Options

Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's one of those people who prides himself on being blunt, but when it actually came to it he behaved in a very passive-aggressive manner. Instead of, when the other two brought their own food to the table, addressing the issue then and there he waited until a perfectly reasonable request for salt and pepper was made to behave like a child. I admire bluntness (being a bit that way myself) but he behaved more like someone who's out of his comfort zone. I would have been angry about that couple bringing their own food, but would have either just swallowed it and said nothing or addressed it at the time. I can't believe Sonia has had all that experience in the hospitality industry and doesn't know it's rude (at the very least) to bring your own food to the table. It would have been excusable if they'd had some kind of special dietary requirements but this was apparently not the case as Sonia said they wouldn't have bothered if they'd known it was a problem. What a nasty pair they are. If this is what they're like when they're presumably on their best behaviour, what are they like the rest of the time? :o

I thought Martin and Pat (is that right?) handled themselves beautifully. Pat managed to be forthright and dignified at the same time! :)

I also thought the best B&B won.

Do agree with your thoughts here and I too like and appreciate people who are 'no nonsense', 'say it as they see it', types. But Martin was too OTT with his reaction and particularly with the sarcastic hand clapping for my liking over the salt and pepper incident. The guy, (Graham I think), did make a pretty harmless request in a polite manner and was treated very harshly as a consequence. That doesn't excuse his and his wife's many other faults though!
    Yes, and we've also seen some less-than-perfect establishments that go on to receive high marks because the proprietors made the stay so pleasurable. I can't see that being the case at Loch Ness Glamping!

And despite not having the most 'desirable' establishments around, many have also gone on to do very well in respect of the 'free advertising' and getting future bookings I'd hope because they decided to portray themselves in a very amenable and favourable manner on the programme. Something the proprietors of Loch Ness Glamping failed at miserably!
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    This issue has been raised in previous series. It is because it is all done on percentages, not the actual amount paid. If it was on the actual amount they received £153 on rooms costing £145. That is 105.52%, so would have been rounded to 106%. But it is different when the percentage each couple paid is used as the result. The couple who paid in full paid 100%; the couple who paid £68 for their £50 room paid 130%; £25 for the £35 room was 71.43%. The percentages therefore add up to 301.43. Divide that by 3 and the result is 100.48%, which rounded is 100%.

Your obviously good at maths, I'm not. :blush: (Although I normally do pretty well at the numbers bit on Countdown!). :D Its working out the percentages on this that often throws me though. :confused: So, going to trust your summarising and explanation on this one. :)
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    This issue has been raised in previous series. It is because it is all done on percentages, not the actual amount paid. If it was on the actual amount they received £153 on rooms costing £145. That is 105.52%, so would have been rounded to 106%. But it is different when the percentage each couple paid is used as the result. The couple who paid in full paid 100%; the couple who paid £68 for their £50 room paid 130%; £25 for the £35 room was 71.43%. The percentages therefore add up to 301.43. Divide that by 3 and the result is 100.48%, which rounded is 100%.

Wow, thanks for that! it just didnt seem right seeing the numbers on the screen.
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mispost - oops!
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Your obviously good at maths, I'm not. :blush: (Although I normally do pretty well at the numbers bit on Countdown!). :D Its working out the percentages on this that often throws me though. :confused: So, going to trust your summarising and explanation on this one. :)
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Wow, thanks for that! it just didnt seem right seeing the numbers on the screen.

You are more than welcome. It used to confuse me too, until someone explained it a couple of years back. Why they don't just use the obvious calculation, which is how much they should have been paid in total, and how much they got in total, is beyond me! :confused:
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fiagomez wrote: »
    i'm glad the last couple won but i thought it was funny how desperate the other 2 couples were with their overpayments to ensure sonia and graham didnt win!! :D

Even funnier was the look on Sonia and Graham's faces! I'm so glad they lost. :D:D:D
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was interesting. I am sure that for the final night, people overpaid in order to ensure that Graham and Sonia didn't win. So coincidentally, it looks like the right hosts won due to game playing by the other couples. How stupid were Graham and Sonia to piss away their 100% of payments for their night because of their subsequent silly behaviour. Muppets.

Lovely explanation of percentage calculations, Tommo. Respect. :cool:

I would still argue that it is not at all disrespectful to pitch up at breakfast with your own supplies. You're running a business and if someone wants to supplement what you provide as standard with something they like to eat, it's not a personal attack on your standards or whatever. It just isn't. As a host, your job is to make your guests comfortable in the environment you provide and taking offence over what they want to bring to breakfast is simply absurd. I'd just look at the savings if they're not consuming my food. :D
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    That was interesting. I am sure that for the final night, people overpaid in order to ensure that Graham and Sonia didn't win. So coincidentally, it looks like the right hosts won due to game playing by the other couples. How stupid were Graham and Sonia to piss away their 100% of payments for their night because of their subsequent silly behaviour. Muppets.

