Man United Supporters Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stories from the papers

Daily Star

Manchester United could hijack Manchester City's bid for Porto's Eliaquim Mangala.

The defender, 23, is Manuel Pellegrini's top summer transfer target as he looks to find a partner for captain Vincent Kompany.

City are ready to splash out £30m, but United have been told he would prefer a move to Old Trafford.

New United boss Louis van Gaal is still contemplating who he needs to fill the void left by Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.

Borussia Dortmund's Mats Hummels is a big target, but Mangala is ready to snub City if Van Gaal comes calling.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    I wasn't being pedantic, far from it, I was only pointing out that Scholes did coach him, for however short time frame it was, and anyway, it is not as if those three weeks or so were the only time that they interacted, Scholes would have known Rooney from the many Yeats that they were team-mates, so his mind would have known about Rooney long before his coaching stint.

It is a perfectly valid opinion that Scholes holds, he certainly has seen enough of him to warrent such a one.

How on earth is Scholes and Rooney interacting years ago relevant to whether Rooney might be passed his best now?

Nobody has said Scholes doesn't have a valid viewpoint. I don't know why I'm trying to explain this when you can just read Rooney's quote, he's clearly talking about lately.
    "[Scholes has] been a team-mate but he's been away from the first team for a long time.

"I've seen a lot of you (in the media) saying he's coached me and been around the team but he hasn't.
  • Eye ItchEye Itch Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it's looking likely that we won't be making any signings until after the World Cup. In the meantime, Chelsea, City and Liverpool seem to be getting deals done.
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scholes didn't pull up any trees in an england shirt, and he walked away from england at the age of 29 or 30 which is something i cannot understand. i just think it is disrespectful to a former team-mate of many years to publicly say he is past his best and in decline, he can have that opinion privately and talk about it with his mates but when he says it publicly he knows rooney is going to hear about it and be unhappy with his comments.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    scholes didn't pull up any trees in an england shirt, and he walked away from england at the age of 29 or 30 which is something i cannot understand. i just think it is disrespectful to a former team-mate of many years to publicly say he is past his best and in decline, he can have that opinion privately and talk about it with his mates but when he says it publicly he knows rooney is going to hear about it and be unhappy with his comments.

What loyalty does Scholes have to Rooney? None at all.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scholes didn't pull up any trees in an England shirt because he was shifted around to make way for the golden pair of Gerrard and Lampard.

The England team should have been built around Scholes for an entire decade - and suffered terribly for it, because no England manager had the balls to not play any of them.

He walked away because he could see what everyone else could. It was a waste of time, and leaving helped his domestic career no end.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    It shouldn't be difficult for a Manchester United fan to understand why Scholes retired from playing for England.
    Forum Member
    It shouldnt be difficult for any football fan to understand why any player retires from playing for England.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Scholes didn't pull up any trees in an England shirt because he was shifted around to make way for the golden pair of Gerrard and Lampard.

The England team should have been built around Scholes for an entire decade - and suffered terribly for it, because no England manager had the balls to not play any of them.

He walked away because he could see what everyone else could. It was a waste of time, and leaving helped his domestic career no end.

i am well aware of the circumstances of the england team at that time which led to him retiring, however i don't support the decision. he missed out on several international tournaments in the prime of his career, if he had to play out of position then so be it, iniesta has never complained about playing on the left for spain. as for positioning, it only would of taken an injury to lampard or gerrard before a tournament and he is back playing where he wants to play in a world cup or euro's. so i don't understand his decision to throw the towel in...
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    What loyalty does Scholes have to Rooney? None at all.

well they played together at united for 9 years so i would expect there to be some loyalty and mutual respect there. however i didn't say anything about loyalty in my post, i just said it is disrespectful to a former team mate of many years, rooney has only ever had good things to say about scholes so i don't know what scholes was thinking with those comments...
    Forum Member

well they played together at united for 9 years so i would expect there to be some loyalty and mutual respect there. however i didn't say anything about loyalty in my post, i just said it is disrespectful to a former team mate of many years, rooney has only ever had good things to say about scholes so i don't know what scholes was thinking with those comments...

Maybe he was offering an opinion? Just like any pundit does now. if you are in the media and an ex-pro are you only allowed to offer opinion on players you dont know?

I seriously dont see what the deal is here.

Rooney dealt with it well. Scholes has earned the right to say what he wants. Seriously, what is the issue?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It shouldnt be difficult for any football fan to understand why any player retires from playing for England.

most international teams go into the world cup or euros with little or no chance of winning it, the players are just happy to be a part of such an event and proud to play for there country, by your logic those players should all retire because they don't play for spain, germany or brazil...
    Forum Member
    most international teams go into the world cup or euros with little or no chance of winning it, the players are just happy to be a part of such an event and proud to play for there country, by your logic those players should all retire because they don't play for spain, germany or brazil...

How is that "by my logic"? When did i say "not winning" was the reason for players not wanting to play??

Bloody hell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is that "by my logic"? When did i say "not winning" was the reason for players not wanting to play??

Bloody hell.

what is the reason you were hinting at then, or was it just a throwaway comment...
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It shouldn't be difficult for any football fan to understand why any player retires from playing for England.

I could jump to conclusions (as well) but do elaborate why any player might:

(a) rejoice at being selected initially;
    (b) get annoyed at being dropped;
    (c) retire from international duty (sic).

