Options

Anyone seen any robins?

13»

Comments

• Options
    bcdeebcdee Posts: 318,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's snow in the garden just now, so I sprinkle seeds on the patio door ledge. The robin hops over from the plant pots for a feed :)

I'm sure he watches the other birds on the feeders and laughs as he has all this to himself :D

I'll try and get a pic of him, but any movement from me and he's away
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Home Bargains are selling bags of seeds, nuts, mealworms coconut shells, suet blocks, at a reasonable price, I was in earlier stocking up for refilling the feeders
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a robin living in our local Sainsburys. A member of staff told me that it had been there for two months. I saw it this morning sitting on the veg aisle singing away. Poor little thing.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 males come into our smoking shelter at work & are well fed.
  • Options
    YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    It was a sure sign the weather is cold this week, first time ever there were 3 robins at the same time at the bird feeders and its my first year seeing them actually eating from the feeders- they like the fat balls in the squirrel proof one
  • Options
    ItsBrookeItsBrooke Posts: 2,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 in my garden, One is currently checking out the ivy, Dont know if it is looking for nest site for March we will see.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I've not seen many birds at all over the weekend. They must be struggling with the weather?:(
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a Robin, a Wren and Blue Tit in my garden. Along with Starlings, Blackbirds, Crows and Magpies.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw one yesterday. It was in the mouth of next doors very large male cat. I clapped my hands and he dropped the robin, which actually flew away. I was very happy. I love robins.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have one, sometimes two, that visit my garden. Had absolutely LOADS of birds in my garden this morning.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I haven't noticed any robins as yet, although I did see a female blackbird checking for possible nesting sites, and I've also had some chaffinches hopping about in the cherry tree.
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    There's been a robin singing in a tree next to a street light outside my house all evening. I think he may finally have decided to take a nap!

I have one very territorial robin that visits my garden several times every day. There are loads in my neck of the woods as I'm near open land with plenty of scruffy hedgerows.

I think it's definitely spring in bird world. I saw starlings checking out under roofs for possible nesting holes earlier and blue tits have been investigating the nest box at the bottom of my garden.
  • Options
    SmoojSmooj Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have a friendly Robin in my garden who has been here recently. I haven't been looking out for him over the past few days, but I've seen him in the past week. As the weather gets better and I get back out into the garden, he often seems to visit to see what's going on when I'm out there. I like to think of us as friends now.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought and carry dried mealworms with me to try and feed a couple of resident Robins I see in two different park/garden areas I pass through daily along the Embankment in Central London. One Robin devours them very happily and has seemingly got used to my visits now and generally appears pretty quickly to get some straight away and then frequently comes back for more. The other one however does come to investigate but never takes any and just doesn't seem interested. I'm quite puzzled by this. Are some birds fussy eaters? :confused:
    The Blue Tits seem to like them also though, so I'm happy that I'm also hopefully providing them with a bit of sustenance. :)
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our robins love sunflower hearts. Use a hanging feeder with a collection tray as they not only reduce spilt seed but also allow birds to perch easier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aldi are selling a 12.75kg sack of wild bird seed mix for £7.99 if anyone is looking for cheap bird food :)
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They like the RSBP fat balls from Sainsbury's but when I tried some from Wilkinson's no bird would eat them. Where I use to live birds liked peanuts, then I moved up market and the snooty birds here won't touch them!
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    I love robins, they come and sit near us when we are gardening. I suppose they are waiting for the worms. I have a little chat to them (sad I know).

I have just seen a little sparrow chewing the fat balls. We also get blue tits, thrushes and blackbirds.
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been digging out the compost heap the last couple of weeks and a robin always comes to pick over the ground afterward. One year when I was digging it out the same one returned again and again for hours on end picking up the centipedes and other bugs I turned up. I think he gave up eventually I think he'd had his fill. :)
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    They like the RSBP fat balls from Sainsbury's but when I tried some from Wilkinson's no bird would eat them. Where I use to live birds liked peanuts, then I moved up market and the snooty birds here won't touch them!

Funny you say that. I've been putting the Wilko ones out successfully for a few years, but this year, the birds seem to be ignoring them?
  • Options
    MelodyMakerMelodyMaker Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We get so many birds all the time, loads of different robins too, they really do love the sunflower heart seeds, all the birds seem to especially the tits.
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw one when I was at Croft (the motor racing circuit) on 28th December last year.

Only one I've seen.
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Funny you say that. I've been putting the Wilko ones out successfully for a few years, but this year, the birds seem to be ignoring them?

The only birds that seem to like the fatballs in my garden are the sparrows. They all seem to love the Unipet suet block with mealworms. I think the long tailed tits are addicted to them as I've never known them to hang around the garden as much as they do before. The woodpeckers also love them. I think I have 2 males and one female coming several times a day.

It's robin wars in my garden with 2 males fighting for the affections on the lady. Fun to watch!
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw one today - here's a lovely story, my late Mum always loved Robins she had a special one that came to her bird table and she loved it.

When she died she was cremated and we have a bird box with her name on in the crematorium, last year a family of Robins made their home there she would have been so thrilled to see them