Lovely explanation of percentage calculations, Tommo. Respect. :cool:

I would still argue that it is not at all disrespectful to pitch up at breakfast with your own supplies. You're running a business and if someone wants to supplement what you provide as standard with something they like to eat, it's not a personal attack on your standards or whatever. It just isn't. As a host, your job is to make your guests comfortable in the environment you provide and taking offence over what they want to bring to breakfast is simply absurd. I'd just look at the savings if they're not consuming my food. :D

I understand your point of view, which is from someone in the B&B business, but I think in this situation it was silly of S and G to bring their own food which made them look very rude, as if they were trying to show up the establishments where they brought it out. The White Bear people took this as an insult, along with their comments about it making a good bunkhouse, and the other couple also said it was insulting. Considering Sonia and Graham came across as rather desperate to win, it was a particularly stupid thing to do as it got the backs up of two couples, who made sure they didn't win. Satisfying!

I can see it might well be different when you are talking about day-to-day running of a B&B, but in this situation the hosts are trying to show you the range of what they do, including their breakfasts, so bringing your own stuff looks very churlish.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately she has fallen into the trap that most of these 'I'm just straight talking' types end up in. She is far too eager to be 'honest' and dish out the criticism etc but when it came to her establishment and her very odd behaviour at breakfast, she couldn't understand why there were any negative comments!

It's very hypocritical and I really can't stand people who feel 'obligated' somehow to dish out harsh and unecessary negativity towards people when they are unable to receive the same in return.
    I didn't like her husband's comment in the room either - to the effect that the others should count themselves lucky to be receiving this (OTT) criticism from them because otherwise (paraphrasing) 'how will they ever learn?' Like they are somehow deemed gurus on the how to run a B&B! Patronising. Very patronising.

I hope they don't win, but not just because they come across as deeply unpleasant and self-centered (whether that's a true reflection of their personalities or not) but because out of all the places to stay and the couples who run the establishments, I would choose last night's. Plus the scenery and the village looked absolutely gorgeous! :)
    Yes, exactly. I didn't warm to the Loch Ness couple but they were (IMO and from what was shown) not deserving of the amount of hostility shown to them.

Some people have special food requirements/preferences so if they want gluten free rye bread, it should be no skin of anyone's nose and, yes, it was amazing how the straight talking Lancastrians were so sensitive and aggressively defensive about things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand your point of view, which is from someone in the B&B business, but I think in this situation it was silly of S and G to bring their own food which made them look very rude, as if they were trying to show up the establishments where they brought it out. The White Bear people took this as an insult, along with their comments about it making a good bunkhouse, and the other couple also said it was insulting. Considering Sonia and Graham came across as rather desperate to win, it was a particularly stupid thing to do as it got the backs up of two couples, who made sure they didn't win. Satisfying!

I can see it might well be different when you are talking about day-to-day running of a B&B, but in this situation the hosts are trying to show you the range of what they do, including their breakfasts, so bringing your own stuff looks very churlish.
    And they said to Sonia and Graham that they'd been given the single beds because they didn't seem to have a close relationship which is even worse.

I also agree that they all should be trying to show of their good sides which also goes for the moaning about others bringing an item for breakfast when they are being the hosts, as opposed to the guests, which is the main point of the show.

They should have just accepted it with good grace instead of using it as something to pin their already formed dislike of them onto, since it wasn't any big deal (and if it was meant to be irritating, it's still best to not show you mind it. I wouldn't mind it anyway personally).

Now, if I was a vegetarian wanting to stay at the White Bear, I'd feel as if meat sausages on the plate etc were not only compulsory but that I was a bit of weirdo to ask for them to be left off the plate. So I wouldn't stay there.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...but I think in this situation it was silly of S and G to bring their own food which made them look very rude, as if they were trying to show up the establishments where they brought it out. The White Bear people took this as an insult, along with their comments about it making a good bunkhouse, and the other couple also said it was insulting.
    You are right, it did make S&G look rude and difficult but the White Bear people could have handled it in a calm, classy way - especially as they were fore-warned. The White Bear could have made it clear that they were happy to accommodate S & G's preferences but instead they chose to be petulant and that silly - the no choice / salt & pepper post-teariness clapping was (as someone has said) very daft - and played into S & G's hands perfectly. Suddenly, S&G looked reasonable.

But whatever the case with the ryebread and salt & pepper, the bunk house dig was unwarranted and snide. Sonia reminded me of the dreadful Thomasine (and Ben, I think it was) - they of the pole dancing barn.

It amused me that Loch Ness and the White Bear - both of whom could have behaved better - came joint last. :D
  • Options
    HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how staying in a shed can be considered as glamping, it's just an excuse to charge a lot to sleep in a tiny chalet. For me if it doesn't involve canvas...yurt or teepee etc...it's not any kind of camping.