As for (c) without wishing to second-guess your own reasoning (or refer to specific individuals or clubs) I'd guess leveraging the England shirt to enhance one's own brand and then dump it when it is no longer useful in the context of club football or punditry earnings.

Oh just checked - it's D-Day + 70 today
    Forum Member
    what is the reason you were hinting at then, or was it just a throwaway comment...

I wouldnt deal with the hassle of being built up and knocked down by clueless idiots who know nothing about football.

Right now if you are an England player you are expected to win the world cup and not be good enough to play in the first place - at the same time.

If i was a football agent the first thing i would tell an English player is to get the hell away from the toxic shite that is the England football support.
    Forum Member
    I could jump to conclusions (as well) but do elaborate why any player might:

(a) rejoice at being selected initially;
    (b) get annoyed at being dropped;
    (c) retire from international duty (sic).

As for (c) without wishing to second-guess your own reasoning (or refer to specific individuals or clubs) I'd guess leveraging the England shirt to enhance one's own brand and then dump it when it is no longer useful in the context of club football or punditry earnings.

Oh just checked - it's D-Day + 70 today

Do you often check if its the anniversary of D-Day or did you just get lucky today?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you often check if its the anniversary of D-Day or did you just get lucky today?

The latter ;-)

Your comment above is rational but stresses the media comments. Is that really a big deal? Is Ashley Cole in a better position than the England players with the media having retired?

I would replace with:

"I wouldn't deal with the hassle of being knocked down by clueless players and taken out for a few months or more"

Would you (if an agent) suggest players never play for their country? A dozen games?

From a brand management perspective as an agent I would always recommend my players play for their country for the exposure generating commercial deals as well as future transfers.

If a player wants to avoid friendlies then he can generate a series of groin strains rather than retire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt deal with the hassle of being built up and knocked down by clueless idiots who know nothing about football.

Right now if you are an England player you are expected to win the world cup and not be good enough to play in the first place - at the same time.

If i was a football agent the first thing i would tell an English player is to get the hell away from the toxic shite that is the England football support.

the players of every major football nation have to deal with media scrutiny and expectation, it is not something exclusive to england players yet people in england seem to think it is. i haven't seen any media outlets or many fans predicting we can genuinely win an international tournament for a long time now, there was no expectation going into the last tournament and not much going into this one. most of my friends think we won't get out of the group, so i don't know who it is that you think is expecting england to win the world cup :confused:
    Forum Member
    the players of every major football nation have to deal with media scrutiny and expectation, it is not something exclusive to england players yet people in england seem to think it is. i haven't seen any media outlets or many fans predicting we can genuinely win an international tournament for a long time now, there was no expectation going into the last tournament and not much going into this one. most of my friends think we won't get out of the group, so i don't know who it is that you think is expecting england to win the world cup :confused:

For the record i'm not English, i dont live in England and i dont support England. Im just commenting on what i see from the outside. I have no axe to grind either way. I just think playing for England is an impossible job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the record i'm not English, i dont live in England and i dont support England. Im just commenting on what i see from the outside. I have no axe to grind either way. I just think playing for England is an impossible job.

well you haven't done a good job of explaining why, the issues you mentioned are the same with every major football nation. gerrard and lampard are still playing for england at 34 and 35 so they obviously haven't found it to be an impossible job, i am glad they didn't throw the towel in like scholes did...
    Forum Member
    well you haven't done a good job of explaining why, the issues you mentioned are the same with every major football nation. gerrard and lampard are still playing for england at 34 and 35 so they obviously haven't found it to be an impossible job, i am glad they didn't throw the towel in like scholes did...

I dont need to explain it to you. I dont need validation from you. It is my opinion. Im not here to persuade you of my opinion.

I am aware that players play for England, i dont need examples of that either. Oh, and something being impossible doesnt mean people automatically stop trying.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was delighted Scholes packed England in when he did, and I'd have all ours do the same.

A load of hassle that they just don't need, and missing it would almost certainly help prolong their club careers.

For the record, I'm English, live in England and always want them to do well. But there's just too much shite surrounding it that makes it very difficult to care about the national side like I do United.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    I was delighted Scholes packed England in when he did, and I'd have all ours do the same.

A load of hassle that they just don't need, and missing it would almost certainly help prolong their club careers.

For the record, I'm English, live in England and always want them to do well. But there's just too much shite surrounding it that makes it very difficult to care about the national side like I do United.

You'd have all "your" players never play for their countries? Or for a few years and then retire?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »

you always want england to do well but hope that england's best players retire, you must realise how little sense that makes reading it back. if you want england's best players to retire you don't deserve to support them when they do well, don't support england when they are playing well if you abandon them when they are struggling. playing in international tournaments is not ''a load of hassle'' as you put it, it is a great experience to look back on after they are retired having played against the very best...
  • ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    United players don't exactly get an easy ride from the England fans/press- it does make you wonder why they bother.
    England exit a tournament and it's like the fans/press immediately look for a United player to make a scapegoat.... Happened to Beckham, Phil Neville, Rooney countless times. Then if they can't find an English United player to go for then a foreign one will do- Ronaldo and the wink.
    The treatment David Beckham got after 1998 was just disgusting. Although it did spur him on to stick two fingers up to the press by letting his football do the talking in the next season, so something good did come out of it.
This discussion has been closed.