Best live female performer

13»

Comments

• MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's not, but if you're debating on who is an all rounder/performer, then surely someone who mimes should be ruled out straight away. The fact that people like Beyonce and Pink can sing, dance and perform live for the duartion of their concert should surely mean that they are higher up the list than someone like Madonna. Some people come out with the ridiculous argument of "Oh she's a performer, an entertainer, she doesn't need to sing live" (regularly used by people trying to excuse Britney)! What an awful excuse! If you're making music then you should be able to do it live and if you can't, don't include it in the setlist of your tour and stand there like an idiot miming it.

Hear hear, couldn't have said it better myself. Find it insane how people can excuse miming or being a terrible singer when it's their job!

For me, the top 3 would be Beyoncé, Gaga and Pink - for me they're the most entertaining and the best at what they do out of the current bunch.

Katy Perry? You've got to be joking me. She's a nice girl, harmless with a good sense of humour who writes inoffensive good songs - but she's a terrible singer and her live showings are horrendous and embarrassing for a person of her fame and so called acclaim. Rihanna has at least improved but just can't be arsed most of the time, which I find very strange seeing as she's being paid millions for what she does.

When there are people like Beyoncé, pink and Gaga who can sing brilliantly and do so whilst entertaining the crowd and pulling off dance routines, there's no excuse for the rest. Not saying everybody should do full on choreography but the bar had been set and some people just don't measure up.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    No it's not, but if you're debating on who is an all rounder/performer, then surely someone who mimes should be ruled out straight away. The fact that people like Beyonce and Pink can sing, dance and perform live for the duartion of their concert should surely mean that they are higher up the list than someone like Madonna. Some people come out with the ridiculous argument of "Oh she's a performer, an entertainer, she doesn't need to sing live" (regularly used by people trying to excuse Britney)! What an awful excuse! If you're making music then you should be able to do it live and if you can't, don't include it in the setlist of your tour and stand there like an idiot miming it.

Agreed! anyone can see on youtube Britneys Vegas show is just a mimefest, its Cringe!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    I went to see Rihanna on her Loud Tour, and I liked it, but she's getting quite lazy with those long notes and the belting. Nowadays, she always lets the audience do those parts, it's annoying. When I go to a concert, I come to hear the performing artist/band sing and perform, not the crowd.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RayofLight wrote: »
    In terms of theatrics yes, but musically it's her last tour to feature the real live band sound :)

Miming three or four songs is hardly a crime!

No, but then how can you be taken seriously as a live performer, if you can't do it live all the way through then why bother, apart from taking money from the fans, who will just defend it anyway. In my mind it is something you can't defend, the only exception is if it is for a tv show and there isn't the time, but as for a tour then no.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    I've only seen Beyonce and Gaga, and Beyonce was better, although both good.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Kelly Clarkson was much better live than both of the above though, but obviously shes not an option
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    No, but then how can you be taken seriously as a live performer, if you can't do it live all the way through then why bother, apart from taking money from the fans, who will just defend it anyway. In my mind it is something you can't defend, the only exception is if it is for a tv show and there isn't the time, but as for a tour then no.

Madonna qualifies for this thread because she is a live performer (which is in the title of this thread) even if she mimes the whole show because even though she may not be singing live, she is still performing live, dancing live, appearing live and at this she excels!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna qualifies for this thread because she is a live performer (which is in the title of this thread) even if she mimes the whole show because even though she may not be singing live, she is still performing live, dancing live, appearing live and at this she excels!

If you want to make excuses for her...fair enough, many fans try to justify there favourite artist for not singing live, but really it's just a poor showing from that performer, and that doesn't just apply to Madonna either.

And no she doesn't qualify for this thread because her name wasn't on the poll.
    Forum Member
    If you want to make excuses for her...fair enough, many fans try to justify there favourite artist for not singing live, but really it's just a poor showing from that performer, and that doesn't just apply to Madonna either.

And no she doesn't qualify for this thread because her name wasn't on the poll.

She qualifies for this thread because she is, singing or otherwise, a female performer.

I don't follow any of those in the poll so I can't really judge them so i'm nominating Madonna, live singing or otherwise!

I know it seems like i'm excusing her but i'm really not, I'm just stating that the thread title says 'performer' which can be anything, singing,dancing or otherwise. I can see where you're coming from though, Madonna should be singing live but doesn't always, but she does always dance/perform/appear live, in person, so she still qualifies as a live performer in my book.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I saw Gaga at V Festival in 2009 at Weston Park.

