Options

Whats your best part of Christmas

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Actually I've seen it happen with the kids of two enlightened parents I know.

The kids, I'm told, also thoroughly enjoyed being one up on their school mates and other friends by announcing there was no Santa Claus.......

What do you mean by ''enlightened''?

And how old are these children your talking about? Because all kids get to an age were it's great fun to tell other (younger) children theres no Santa. My son is 9 and at that annoying 'know it all' stage. His younger sister has none of it though because she WANTS to believe, the same as he did at her age.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    HA! :D

Sorry but that gennuenly made me laugh.

Seen it in action.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seen it in action.
    Seen what?
    Perhaps if you described what you meant by ''enlightened parents'' I'd understand more?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    I don't really *get* why people say that you can only appreciate Christmas or the spirit of the thing if there are children around. The epithet "children make Christmas, don't they?" quite frankly baffles and offends me.

Greedy, spoilt children who are allowed to wake up their parents at 3.00am.

Children asking, if not insisting that their parents spend literally hundreds of pounds on them even if Mum and Dad can't afford it.

Children not learning nor understanding that Christmas is supposed to be a time of family, GIVING (not getting), playing stooooopid games and generally not thinking about yourself.

What's for me? me me me me me and I'm only 9.

Sorry, don't get it. Yes, I'm one of those child-free by choice people before you ask!

And yes...my sister and I had GREAT Christmasses when we were young. We were beside ourselves one year when we got, errr...roller skates but that seemed to be a big deal in our family.

Hmmmnnn...you think I'm one of those "ooh young people of today" grinches. Probably.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having all the families (my own and my sibling's ones) under one roof altogether. There is some noise, some fuss, someone taking another's space on the sofa, floor, chair, etc but it's great to be there together this one time a year.

Like you OP I like the run-up to it as well, not so much the panto's but the rest of it too such the planning for presents, the making of the food (although I'm not doing it this year!!), the time of work/school, the quality time with your own family, coming back for delicious seconds on Boxing Day and of course the decorating. I've not decorated yet (long story) but I've announced that I intend to go mad with it this year!! I'd love it to be snowing this year but I'll enjoy it with or without it.

Definitely feeling the Christmas cheer - whether or not I'm skint or sober. ;):D
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seen what?
    Perhaps if you described what you meant by ''enlightened parents'' I'd understand more?

Happy kids of enlightened parents who don't go overboard about 'christmas' and explain to their kids the myths that surround it - and the purpose.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mother's (vegetarian) Christmas cooking.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I like seeing my children getting excited on Christmas eve waiting for the big day

I also like the bit after Xmas dinner,when you are stuffed to the brim and you just chill out with a drink,happy days :)

Merry Christmas everyone

The annual stuffing by the Opsreys of the Scarlets in the boxing day derby rugby match. Everything else can literally go to hell.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tigers Eye wrote: »
    I don't really *get* why people say that you can only appreciate Christmas or the spirit of the thing if there are children around. The epithet "children make Christmas, don't they?" quite frankly baffles and offends me.

I do agree with this, it isn't 'all about the kids'. As much as I can appreciate that Santa won't be coming down any bloody chimney (!) and the rest of the story, as an adult I still love Christmas and would expect that any other adult - with or without kids - who are feeling the Christmas mood would appreciate too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite not being a Christmas man at all, the very best part of it is spending time with family, which the majority of us do far little of as it is. Pretend you like the people you're with, even if you don't. A little wellbeing wouldn't kill us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy kids of enlightened parents who don't go overboard about 'christmas' and explain to their kids the myths that surround it - and the purpose.

I don't go overboard at christmas. Unless you think that encouraging my kids to get excited about father christmas is going overboard. I fail to see how taking that away from a kid would make them happier.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the travelling to get home for Christmas, and to get back. But the bit in the middle is great.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Children asking, if not insisting that their parents spend literally hundreds of pounds on them even if Mum and Dad can't afford it.

Children not learning nor understanding that Christmas is supposed to be a time of family, GIVING (not getting), playing stooooopid games and generally not thinking about yourself.

Sorry, don't get it. Yes, I'm one of those child-free by choice people before you ask!

And yes...my sister and I had GREAT Christmasses when we were young. We were beside ourselves one year when we got, errr...roller skates but that seemed to be a big deal in our family.

Hmmmnnn...you think I'm one of those "ooh young people of today" grinches. Probably.

