You are going on a UK roadtrip, what 5 places do you visit?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The planes are grounded and the boats are on strike which means, UK holiday!!

So, you hire a car, book 2 weeks off and go for a trip to visit 5 places you have never been to in the UK but would like to visit, where are they & why?

Comments

• TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    I would go to Cornwall, the Highlands, lake district, Blackpool and that London. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lake District, liverpool, bristol, bolton, dorset
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    1) Salisbury first stop, beautiful city and the cathedral is awesome.

2) Next stop would be Stonehenge and Avebury, only a spit away from Salisbury and everyone should see Stonehenge before they die.

3) Further on towards the north and Oxford with its towers, a beautiful city.

4) The Cotswolds, idyllic visions of country villages long gone - but they aren't long gone, they still exist all the way from Oxford to Bath in the south.

5) Last stop before the glorious lakes is York, the most wonderful city in the whole of the UK, I say to all travellers who jump on planes to see exotic sites and who have never seen York, look at your own country first, you just may be pleased with what you find.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spar,dealer's house, pub, brothel, prison
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh good thread. My dad worked for the railway so I went to lots of places by train for nothing when I was a child and that leaves very few places that I've not been to. I've also moved around a lot from Newcastle to Cornwall. Agree about York but can't add it to my list as I've been there so many times.

Scottish highlands is relatively unknown to me and the New Forest and all by B roads to see what else I can find. And bits of Lancashire where my fella was born as that's all new to me.
  • Purple OrchidPurple Orchid Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The New Forest is amazing, loved it there.

Gets my vote :-)

Also St Ives in Cornwall, Hunstanton in North Norfolk, Glastonbury (the town) and Yorkshire, mainly the Castleford area for nice old memories...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Isle of Skye/Lewis/Iona, Lake District, Bath, Cornwall, Cardiff
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John O'Groats, Land's End, Glasgow, Bristol and then Slough.

In that order.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    Ooh good thread. My dad worked for the railway so I went to lots of places by train for nothing when I was a child and that leaves very few places that I've not been to. I've also moved around a lot from Newcastle to Cornwall. Agree about York but can't add it to my list as I've been there so many times.

Scottish highlands is relatively unknown to me and the New Forest and all by B roads to see what else I can find. And bits of Lancashire where my fella was born as that's all new to me.

You really should go if and when you get the opportunity, if you think Wales is beautiful then think again, the Scottish Highlands beats it hands down. D'ya know what? I think I love this island that I live on, every inch has its own beauty, even Port Talbot when you see the industry on one side of the road and the mountains on the other. I'm lucky to have been born here and to still live here.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bath, Bristol, Snowdonia, Scottish Highlands and Islands, Edinburgh.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Middlesbrough
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Hull
    Scunthorpe
    Staines

not really, Bath (never been), Dorset (never been), Exmoor, Peaks, Lakes
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for the Highlands of Scotland here as I don't think there is any area in England and Wales I have not visited in a work capacity. Friends of mine regularly go up to the East coast of Scotland and rave about it [well north of Edinburgh].

I have never been to Northern Ireland so would probably take a recce around there.
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    John O'Groats, Land's End, Glasgow, Bristol and then Slough.

In that order.

I'd also 'do' Land's End and John O'Groats, but would start at one, and finish at the other - with overnight stops at Aberystwyth (Welsh coast) - Ambleside (Lake District) - and Fort Augustus (Loch Ness)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Kitchen,
    My Living Room,
    My Hallway,
    My Stairs,
    My Bed.
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Tombstone wrote: »
    Another vote for the Highlands of Scotland here as I don't think there is any area in England and Wales I have not visited in a work capacity. Friends of mine regularly go up to the East coast of Scotland and rave about it [well north of Edinburgh].

I have never been to Northern Ireland so would probably take a recce around there.
    The Antrim coast is very nice with a lot to see and any of the loughs are worth a vist as they are much bigger than any on the mainland or if you are into ancient monuments you could go south and visit Newgrange which make stonehenge seem modern.:)
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkshire, mainly the Castleford area for nice old memories...

My brother lives in Castleford :) It's changed a lot recently.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Brownsea Island to look at the red squirrels.
    Lundy/Puffin Island to look at the puffins.
    Neolithic Orkney
    Chapel Island.
    Bryher Isles of Scilly.

I love islands and I haven't been to these.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we had decent weather all year round and were slightly closer to the equator, we'd never need to go abroad!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    bob.cryer wrote: »
    If we had decent weather all year round and were slightly closer to the equator, we'd never need to go abroad!

It isn't the weather for me. Abroad is meeting new people and talking to them in their own language.

It is finding a restaurant that doesn't have pictures outside or English stodge on the menu. I told a friend once "I can eat toasted sandwiches at home. I don't come here to eat that rubbish!"

It is eating new food that is local to the area.

It is escaping the horrors of England for a week or two.
  • HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob.cryer wrote: »

If my sister had bollocks, she'd be my brother!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brownsea Island to look at the red squirrels.
    Lundy/Puffin Island to look at the puffins.
    Neolithic Orkney
    Chapel Island.
    Bryher Isles of Scilly.

I love islands and I haven't been to these.

I haven't been to Chapel Island or Orkney but stayed for a long weekend on Lundy and highly recommend it as an experience in solitude. Isles of Scilly are gorgeous, I used to treat myself to a day trip when I lived in Cornwall and have been back for holidays since, one of the best days I've had was mid September a few years ago when the tides were unusually low, walking from St Mary's to St Martins over the sand and having lunch at the pub. Bryher is gorgeous too, I love the church there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    You really should go if and when you get the opportunity, if you think Wales is beautiful then think again, the Scottish Highlands beats it hands down. D'ya know what? I think I love this island that I live on, every inch has its own beauty, even Port Talbot when you see the industry on one side of the road and the mountains on the other. I'm lucky to have been born here and to still live here.

I agree. When I was little and everyone at school was going off to Spain for holidays to bake on Costa del Hot or wherever I felt so left out as all I could say was a train trip or a week in Cornwall but looking back there are so few places that I know about in this country (inc. Sottish Highlands, it's a push to know which bits I've not visited) so I can explore the world now knowing I appreciate this country all the more. My husband is a Blackburn lad and thought it was awful but I thought it was amazing to be positioned between the Lake and the coast. I've even grown to love the Fens from an aesthetic point of view as a photographer and illustrator.
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think people ever really appreciate the areas they live in. I was brought up in Newquay and everyone says 'that must have been fantastic'. I hated the damn place - still do.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of these places are very far apart! You'd spend your whole time on the motorway if you wanted to include everywhere in one trip!

Personally I have at least one holiday in the UK every year (I go camping) and I love it here. We've got loads of wonderful places to visit. From the places I've been, I've loved Dorset, Northumberland, the Lake District, Norfolk, Snowdonia, Derbyshire... Some of the next on my list are the Highlands, the Scottish islands (but so far away! I'd need at least a couple of weeks to make it worth while), Cornwall and Pemrokeshire.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    With the state of the road works, congestion, petrol prices, and the cost of staying in England I think I would only go somewhere close to home. I live in the Midlands but don't have the patience or the inclination to drive all the way up to the Scottish Highlands or down to Cornwall.

Now if I had a helicopter and unlimited fuel reserves, they'd be the top two to visit on my list, followed by the Jurassic coast in Dorset, Bath, and places like the quaint Victorian Northern pockets of wealth such as Harrogate.