Album Covers

2»

Comments

• mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm fully aware of that. In the 1970s most members of the biggest bands in the world could walk down the street without being recognised, except maybe by a very few.

Even today that is true for many bands. Brian johnson of AC/DC said that the best thing about his job was that not only does he do something he loves with one of the biggest bands in the world, but at the end of the tour he can hang up the cap and waistcoat he wears on stage, put on a jacket and no one recognises him.

A considerable amout of singles chart music would fall in to that catagory. ;)

Image isn't just relevant to chart music, is it though?

Even AC/DC have a well defined visual identity, the logo, the devil horns, the short trousers....it's simple but effective.

The Beatles, Bowie, Genesis, The Who, Dr Feelgood, Aerosmith, VU, all have a visual iconography to complement their music. Pop music is a multimedia experience at times and there is nothing wrong with that.

I love the nihilistic faces of The Clash staring at me on the cover of their 'White' album, or the afrofuturism of Parliament or Earth, Wind and Fire.
  • Nowhere DanNowhere Dan Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice idea for a thread. U2: Achtung Baby. :)
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Image isn't just relevant to chart music, is it though?

Even AC/DC have a well defined visual identity, the logo, the devil horns, the short trousers....it's simple but effective.

The Beatles, Bowie, Genesis, The Who, Dr Feelgood, Aerosmith, VU, all have a visual iconography to complement their music. Pop music is a multimedia experience at times and there is nothing wrong with that.

I love the nihilistic faces of The Clash staring at me on the cover of their 'White' album, or the afrofuturism of Parliament or Earth, Wind and Fire.

Oh yes, absolutely agree. Every band has an image, whether it is the way they dress, the artwork on their albums, their band logo, it is impossible to separate the two.