I'd love christmas weather I had kids or not because thats just me but I'm well aware that not everyone shares my enthusiasm.
    I do think though that a person would have to be pretty miserable to not get caught up in the excitment once they had kids, it's not about spoiling them, it's about the sheer magic of it all.

PS...Kids are only as greedy and spoilt as you raise them to be. Believe it or not there are plenty of kids today who would be ''beside themselves'' at getting a pair of roller skates off Santa, why play it down like it's a satsuma or a lump of cole? Roller Skates are a great present!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Heartache wrote: »
    I hate the travelling to get home for Christmas, and to get back. But the bit in the middle is great.:)

True. Although it's lovely to hear Chris Rea's song "Driving home for Christmas" when you're actually driving home for Christmas!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like the rest of the year - I am miserable at Christmas as well.

I used to make an effort when my kids were little - but thankfully they're older now and my charade can cease.

:)

Roll on 2nd January.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Eating the leftover Swede out the pan (my favourite part of the Xmas dinner). Mmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything - it's the most wonderful time of the year. I love the build-up - it sort-of starts for me in September when there's panto auditions and the first tentative rehearsals, and no-one's really that bothered about learning lines because "Christmas is ages away". Then in October and November the rehearsals start heating up, and I start buying Christmas presents and getting quite excited. Then the start of December, the decorations go up and I get really excited because everything feels so Christmassy. It's been fantastic this year with the early snow, on my free lessons from college we've been going down into the town to make snowmen and have huge snowball fights. That feels really Christmassy to me :) Then it gets to halfway through December - namely, today - when loads of people have their decorations up, there's ten days to go, all the presents are bought and wrapped and sitting under the Christmas tree (the ones that Santa isn't delivering, that is), and last night I went to see my little brother and sister's nativity, and then we're all in a big panic because the panto's first night is on Friday and a lot of stuff isn't ready yet so it's a mad rush, and I love it because it's a sign that Christmas is close :D

And then Christmas Eve is my favourite day of the year, because there's the anticipation of the next day with all the great things that are going to be happening. And there's great telly, presents, family being together, snow, presents, friends coming round, pantomime, lots of Guitar Hero and Wii Sports tournaments, playing board games until our eyes hurt, hot pork sandwiches on Christmas Eve as we listen to my Mom reading "Twas The Night Before Christmas", the full turkey works on Christmas day and then countless days of turkey sandwiches afterwards, advent calendars, going for a walk up the forest near our house to look at all the holly and wrapped up warm, shopping in the sales afterwards, everyone we know just generally being happy and festive, christmas trees.

I LOVE THE WHOLE DAMN THING.

What a lovely post ,it even got me feeling a bit excited :pwhen i haven't been feeling Christmassy at all this year:o

Anyway the best part of Christmas for me now all m,y Children are grown up is seeing the excitement on my Grandchildrens faces ,when they can't wait to show me what Santa has brought them:D

Also really like boxing day when we have a big day at our house when all the Children thier patners and Granchildren come over ,where we have a big buffet and play party games and WII tournaments:D
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there are plenty of kids today who would be ''beside themselves'' at getting a pair of roller skates off Santa.

I know two kids who are always besides themselves whatever they get-they're Siamese twins!:p:D
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True. Although it's lovely to hear Chris Rea's song "Driving home for Christmas" when you're actually driving home for Christmas!

Wish l was, l'll be on a coach for 3hrs there and back again, but Rammstein will be keeping me company not Chris.:D
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bah humbug. I have just returned from my daughters carol concert in Church. It was absolutly wonderful. Lovely singing, smiling children happy parents. The true spirit of Christmas was tangible and not a pressie in sight.:D
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    January, Although I come out of hibernation for stuffing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you were going to say it was rubbish there! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack Daniels + Coke with Turkey, forget your Beer and Wine.

And having a proper White Christmas, I was offered the chance of spending xmas down Cornwall, but its not the same unlike being here in the hills with everything covered in white. And hopefully as everyones tucking away into their Dinner, I'll have a few hours of Moorland freedom :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    January, Although I come out of hibernation for stuffing.

I'll do anything for good stuffing! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The kids, I'm told, also thoroughly enjoyed being one up on their school mates and other friends by announcing there was no Santa Claus.......

I'm sure they did. :rolleyes:
    I'd love christmas weather I had kids or not because thats just me but I'm well aware that not everyone shares my enthusiasm.

Same here, but I don't have kids. It's still a lovely time of year, it's nice to see people enjoying themselves and being happy (well except on DS) and almost everywhere all trimmed up. :D