Options

Côte d'Ivoire v Japan World Cup 2014 Group C 02:00 ITV/ITV HD 15/06 Official Thread

O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
Forum Member
For all the followers of the Les Elephants and the often unpredictable Japan team discuss this potential late night (early morning for the pedants) classic in this official match thread.

I think it will be a difficult match to predict, I favour the Cote D'Ivoire though I think it will be a close game, 2-1.

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Can't we just call them Ivory Coast?
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that this is most definitely one for the Sky + box to deal with, as staying up to neigh on 4am will be too much for me!

As for the game, I have a funny feeling about Japan, I think that they could do well at this tournament, albeit not quite as well as their women did in their World Cup!

So, I think that Japan will win this match 2-1 or something like that.

I wonder how much of a match report that there will be in the papers, as surely this match will finish waaaayyyyy after their deadlines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can't we just call them Ivory Coast?

Just being politically correct for the official thread title and op, yeah Ivory Coast is ok to.
    I think that this is most definitely one for the Sky + box to deal with, as staying up to neigh on 4am will be too much for me!

As for the game, I have a funny feeling about Japan, I think that they could do well at this tournament, albeit not quite as well as their women did in their World Cup!

So, I think that Japan will win this match 2-1 or something like that.

I wonder how much of a match report that there will be in the papers, as surely this match will finish waaaayyyyy after their deadlines.

I struggle with watching any game that isn't live for some reason, so I'll be watching the game live in its entirety for sure.
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see The Ivory Coast do well but I've always had a soft spot for Japan so my loyalties are divided, it will be an interesting game and very competitive, this being a group which any of the 4 teams could get through to round 2
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will probably be one of the matches air will not watch.

If the Cricket arrest match is over in 3 days, ai might Sky + t,
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    My divided loyalties between the Ivory Coast and Japan are causing me no end of trouble with this match.

Having shot an elephant for its ivory and sold it to a Japanese businessman to fashion into whisky glasses im really all over the place here.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will do my best to stay up for it. I think its between Ivory Coast and Japan for 2nd in Group C, as Colombia should win the group and Greece are terrible. My prediction is 3-2 Ivory Coast
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »

I struggle with watching any game that isn't live for some reason, so I'll be watching the game live in its entirety for sure.

As long as I don't know the score of a match, (so no internet or other TV channels before I watch this!) then I can watch a match "as live", sometimes it is better, as I can x30 Chiles and the gang before the match, and at half time, and just get on with watching the action!

But I do understand where you are coming from!
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this one, so much so that I've already ordered in some refreshing Pact Coffee to ensure I'm wide awake for kick off.
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me the best match in last years confederation cup featured Japan and Italy, I'll be rooting for Japan.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gutted I'll be missing this. I was looking forward to the 2am match since it was announced but then I realised that I'm going to the cricket at Lord's on the Sunday so I can't stay up till 4. Might try and watch the 1st half.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Gutted I'll be missing this. I was looking forward to the 2am match since it was announced but then I realised that I'm going to the cricket at Lord's on the Sunday so I can't stay up till 4. Might try and watch the 1st half.

Hope for your sake the test Match is over in 3 days.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope for your sake the test Match is over in 3 days.

That would probably mean England had been routed again though :(
  • Options
    PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any good tactics in how to stay up for this match.

Woke up at about 8:00 today, and can see myself being really knackered by 2:00.
  • Options
    simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having a BBQ for the England match, dont think I've got the stamina to stay up for this one. Should be a good match though, Japan apparently play very attacking football and Ivory Coast have some good attacking players.
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PES 2009 wrote: »
    Any good tactics in how to stay up for this match.

Woke up at about 8:00 today, and can see myself being really knackered by 2:00.

Squeeze in a nap somewhere.

Then black coffee & Red Bull.
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure who I want to win this, I guess whoever plays better and who wants it more. England will be watching all of the Group C teams with great interest, if by any chance England get through
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Be a good contrast in styles the big physical approach of the Ivory Coast verses the small running style of play from japan
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of Keisuke Honda but not enough to stay up til 4am alas. :(
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Just being politically correct for the official thread title and op, yeah Ivory Coast is ok to..

Why didn't you refer to Japan as Nippon?

Edit: I'm just messing around btw, I don't care one jot. It is a bit of a weird double-standard when you think about it, people thinking it should be Côte d'Ivoire but never Nippon, Deutschland or Suomi for example, but it's hardly something to lose sleep over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Why didn't you refer to Japan as Nippon?

Edit: I'm just messing around btw, I don't care one jot. It is a bit of a weird double-standard when you think about it, people thinking it should be Côte d'Ivoire but never Nippon, Deutschland or Suomi for example, but it's hardly something to lose sleep over.

Yeah your right, it would have made this thread's light hearted intentions a bit too obvious though.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_Coast#Names
    Thata why it's the Côte d'Ivoire
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, how about République de Côte d'Ivoire :D

I'll be staying up for this one.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondering, is this the latest time a live World Cup match has ever started in the UK? I know there were a few 12.30am kickoffs here in the 1994 World Cup, but I can't remember any later ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OP, how about République de Côte d'Ivoire :D

I'll be staying up for this one.

Would probably have gone over the characters limit:D

Yeah it should be a good game.