Options

The Indian Doctor..series 2.

guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
Forum Member
✭✭
Glad to see a new series starting next Monday (27 Feb) at 2.15pm, I thought the first series was excellent.

http://digiguide.tv/pick-of-the-day/27+February+2012/drama-the-indian-doctor/

Comments

• Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see a new series starting next Monday (27 Feb) at 2.15pm, I thought the first series was excellent.

http://digiguide.tv/pick-of-the-day/27+February+2012/drama-the-indian-doctor/

I agree. After the success of Call the Midwife, they should have tried this story of the early days of the NHS in an evening slot.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a BBC Daytime commission, and one that bolsters the BBC's daytime output. In that sense it would be wrong to move it to an evening slot
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is great too, the trailer for it looks really good.
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this, I really enjoyed the first series. Can't wait!
  • Options
    LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    I agree. After the success of Call the Midwife, they should have tried this story of the early days of the NHS in an evening slot.

Unless I'm mistaken, they repeated the last series in an evening slot. Hopefully they'll do the same with this one. I'll record it next week to make sure I don't miss it. The first series was very good.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S1 was excellent.

Good story, good writing and fine acting - by Sanjeev Bashar in particular.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I loved this this and didn't expect a new series. So unexpected but I'm majorly happy and excited!
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really loved the first series and delighted to see it back on. Can't wait something to look forward to when i come back from work. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems I'm not the only one who enjoyed it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    S1 was excellent.

Good story, good writing and fine acting - by Sanjeev Bashar in particular.

I went to college with Sanjeev Bhaskar (OBE) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only 5 episodes 45mins long..Shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It's a BBC Daytime commission, and one that bolsters the BBC's daytime output. In that sense it would be wrong to move it to an evening slot

May be I am wrong, but I thought that BBC was supposed to schedule programmes with the viewers in mind, not because of bureaucratic red tape. Apart from a few BBC pen-pushers who cares which department commissioned it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May be I am wrong, but I thought that BBC was supposed to schedule programmes with the viewers in mind, not because of bureaucratic red tape. Apart from a few BBC pen-pushers who cares which department commissioned it?
    They were told by the BBC Trust to improve the daytime programming on BBC one, and to provide more distinctive and original programming. This process started with short dramas like The Indian Doctor, Land Girls and Moving On, and continued with the recent 32 Brinkburn Street, The Jury (and others).

From July 2010:
    BBC Daytime controller Liam Keelan has defended the corporation's daytime schedule after criticism from the BBC Trust.

Keelan said that daytime has gone through a "pretty significant shift" in recent years and so it was "interesting" to read the Trust's calls for improvement.

On Monday, the BBC's governing body called on the corporation to move away from daytime programmes that viewers perceive to "lack quality and originality". Particular criticism was levelled at the amount of property and collectibles shows in the schedule.

The Trust said that the overall ambition of daytime on BBC One and BBC Two is not meeting audience expectations, and BBC management must now explore options for improving the quality and distinctiveness of output within current funding levels.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a239643/bbc-daytime-controller-defends-output.html

Further to that, I believe that BBC Daytime has a programme budget which is separate from the rest of BBC one.

Now, if that budget has been used to commission programmes to fill that daytime slot, then it is only correct that the programme is shown in its intended slot, and only correct that it is used in order to provide that original and distinctive programming as required by The Trust and the Controller of BBC Daytime.

To do otherwise would defeat the object of trying to improve daytime programming.

And to move all of the good/interesting programmes away from the daytime slots would simply leave BBC one
    daytime programming back where it started. Bureaucratic red tape has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were told by the BBC Trust to improve the daytime programming on BBC one, and to provide more distinctive and original programming. This process started with short dramas like The Indian Doctor, Land Girls and Moving On, and continued with the recent 32 Brinkburn Street, The Jury (and others).

From July 2010:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a239643/bbc-daytime-controller-defends-output.html

Further to that, I believe that BBC Daytime has a programme budget which is separate from the rest of BBC one.

Now, if that budget has been used to commission programmes to fill that daytime slot, then it is only correct that the programme is shown in its intended slot, and only correct that it is used in order to provide that original and distinctive programming as required by The Trust and the Controller of BBC Daytime.

To do otherwise would defeat the object of trying to improve daytime programming.

