Has anyone ever had a general anaesthetic?

Comments

• Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys just to let you know I did it :) thanks for your advice. Currently sitting in hospital bed x

Well, how did you find the experience? Did you gently drift off into the darkness or did you freak out and take a swing at the anaethetist before trying to run out of the building with your gown flapping in the wind?
  • scouseyb123scouseyb123 Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Haha Ron_J was starting to freak out but theh gave me a sedative which instantly relaxed me then put a mask over my mouth and within about 20 seconds of breathing that in I was asleep
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how does one know if you could have an allergic reaction to general anaesthetic
    once you are under.. that's it.. what are the precautions ??
  • Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Ha! I'm eating a piece of dried bread which is easier than swallowing the waternn

I'm so glad that you came through everything so well.

I just noticed this thread and wanted to ease your mind about the anesthesia.

Aren't you being offered any ice cream by the hospital dieticians? That's what I ate after I had my tonsils removed...when I was four years old!

Have a speedy and full recovery. :)
    Forum Member
    Hey there! They don't offer ice cream anymore as it doesn't really do much in preventing infections apparently! Only by trying to eat normal foods and thus knocking all the gunk that develops from the back of the throat...well, foods with rough edges like toast can do that
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The waking up is the confusing bit.

The nurse said to me before hand that when you wake up you'll think you've woken up early and will panic.

and she was right!

I was flapping about trying to tell them to put me back under :D

I thought it was 2009 when it was 2011 - and then asked why I'd been under
    for 2 years.

Nurses just said he's confused and left me alone for a while - gradually came back.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Yes, but I can't remember a thing about it except that I woke up in a fit of panic wondering where I was.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had a operation in September last year to remove part of my large bowel. I thought i would panic, but nope I was fine.
    The problem I had was them trying to put the epidural in my back, in the end they put me under and done it then.

I remembered them putting the mask on my face and that was it until I woke up, saying that I was hot and I remember them saying we will get some thing to cool you down, then I remember nothing more until I woke up again latter on.

The nurse did say I tried to get off of the trolley, but I do not remember that.

i must admit I would not really want to go through it again, well I did not feel any pain, the antibiotics made me feel ill.

I am now coping with the Chemo I have to have and I think that is worse than the op.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »
    I'm so glad that you came through everything so well.

I just noticed this thread and wanted to ease your mind about the anesthesia.

Aren't you being offered any ice cream by the hospital dieticians? That's what I ate after I had my tonsils removed...when I was four years old!

Have a speedy and full recovery. :)

Even when I had my tonsils out back in 1977, they had given up giving people ice-cream after it. It was toast and chips and things like that. It was awful trying to eat them with such a sore throat and I also had to have stitches in the back of my throat as it wouldn't stop bleeding.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    i had a operation in September last year to remove part of my large bowel. I thought i would panic, but nope I was fine.
    The problem I had was them trying to put the epidural in my back, in the end they put me under and done it then.

I remembered them putting the mask on my face and that was it until I woke up, saying that I was hot and I remember them saying we will get some thing to cool you down, then I remember nothing more until I woke up again latter on.

The nurse did say I tried to get off of the trolley, but I do not remember that.

i must admit I would not really want to go through it again, well I did not feel any pain, the antibiotics made me feel ill.

I am now coping with the Chemo I have to have and I think that is worse than the op.

Sorry to hear you're going through chemo noise747 - not a pleasant experience! Tomorrow will be exactly one year since my first chemo and is now (just about) a distant memory - hopefully yours will be too in the next few months! Good luck for the rest of the cycles.
    Forum Member
    Recovery from the tonsillectomy is steady.. very painful to swallow, but my voice sounds like, without sounding disrespectful, how a deaf person would speak! Is that a normal ?
    Forum Member
    Recovery from the tonsillectomy is steady.. very painful to swallow, but my voice sounds like, without sounding disrespectful, how a deaf person would speak! Is that a normal ?

Probably due to the swelling changing the dynamics of your vocal tract. I'm sure it'll return to normal in a few days.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had my tonsils out when I was 30. Was told to expect to be kept in for 3 days due to age.
    I was only kept in over night, and was home by 10am the next day

I found eating dry cereal really helped, it was sore but it helped keep the yucky stuff off them.