It was right after Paparazzi and just before Bad Romance, she was the hottest thing in the industry and I was so excited. The performance however, was all a bit messy. She came on late and people were booing, her dancing etc seemed a bit stiff and as a performer she wasn't that great. Plus her show had to be cut short because she was late, so we didn't get to see all of Pokerface (just the slow bit that she did on American Idol in 2009) I actually saw Alesha Dixon that same weekend and would go as far to say she was A LOT better than Gaga, in terms of professionalism and the tightness of her show, plus her dancing etc and I really didn't expect to say that.

My friends who were at Chelmsford said she was better though and actually got to properly finish her set.

I'm a fan of Gaga, I love her music, videos etc but as a performer and on my first hand experience, I don't rate her that much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She qualifies for this thread because she is, singing or otherwise, a female performer.

I don't follow any of those in the poll so I can't really judge them so i'm nominating Madonna, live singing or otherwise!

I know it seems like i'm excusing her but i'm really not, I'm just stating that the thread title says 'performer' which can be anything, singing,dancing or otherwise. I can see where you're coming from though, Madonna should be singing live but doesn't always, but she does always dance/perform/appear live, in person, so she still qualifies as a live performer in my book.

I am surprised her name isn't on the poll though...strange really. For Blonde Ambition alone I don't think any of the others mentioned, could even dream of touching that for a show, the only other show I've seen of hers was the Girlie Show, and the less said about that show the better.
  • RayofLightRayofLight Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah but she's never mimed a full show anyway, her most mimed show was Confessions where on some shows late in the tour she mimed a third of the set (most shows she did it mostly live)... S&S had 1 song mimed and 2 mimed verses... MDNA was a mish-mash but mostly live after GMAYL.

If I can convince any of you she should be number one it's with these RAW LIVE videos...

Lucky Star 1987 (Better played louder or best with headphones)
    Nothing Fails (Beautiful vocal, I have a few AMAZING fan recordings of this from other shows where she sounds a LOT better than the pro-recorded last show)
    Like a Prayer MDNA Tour (On a side-note how beautiful is her smile?!)

If you watch any of these, watch the Like a Prayer video.
    Forum Member
    Can I just ask, what is considered miming?

Is it

Moving your lips in time with a backing track but no sound actually comes out?

Or

Singing along, under your breath in time to a backing track?

I would say the first one is miming and the second one is what singers like Madonna do!
    Forum Member
    I am surprised her name isn't on the poll though...strange really. For Blonde Ambition alone I don't think any of the others mentioned, could even dream of touching that for a show, the only other show I've seen of hers was the Girlie Show, and the less said about that show the better.

It surprised me that Madonna wasn't in the poll too. Maybe the OP doesn't rate her as a performer or maybe they haven't seen her!
  • RayofLightRayofLight Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I just ask, what is considered miming?

Is it

Moving your lips in time with a backing track but no sound actually comes out?

Or

Singing along, under your breath in time to a backing track?

I would say the first one is miming and the second one is what singers like Madonna do!

Madonna doesn't do either of those things, Madonna's vocals are loud and clear on all of her concerts... sometimes her voice is backed up by an equally loud studio vocal, but her voice is loud and very clear on all of her concerts...

If you look at those videos I posted about she's blatantly loud and the main live vocal in the mix of all of those performances.

There's a variety of videos on youtube of her messing up her lyrics... especially on the Sticky and Sweet and Re-Invention concerts.

On the songs she mimes she literally has no vocal in the mix...
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be Siouxsie Sioux. Nobody comes anywhere near her in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    Yeah I'm surprised Madonna isn't on the list too.
    Her 1987 Who's That Girl World Tour is one of the best concerts i've seen (on TV, wasn't born at the time sadly :(). She put so much energy into it. The likes of Gaga, Rihanna and especially Katy Perry have never come close to a performance like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyZjQ3fcVs4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the poll is for this generation of performers rather than all time?

Whilst I won't deny that Madonnas has done some absolutely incredible live performances and is certainly an inspiration for many regarding how to work a crowd, she's known for miming to songs on occasion and for me, that just doesn't constitute being the best live performer. You need to do it all the time. It's not enough to say - well she's dancing, or she's there therefore it's live. She's a pop artist first and foremost, and makes the majority of her money and fame for writing and releasing songs. That should always come first in terms of live viewings otherwise why bother? It's like saying a rock band don't need to actually play live as long as they're working the crowd enough and moving around like crazy.

I'm not singling her out at all, it's just something I feel strongly about. Live should mean live - all the time, and. It just certain parts. If you're not good enough to do it, get another job, or practise more.
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »
    So basically you're just not a fan then?

At least you've acknowledged some qualities that make her a great performer.

Firstly, no, I am not a fan of her, what means that I don't follow her, but there are songs by her I like and I like the genre.