And to move all of the good/interesting programmes away from the daytime slots would simply leave BBC one
    daytime programming back where it started. Bureaucratic red tape has nothing to do with it.

and people who are stuck at home or work nights are entitled to decent new tv we pay our license fees and shouldnt have to be left with repeats of murder she diagnosed
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    ooo brilliant, must remember to sky+ it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From July 2010:

Could you explain why showing a programme that has been a big hit during the day, in an evening slot would defeat the object of trying to improve daytime programming.

On that basis programmes that had been hits on BBC2 or BBC3 would never get promoted.

If the daytime commissioner is so pleased with a programme that they think it could attract a big audience in the evenings, then it is only a matter of sorting out the internal bureaucracy for the programme to be "sold" to the evening schedulers, giving the daytime people a fresh budget to produce another drama.
  • Options
    Rose BuckRose Buck Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Moving on was a daytime commission and it was repeated at 10.35pm so there is every chance the likes of Indian Doctor and Land Girls will make their way onto primetime now the BBC is having to make big cuts and show more repeats. Both The Indian Doctor and Land Girls are perfect for early Sunday evening and I am sure they will be repeated in a later time slot at some point in the next few years.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Could you explain why showing a programme that has been a big hit during the day, in an evening slot would defeat the object of trying to improve daytime programming.

On that basis programmes that had been hits on BBC2 or BBC3 would never get promoted.

If the daytime commissioner is so pleased with a programme that they think it could attract a big audience in the evenings, then it is only a matter of sorting out the internal bureaucracy for the programme to be "sold" to the evening schedulers, giving the daytime people a fresh budget to produce another drama.

It defeats the purpose if it's supposed to be improving daytime, but airs in an evening slot, which is what you seem to want.
    Evening gets the quality, Daytime gets the repeats and lightweight lifestyle shows.

No problem if it's repeated in an evening slot at some point.
    What slot did the last series repeat get in the Evening schedule?
    That reminds me I haven't watched Brinkburn St or Moving On S2 yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indian Doctor was shown at 10:45pm on BBC Wales, on at 4:30pm and 5:30pm on BBC HD. Its two showings on BBC1 were both at 2:15pm.

If Call The Midwife had been a daytime commission, would BBC bureaucracy mean that it had would be banned from an evening BBC1 broadcast.

Daytime gets much smaller audiences so it is common sense that any programme that could get a big evening audience should be shown in the evenings. Only an idiot would show the best and most appealing programmes at 2:15pm. That is so obvious why do I even have to say it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget this starts tomorrow..
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So glad they made a 2nd series, really enjoyed the 1st. Have set sky+ ready for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it should be pretty obvious, but here goes .....

A quality programme gets commissioned specifically to improve the daytime schedule, , it is well-received, daytime viewers enjoy it, and it boosts the image of daytime programming.

If that programme is then moved ("promoted") to the evening then logic dictates that there is now a gap in the daytime schedule. Daytime viewers lose out, the BBC Daytime Controller has failed in his remit to improve Daytime's output, and another programme has to be found to fill the gap. So moving it has defeated the object of commissioning it in the first place.

Easy really.

Not that it should really matter to you, as these programmes tend to get a repeat early evenings at some future date (this has happened with Land Girls, The Indian Doctor, and most notably in the past, Doctors)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Call The Midwife had been a daytime commission, would BBC bureaucracy mean that it had would be banned from an evening BBC1 broadcast.
    *sigh*

It has already been explained to you, it is NOT a case of any supposed BBC bureaucracy. It is simple common sense logic whilst fulfilling a remit. And nowhere has anyone said that any evening showing is banned, so the use of such emotive language is going a bit OTT.

And anyway, if you are so enthused by this programming, you do have an opportunity to catch it when it gets repeated later on BBC one or the BBC HD channel in the evening. So you, or the evening audience, will not miss out.
    Daytime gets much smaller audiences so it is common sense that any programme that could get a big evening audience should be shown in the evenings.
    So the daytime audience should get crap programming and the dregs of the BBC's offerings just because it's a small audience. That hardly seems right to me, even if it makes sense to you. But there you go - a couple of posters have tried to give you the reasons, you refuse to accept them, so there is little point in continuing.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the last series and couldn't believe it was actually on of an afternoon.
    Having read the previous posts, I now understand.
    It reminded me a little of a Heartbeat type of series but I so enjoyed it and am looking forward to this one.
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really am looking forward to this i really enjoyed the first series and since both it on DVD. And can't wait for it to start really like Sanjeev Baskar.:)