Don't worry your voice will return to normal:D
    Forum Member
    tigragirl wrote: »
    I had my tonsils out when I was 30. Was told to expect to be kept in for 3 days due to age.
    I was only kept in over night, and was home by 10am the next day

I found eating dry cereal really helped, it was sore but it helped keep the yucky stuff off them.

Don't worry your voice will return to normal:D

Blimey, you're lucky - I had mine out at 27 and they made me stay in for 5 days! I was bored climbing the walls...
    Forum Member
    I'm 27 too...was discharged next morning
    Forum Member
    Very jealous now!

I spent most of the five days trying to tell little old ladies who had undergone throat operations that they should be on voice rest - they just seemed to want to talk to all the time! They all went to bed by about 8pm and I wasn't allowed out of the ward after that - it was torture!
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    Blimey, you're lucky - I had mine out at 27 and they made me stay in for 5 days! I was bored climbing the walls...

That's better than me. I had mine out when I was 26 and had to stay in for 8 days! Mind you I was really ill and had to have stitches in my throat as it kept bleeding. Then I got bronchitis on top of it all and it was agony to cough. I just felt too rotten to feel bored.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Probably tl;dr for most but whatever.

I had mine out on 18 December in 2000 (had quite a lot happen on 18 December and it's also my wedding anniversary now so there must be something about then) and it was a horrible experience. I'd meant to have it done 10 days earlier, but the fact I'm needlephobic (which the consultant just HAD to show me) and I have a flow murmur meant I'd managed to hype myself up so much that even a shedload of sedatives didn't touch me. In the end the consultant anaesthetist decided that he couldn't risk it so would book me in again.

I was taken in the night before at TEA TIME. I'd apparently been booked my own room, but there'd been an "incident" so I was on the ward. So, I'm sat there watching other patients having their tea, and I'm nil-by-mouth (sadistic bastards). Getting on for around 9pm the nurse interrupts my Gameboy session to give me a "sedative" as they want me to have a good nights sleep, and it was a "good 'un". I put my Gameboy away and wait. And wait. And wait some more. Around midnight the nurse notices I'm still bright eyed and bushy tailed. So she gives me another one. Didn't work. One in the morning rolls around and I have the "last one". Nope - I didn't sleep.

By 8am I'm not in the best of moods, nor mind sets. My best mate turns up to sit with me as he fancied a giggle. The moment he saw the (different) anaesthetist and my named nurse he went over and mentioned that I had needlephobia, but if I wasn't show the cannula I would be OK, and if I did resist he'd happily hold my arm down. Anaesthetist comes around and, once again shows me the cannula. I don't know whether it's something with Warrington hospital or what but "by law" they had to show me. Once again I go hyper and they start with the useless sedatives. To cut a long story short it took 3 hours for them to get the cannula in, in between other slots, and in the end they resorted to getting a nurse up from paediatrics (oh the shame) to talk me down. They eventually did it while I looked into her eyes and listened to Kirsty McColl's Tropical Brainstorm on my minidisc (eery because that was the day she died). Following that, the anaesthetist gives me a shot of something and goes "that will calm you down".

No. It freaked me out because I saw smurfs (not far behind the muppets in my irrational phobia list) running everywhere. I'm still absolutely hyped, the anaesthetist is now getting pissed off, and my best mate is sat playing Super Mario and finding it amusing.

They cart me into the room where they put you under and jack me up again. I count from 10 to 0 and then get to minus numbers. Anaesthetist sighs, jacks me up with something else and then it started to work. I felt like all sensation was suddenly being cut off at my joints going up my body with a kind of "ka-junk" sensation. Then it got my chest and I'm like "Oh f...".

The next thing I know I'm in recovery, alarms going crazy and some mad nurse (she was actually quite nice all things considered) yelling at me to breathe (my wife does the same - when we're in pain we forget to breathe!?!). The problem is at this point I haven't got the slightest clue who I am, where I am or what has happened and my survival instincts kick in so I try and get off the bed, at which point I realised the rest of my body wasn't willing to play along so I'm resisting the nurses who are trying to keep me in one place, while trying to haul myself over the side of the bed rails. Eventually I gave up when I was injected with something because all I remembered was being cold for a bit and then kind of coming round back on the ward with my mate grinning his face off.

