Options

new girl

m1pnkm1pnk Posts: 809
Forum Member
✭✭
you can grab the first episode of this new series with a quick google......it looked from the preview a while ago that this could be a fun prog.....but the preview i saw turns out to be all the funny bits.....its like seeing a trailer for a film and waste your money going to see it and find out the trailer showed all the best bits.......i can see this being chopped very soon.....a lot like the paul reiser show.

Comments

• Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has the honour of being the first show axed from my new weekly calendar of shows from the US. I managed 8 minutes of it before nearly wanting to gouge my eyes out!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I thought it was alright, nothing special or anything though. It made me laugh a few times so i'll probably give it another shot when it starts properly (i see Channel 4/E4 has picked it up). I'd watch Zooey Deschanel read the phone book, so it's got that going for it i guess (i can't stand her quirky singing though, so i already really dislike the title sequence...). The characters did feel under-developed though, they were all basically cliches, and it seemed odd that they were all acting like the best of friends after less than a week of living together (this was in like 5 minutes of screentime), i think they could have easily had at least a dozen episodes of them being awkward around her before they all start to get along.

For a pilot i'd give it 6/10.
  • Options
    wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I thought it was alright, nothing special or anything though. It made me laugh a few times so i'll probably give it another shot when it starts properly (i see Channel 4/E4 has picked it up). I'd watch Zooey Deschanel read the phone book, so it's got that going for it i guess (i can't stand her quirky singing though, so i already really dislike the title sequence...). The characters did feel under-developed though, they were all basically cliches, and it seemed odd that they were all acting like the best of friends after less than a week of living together (this was in like 5 minutes of screentime), i think they could have easily had at least a dozen episodes of them being awkward around her before they all start to get along.

For a pilot i'd give it 6/10.

Agree with all you said, except I didn't really mind the singing. Will give it another try as it's Zooey Deschanel, but might wait until it's on E4.

It's already obvious who she will get together with, the one who was hesitant to start with will fall in love her but the "douchebag jar" one will get there first. Hoping she doesn't get together with any of them, but we know it's going to happen eventually, either that or it's cancelled before that happens.

Although they're on different networks, it doesn't give me hope for the other comedies I'm watching just because I like the lead actress - 2 Broke Girls (Kat Dennings), Apartment 23 (Krysten Ritter).
  • Options
    wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the second episode, it was ok, but I only laughed once surprisingly at Schmidt. I'm not sure Zooey is going to be enough to keep me watching, but I'll give it one more episode. The supporting characters aren't bad, they're likeable enough, especially Nick, and Schmidt was better than last episode, not sure about the new guy will give him another episode to settle in, but they along with Jess aren't being give right material to work with.

It's already been picked up for a full season, so it has plenty of time to improve, if I still not keen after the next episode, I'll give it a few months and come back to it as I want to like it.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    m1pnk wrote: »
    .......i can see this being chopped very soon.....

Back when you made this comment I rolled my eyes. I knew this show was not only NOT going to get chopped "very soon," it would be a hit. And that is what has happened.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only seen the first episode, but really liked it, and Zooey is going to become a huuuuge star off the back of it, rather than the cult-kooky-indie standby she currently is... and I actually like her singing, I even have both the She & Him albums, the first one especially is lovely, and I'm sure their next record will get a far bigger push now New Girl has been such a hit...
  • Options
    nainznainz Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't watch the show, bailed after the pilot but it had a full season pick up confirmed today, http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/foxs-breakout-comedy-new-girl-gets-full-season-pickup/

Suprised at it's ratings in the US though:eek:
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    The second episode was OK, better than I expected, and I'll keep with this show. I'm not sure why I'm liking it, the concept struck me as if it would be a new version of Friends, and as I have never watched Friends I wasn't going to be too keen on this. However, it fills up a slot in the day and is enjoyable enough, strangely like Cougar Town does.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always liked Zooey (the slightly kookier version of her sister Emily) but watching the trailers was enough for me. There's nothing original about it - it's your typical "gorgeous girl has trouble getting men as they think she's a geek and don't notice her looks because she wears glasses" story.

