member
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    If, or indeed when, the time comes that apple reassigns the production facility to make something new and stop making the iPod then there will be no new ones made. Then the shops will only have supply of the ones they have in stock. Eventually all of those will get sold. Then there will be none left in the shops. Then all we will have is second hand/refurbed on eBay or people who bought up new ones before they ran out to sell them at hugely inflated prices when the retail chain dried up.

It could be a fictional scenario, but one that I will keep half an eye out for. There is also a chance that skynet could go sentient before apple stops producing iPods, and then we'll all have more important things to worry about.

You are talking years yet.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I just took a look at Google Music Cloud.... they wanted my card details! :O no way! I think I'll stick with my iPod and Soundcloud app on my Xperia thank you very much!
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are talking years yet.

Of course.

It's much more likely I'll suddenly get bored of my black one and order a silver one in a whiskey-fuelled internet shopping spree.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    What about when I'm somewhere without an internet connection?

Spending money on a device just in case there was no internet connection sounds like a waste of money. As I said earlier, this is the age we're living in now and what technology is geared towards.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,041
    Forum Member
    Spending money on a device just in case there was no internet connection sounds like a waste of money. As I said earlier, this is the age we're living in now and what technology is geared towards.

Conversely, spending money on a device which can be used whether or not there is an internet connection makes sense.

Some of us like (apparent) control and access to our data when we want ;)

[Yes, i know everything is migrating to cloud based storage - doesn't mean I can't avoid it for as long as I can]
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I bought the 160Gb classic because there was nothing else on the market with the same capacity. I use MediaMonkey to manage it, so no need for iChoonz. Bit pissed off because the docking connector developed a fault after only about 18 months, and the battery seems to be on its way out.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Streaming's also a bit cock if you're on, say, the Tube. Which I imagine is where an awful lot of people listen to an awful lot of music every day.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but it doesn't suit everybody. I'll continue to use my 2 ipods because they are better suited for when I want to listen to music.
    Forum Member

'Just incase'. So I can forget listening to any music on the tube, or intermittent service on trains and buses and any time i'm in the car. Great.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Just incase'. So I can forget listening to any music on the tube, or intermittent service on trains and buses and any time i'm in the car. Great.

You can download music to your device.
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    You can download music to your device.

160GB worth?
    Forum Member
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Conversely, spending money on a device which can be used whether or not there is an internet connection makes sense.

Some of us like (apparent) control and access to our data when we want ;)

[Yes, i know everything is migrating to cloud based storage - doesn't mean I can't avoid it for as long as I can]
    I suppose if you lived in a black spot it would make sense but in reality your phone could do exactly the same with less hassle and £100+ cheaper.
    Forum Member
    I suppose if you lived in a black spot it would make sense but in reality your phone could do exactly the same with less hassle and £100+ cheaper.

Do you call the London Underground a 'black spot'.

If I want 160gb of music available to me at all times, not just most times, then an Ipod is the only solution.
    Forum Member

Where do you live, the 1990s? I stream to my phone whenever and wherever I am, including driving practically all day.
    Forum Member
    Where do you live, the 1990s? I stream to my phone whenever and wherever I am

Which bit of 'London Underground' don't you understand?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    I just took a look at Google Music Cloud.... they wanted my card details! :O no way! I think I'll stick with my iPod and Soundcloud app on my Xperia thank you very much!

Google Music only need card details if buy music through them (just like iTunes do) or for subscription based services but it is free to store and stream your own music.

Or, if you buy a lot of CDs through Amazon take a look at their cloud player as you'll have instant access to every track you have bought through them - even if it was a gift for someone else and bought 10 years ago.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

what phone are you buying that's £99
    Forum Member
    Which bit of 'London Underground' don't you understand?

You also mentioned trains, buses and driving in your car. I didn't realise anywhere in the country had such bad coverage.

As for going on the undergoing. I'd just start streaming before I got on, by the time I'm out of coverage it would be cached.
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    what phone are you buying that's £99
    Are you saying people buy iPods instead of phones?
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    160GB worth?

Why do you need 160GBs of music on your phone at one time unless you're some sort of hoarder. Are you going to listen to it all on your commute to work?
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    Why do you need 160GBs of music on your phone at one time unless you're some sort of hoarder. Are you going to listen to it all on your commute to work?

I like to choose what I listen to, so I have my whole music collection on there. If I want to listen to a particular track I want it there to listen to. That's not that hard to understand surely?