Secondly, since when I should be a fan of an artist to be able to enjoy the performance? I have enjoyed many lives without even hearing about those artists beforehand on various festivals or random pubs. It has nothing to do with being a fan of someone, it's about the experience.
    MikePJB wrote: »
    Well if you're a fan of someone and you believe they can dance, sing and have great energy when performing then I'm not too sure what else you could want from someone.

If they can sing, dance but had no energy or something then I'd get it.

Bey simply doesn't have strong stage presence imo, and the live was quite dull if you ask me. I felt like I could have left after the first 5 minutes without missing on something. When I go to a concert, I want to either an intense musical experience, or at least to be entertained and having fun while watching the artist perform. But seeing Beyonce live was neither of those. Also I have already forgotten almost everything about it, and that's certainly not a good thing.
    Forum Member
    I guess the poll is for this generation of performers rather than all time?

Whilst I won't deny that Madonnas has done some absolutely incredible live performances and is certainly an inspiration for many regarding how to work a crowd, she's known for miming to songs on occasion and for me, that just doesn't constitute being the best live performer. You need to do it all the time. It's not enough to say - well she's dancing, or she's there therefore it's live. She's a pop artist first and foremost, and makes the majority of her money and fame for writing and releasing songs. That should always come first in terms of live viewings otherwise why bother? It's like saying a rock band don't need to actually play live as long as they're working the crowd enough and moving around like crazy.

I'm not singling her out at all, it's just something I feel strongly about. Live should mean live - all the time, and. It just certain parts. If you're not good enough to do it, get another job, or practise more.

So, you're condemning her for a few lousy songs?

She is there and is live, and a large percentage of the time sings live.

Not singling her out? I don't see any other performers mentioned!
    Forum Member
    d56 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm surprised Madonna isn't on the list too.
    Her 1987 Who's That Girl World Tour is one of the best concerts i've seen (on TV, wasn't born at the time sadly :(). She put so much energy into it. The likes of Gaga, Rihanna and especially Katy Perry have never come close to a performance like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyZjQ3fcVs4

I agree! WTG is my all time fave Madonna tour, she just seemed to enjoy the experience from start to finish and she had great costumes, especially the red flamenco dress worn for LIB and WTG and the blue one worn for TB and PDP!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, you're condemning her for a few lousy songs?

She is there and is live, and a large percentage of the time sings live.

Not singling her out? I don't see any other performers mentioned!

I've actually already commented on this thread earlier and mentioned other artists that I didn't rate live. - so no, I'm not singling her out.

I wasnt condemning her, I was simply explaining why I don't feel Madonna for me is the best live performer. If you'd read my post, I actually said some nice things. I think you misunderstand what live means - live doesn't just mean there in person, it also means performing live and not relying on pre-recorded vocals. I acknowledged that she doesn't do it all the time, and I'm actually a fan of hers, I just don't like the fact that she lip-syncs. And it's not only a few times, it's quite a few.

That's why I'd never go to see Britney either, though admittedly from what I can tell she doesn't even sing one note, which i find farcical. As I said before, the best of this generation for me live are Beyoncé, Pink and Gaga. They have great voices, put on a good show and are all-round talents. Madonna has unbelievable stage presence, and has put on great shows, but I don't like that she lip syncs sometimes, for me that ruins it the experience and shouldn't be what music is all about.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bjork.
    Forum Member
    I agree! WTG is my all time fave Madonna tour, she just seemed to enjoy the experience from start to finish and she had great costumes, especially the red flamenco dress worn for LIB and WTG and the blue one worn for TB and PDP!

Yeah it's amazing! The energy in that show was 100% from start to finish. Not that many performers put the same effort in now
    Forum Member
    I've actually already commented on this thread earlier and mentioned other artists that I didn't rate live. - so no, I'm not singling her out.

I wasnt condemning her, I was simply explaining why I don't feel Madonna for me is the best live performer. If you'd read my post, I actually said some nice things. I think you misunderstand what live means - live doesn't just mean there in person, it also means performing live and not relying on pre-recorded vocals. I acknowledged that she doesn't do it all the time, and I'm actually a fan of hers, I just don't like the fact that she lip-syncs. And it's not only a few times, it's quite a few.

That's why I'd never go to see Britney either, though admittedly from what I can tell she doesn't even sing one note, which i find farcical. As I said before, the best of this generation for me live are Beyoncé, Pink and Gaga. They have great voices, put on a good show and are all-round talents. Madonna has unbelievable stage presence, and has put on great shows, but I don't like that she lip syncs sometimes, for me that ruins it the experience and shouldn't be what music is all about.

I haven't misunderstood, I do know what live means and I would prefer if Madonna sang live all the time too, but she doesn't and I can see what you mean but it does seem a shame to dismiss her just for the sake of a couple of lip synched songs!