The right people won.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure how you can realistically mark another B&B's breakfast if you don't actually eat their breakfast. Didn't the Loch Ness pair make a comment along the lines of "If the decor is anything to go by, the breakfast is going to be very cheap"? Then they turn up at breakfast with not only their own bread, but their own museli and oats.
    Ironically it seems the White Bear actually did a very tastey breakfast and it seems to me that they offer a very good deal for the price they charge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Not sure how you can realistically mark another B&B's breakfast if you don't actually eat their breakfast. Didn't the Loch Ness pair make a comment along the lines of "If the decor is anything to go by, the breakfast is going to be very cheap"? Then they turn up at breakfast with not only their own bread, but their own museli and oats.
    Ironically it seems the White Bear actually did a very tastey breakfast and it seems to me that they offer a very good deal for the price they charge.
    Depends what you want to eat as to whether it's tasty.

There was no flexibility.

The Loch Ness couple didn't take the entire breakfast (and I don't think they should have won (the best couple won) or found them charming or anything) and seemed to want to sample other things on the menu besides the things they didn't like or preferred not to eat, such as poached eggs/mushrooms/tomatoes or whatever. Loads of people don't like everything that's offered with a full English or even a full English. It's not yet compulsory. They just asked for the sausages etc not to be put on the plate.

In this situation, they were the guests and the others were the hosts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Depends what you want to eat as to whether it's tasty.

There was no flexibility.

The Loch Ness couple didn't take the entire breakfast (and I don't think they should have won (the best couple won) or found them charming or anything) and seemed to want to sample other things on the menu besides the things they didn't like or preferred not to eat, such as poached eggs/mushrooms/tomatoes or whatever. Loads of people don't like everything that's offered with a full English or even a full English. It's not yet compulsory. They just asked for the sausages etc not to be put on the plate.

In this situation, they were the guests and the others were the hosts.

But they did not offer any choice themselves at their own place. This makes their behaviour rather hypocritical at best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I think that's right. The nature of this competition is that you see what the other B&Bs have to offer, which they were not prepared to do. If you bear in mind what you have quoted above, along with the bunkhouse comment, it's clear that they intended to be hostile to the White Bear. And their comments were in direct contrast to those of the two other couples, so I'm finding it hard to think they were anything but deliberately snide and nasty.
  • Options
    Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't get is, the glamping couple run a traditional B&B at the house, why didn't they just enter that into the competition?
    They just wanted some free publicity for the sheds. Also if you book into a shed you have to go and collect your own breakfast from the house and bring it back to the shed, so once again what ya see is not what ya get.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What good points about the Monsters from Loch Ness and breakfast-gate!

As you say the whole idea of the competition is to see and try what the others have to offer. Their turn over and done with, Sonia and Graham assumed they could do as they pleased. They assumed wrongly because by the last stay they had realised that it wasn't all about winning FIAB. They became aware of how badly they were perceived by the others in the comp and how badly they might appear to viewers. Why else did they suddenly eat the breakfast offered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are more than welcome. It used to confuse me too, until someone explained it a couple of years back. Why they don't just use the obvious calculation, which is how much they should have been paid in total, and how much they got in total, is beyond me! :confused:

BIB Because how would the winner be decided in a fair manner?

A £10 overpayment on a £50 room is much different to a £10 overpayment on a £100 room. Just like a £10 underpayment on a £50 room is much different to a £10 underpayment on a £100 room. :)
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sonia was insufferable with an almighty sense of self entitlement. Her husband was not far behind her. So glad they didn't win.

I liked Pat and her American husband (you can tell that I am hopeless with names) :blush: Pat and husband were very dignified yet forthright in their views. Something the large man from Lancashire could have taken pointers on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week on FIAB:

The competition starts at Greenways of Malvern, Worcestershire, where owner Geri Atterbury likes to provide a home from home.
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186423-d1811361-Reviews-Greenway_s_of_Malvern-Great_Malvern_Worcestershire_England.html

The second visit is to The Royal Forester in Bewdley, where owners Sean and Maxine hope to give their guests the royal treatment, and provide a trip to a safari park as entertainment.
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g528778-d1132113-Reviews-The_Royal_Forester-Bewdley_Worcestershire_England.html

The competition continues at Ferry Lodge in Holyhead, where not all of the guests appreciate the host's love of laminated signs, and the guests are baffled by a 'Welsh' breakfast.
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186443-d644930-Reviews-Ferry_Lodge_B_B_Guest_House-Holyhead_Island_of_Anglesey_North_Wales_Wales.html

The fourth visit is to Court Colman Manor in Bridgend, Wales, where hosts Sanjeev and Elinor attempt to entertain their guests with a lesson in fire making.
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186458-d596611-Reviews-Court_Colman_Manor-Bridgend_Vale_of_Glamorgan_Southern_Wales_Wales.html

It's the last day of the competition and tensions run high as the payments are finally revealed and the winner is announced.

Think this is correct. Looks like 2 nights in Worcestershire and 2 nights in Wales.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that ewoodie.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another week :)

£40 a night is very good value
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Long 'n lanky Luke.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Thats cheap!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Thats cheap!

She can't make a profit at £40 a night surely. Why is this room £60 and the other room £40? Is the £40 room a single?
This discussion has been closed.