Nice article from the guys at TWOP on how Zooey always plays the same character: http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/new_girl/new-girl-shes-just-being-zooey-deschanel-characters-photos.php
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Watched this but personally didn't find it funny at all. Maybe Im not part of the demo this is aimed at? Also, it seems the lead actress is a huge star and I feel really "out of it" cos I have no clue as to who she is or what she has been in before! Anyway, this is one that's not for me! Ill stick with Modern Family, Raising Hope and Community.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the second ep was better than the first. I'll be sticking with it for a while. Certainly longer than I will with 2 Broke Girls, I suspect.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Nice article from the guys at TWOP on how Zooey always plays the same character: http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/new_girl/new-girl-shes-just-being-zooey-deschanel-characters-photos.php

From the article:
    Zooey Deschanel is polarizing, to say the least While 99 percent of the planet adores her and her adorable adorableness, others find her shtick irritating.

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds her both adorable and irritating. I find her cute act cheap and manipulative, but somehow that doesn't stop it from working even if I resent it. But I won't watch a show that looks pretty bad just because of the lead.
  • Options
    wwillattwwillatt Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this show mainly because it had zooey in it. The first episode was ok but the second actually did make me laugh out loud a few times, it looks a good show with alot of promise and im definately going to keep watching, im not suprised its doing well in the US and has been picked up for a full season already!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Back when you made this comment I rolled my eyes. I knew this show was not only NOT going to get chopped "very soon," it would be a hit. And that is what has happened.

well thats very big of you......its not original or ground breaking in any form though......just right for the average american or canadian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well thats very big of you......its not original or ground breaking in any form though......just right for the average american or canadian

I haven't even watched it. I don't care about it, but I knew it would be popular, because it really IS the kind of thing that appeals to the average American (Canadians aren't counted in the US ratings). Your original post seemed to imply that just because you didn't like it that meant it was bound to fail in America.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't even watched it. I don't care about it, but I knew it would be popular, because it really IS the kind of thing that appeals to the average American (Canadians aren't counted in the US ratings). Your original post seemed to imply that just because you didn't like it that meant it was bound to fail in America.

i mentioned canadians as your the poor cousin but i wanted you to be involved.......and then i learn that you have not even see the prog......please dont pass judgement untill you have done your due diligence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i mentioned canadians as your the poor cousin but i wanted you to be involved.......and then i learn that you have not even see the prog......please dont pass judgement untill you have done your due diligence.

I didn't pass judgment on the programme. I passed judgment on you for assuming that just because YOU didn't like something that it would be be a flop.:rolleyes: Of course now that it is a hit, are you at all humble about making a dumb prediction? Nope, you just have to lash out at somebody who notes what you said at the top of the thread.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't like it and surprised to hear it got a full season pick up - there's much better programmes out there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't pass judgment on the programme. I passed judgment on you for assuming that just because YOU didn't like something that it would be be a flop.:rolleyes: Of course now that it is a hit, are you at all humble about making a dumb prediction? Nope, you just have to lash out at somebody who notes what you said at the top of the thread.

if you read my opening again....i dont actually say that i dont like it.....i was pissed off that the preview showed all the quirky bits and nothing was held back for the main show......i got the same impact that the new paul reiser show gave.......and it will end up the same way.....mark my words
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I've always liked Zooey (the slightly kookier version of her sister Emily) but watching the trailers was enough for me. There's nothing original about it - it's your typical "gorgeous girl has trouble getting men as they think she's a geek and don't notice her looks because she wears glasses" story.

Best to watch the episode rather than judging from the trailer. It's not about a pretty girl who's overlooked because she wears glasses, more that she's a bit of a fruit cake, which undoes her hotness. Something the episode makes.direct reference to. Personally, I loved it. Funnier than the majority of UK sitcoms which we're subjected to here.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best to watch the episode rather than judging from the trailer. It's not about a pretty girl who's overlooked because she wears glasses, more that she's a bit of a fruit cake, which undoes her hotness..

That's just your opinion. I think it makes her even sexier.
  • Options
    tq21tq21 Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first 2 episodes of this, but have now given up and axed it from the list of shows I watch
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    That's just your opinion. I think it makes her even sexier.

Oh, I agree. That's just how the show's pitching it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Its a winner for me.
  • Options
    gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    Anyone else getting a bit of a vaguely Big Bang Theory-esque feel from this? I know they're not in any way similar, but for some reason the show reminds me of it.

I'm another one who started watching just because Zooey was in it, but I'm actually really enjoying it. I don't think there's a lot original here, but it's pretty well made, and I'm warming to the characters, especially Schmidt. Just hope the writing picks up a bit, because there's so much potential for this show to be exceptional, it's just resting at quite good at the moment IMO.