Apparently I'd been a complete nightmare when I came around. I'd apparently threatened to rip the anaesthetists eyeballs out and urinate in the socket, demanded that the "bearded c**t" came and faced me, and asked how one of the theatre nurses had managed to get to work because if she was my missus "I'd never be off her". My vocal exertions meant I couldn't swallow anything, and since they weren't willing to provide me with any more injectable morphine, meant that I had to have a painkilling suppository (although I would have probably paid good money to have a lovely blonde nurse shove something up my backside on any other day). Not my finest day I must admit.

And to top it off I ended up back in hospital Xmas day when I sliced the pad off one of my fingers cutting potatoes for Xmas dinner. Yep, there was fun when I needed my tetanus.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    don`t be alarmed if you start crying when you come round, it`s a common after effect.
    Forum Member
    That's better than me. I had mine out when I was 26 and had to stay in for 8 days! Mind you I was really ill and had to have stitches in my throat as it kept bleeding. Then I got bronchitis on top of it all and it was agony to cough. I just felt too rotten to feel bored.

Oh, poor you - that sounds really rough! I think I'd have been grateful to be there if I'd have been that ill as well... :(
  • funnyonionfunnyonion Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Scouseyb123 - glad it all went okay :-) How is your throat now? My 21 year old daughter is having her tonsils out on Tuesday and she's more worried about the pain afterwards than anything else. Of course she keeps looking online and finding people who give daily updates about how much agony they're in. I keep telling her to stop looking but she likes to be prepared for the worst! And what painkillers do they give you? Something stronger than paracetamol?

Iqoniq - your story was great, it probably wasn't funny at the time, but its made me laugh
    :-)
    Forum Member
    funnyonion wrote: »
    Scouseyb123 - glad it all went okay :-) How is your throat now? My 21 year old daughter is having her tonsils out on Tuesday and she's more worried about the pain afterwards than anything else. Of course she keeps looking online and finding people who give daily updates about how much agony they're in. I keep telling her to stop looking but she likes to be prepared for the worst! And what painkillers do they give you? Something stronger than paracetamol?

Iqoniq - your story was great, it probably wasn't funny at the time, but its made me laugh

I don't remember being given any painkillers for home when I had mine out (although it was in 1990, so I could well be wrong!) However, I would make sure she's got paracetamol or paracetamol/codeine and ibuprofen so she can alternate them than waiting 4-6 hours between each dose.

I found that the sore throat only lasted a few days, but the earache went on for a couple of weeks and that was really bad!

Wishing her all the best!
    Forum Member

Hey there! Do you know what for some reason my healing is going very good...almost too good. Nothing like the horror stories I read so much about on the internet. I think its because I am constantly drinking water, its keeping everything nice and fresh in my throat! I do have pain but its not excruciating, its worse in the mornings but it goes down if i start drinking water and painkillers and trying to eat as much normal food as possible. Its helped because I've had someone to look after me so haven't moved from my bed really since Thursday! Obviously apart to do essential things. The only other thing that has happened is that it hurts to speak at the moment and my voice sounds strained and weird so hoping that goes down soon...i think it is something to do with a huge swollen uvula ive now got.

Anyhow so my advice is she needs to rest up, literally do nothing, drink tonnes of water oh and chew gum too which keeps the mouth lubricated. Try and eat as normal a diet as possible...but not things that are acidic try and keep it bland like scrambled egg, mashed potato and bread.
    Forum Member

Sorry I forgot to add that I am taking paracetomol and some super strong ibuprofen that looks like a prescription only one. I have also been given something called Difflam mouthwash which is some medical mouthwash that seems to ease the pain and also clean the throat...try not to gargle too strongly though. I was also prescribed some morphine but I haven't needed that at all yet.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »

Haha, I remember throwing up during the night, just blood that had pooled.
    They told me at breakfast if I had toast I could go home after breakfast so rang my dad and before he could get to the hospital I was discharged. They didn't even wait for me to be collected. My dad met me at the lift, I threw up blood again outside but just wanted to get home.

It's much better feeling sorry for yourself at home than in hospital:D

Aug last year I had spinal surgery, went down to theatre at 3pm and was discharged mid morning the following day after showing the Physio that I could walk up some stairs.:o

Pleased to hear you are doing OK OP