Corrupt XP install?

Hi,

Hoped someone may have some pointers.....

Having issues with a Toshiba laptop running Windows XP…..I installed AVG and ran a full scan, it mentioned some kind of threat so said yes to its removal. But on rebooting the system it doesn’t get further than the XP splash screen; just a black screen. Booting into Safe Mode worked initially but doesn’t any longer, I can get no further than a list of driver files and their locations. So I can only suspect that AVG removed some crucial system files.

I’ve tried various options under F8 and booting from the XP CD to try a repair install but that gets no further than loading the relevant drivers before it produces a BSOD (check for viruses, run a chkdsk /f etc.). I’ve downloaded a Dr Web Live CD and run a full virus scan using that but that didn’t find any potential threats.

Is there anything I can do before completely wiping the disk and reinstalling the OS?

Comments

• max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    At this stage, you may as well just wipe it and start again. Otherwise you could spend hours trying various fixes and even if you do get Windows booting again, you won't know if there are further problems waiting for you.

I'd also avoid putting AVG back on. I see far too many problems with it.
  • JimmyCarrFanJimmyCarrFan Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Thanks, thought that might be the case.

I'm reading that AVG isn't as good as it once was.....I'll try Avast! instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    That happened because the AVG has deleted some important files of your booting directory. Now you can only do is to re-format your computer again. And dont use AVG or Avast, use quickhill or Kaspersky as these will never show you such problems,
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Razor1911 wrote: »
    That happened because the AVG has deleted some important files of your booting directory. Now you can only do is to re-format your computer again. And dont use AVG or Avast, use quickhill or Kaspersky as these will never show you such problems,

You can never be 100% sure of this :eek:
    Forum Member
    I've used Kaspersky in the past and was very impressed.
    Forum Member
    Every single AV can show such problems.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    One thing you could try if you have a real XP CD you can run the setup and use the repair install option (choose the existing windows partition, then on the following screen press R). This will retain all programs and user data but replace all the system files with fresh ones.

The issue I suspect you are going to have is that Toshiba tend to use recovery CDs that are image-based.
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    One thing you could try if you have a real XP CD you can run the setup and use the repair install option (choose the existing windows partition, then on the following screen press R). This will retain all programs and user data but replace all the system files with fresh ones.

The issue I suspect you are going to have is that Toshiba tend to use recovery CDs that are image-based.

That was my original intention but the XP CD doesn't get that far. It blue screens before I'm given that option :cry:
  • Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An XP repair install could fix it, I usually give that a go before a full format install.
    Forum Member
    An XP repair install could fix it, I usually give that a go before a full format install.

See posts #1 and #9 :)
  • 2000motels2000motels Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Razor1911 wrote: »
    I use Microsoft Security Essentials and have never had a problem with it,
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the BSOD message?
    Forum Member
    That was my original intention but the XP CD doesn't get that far. It blue screens before I'm given that option :cry:

Usually when that happens, wiping the hard drive and reinstalling is the only option. Sometimes you may not even be able to use the XP CD to format the drive. If that happens, you'll need to connect the drive to another computer or use a Linux or boot utility disk to format it first.
  • wod1wod1 Posts: 6,152
    Forum Member

when you insert the cd to repair windows, make sure you press on the keyboard to boot from the cd otherwise it will try to load windows off the hard drive.

you could try from a command prompt off running sfc /scannow to check the system files.
    Forum Member
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    What's the BSOD message?

Not sure what the exact STOP error message number was but it was along the lines of:
    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
    Forum Member
    wod1 wrote: »
    when you insert the cd to repair windows, make sure you press on the keyboard to boot from the cd otherwise it will try to load windows off the hard drive.

Yep, it definitely boots into the Windows XP Setup Program but blue screens right after all the necessary drivers appear to be loaded.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Just re-read the OP.. this is probably 1 of 2 things..

Incorrect/Missing drivers for the SATA controller. Easiest fix is to set the SATA controller to IDE/Compatibility mode in the BIOS, otherwise load the drivers for it via the F6+floppy method or make a new disk with them slipstreamed on.

The hard disk itself is actually buggered. If you run Seagate Seatools the tests should be able to confirm if this is the case.
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    The hard disk itself is actually buggered. If you run Seagate Seatools the tests should be able to confirm if this is the case.

Dodgy hard drive is what I assumed the first time I came across a similar problem. But it turned out that the Windows installation was so screwed up that you could no longer boot from a Windows disk - either to carry out a clean install or run the recovery console. The drive would also cause other Windows machine to crash when slaved or connected via USB. I've also seen it a number of times since, and on each occasion, wiping the drive via Linux solved the problem and allowed XP to be installed.

Of course, a dodgy hard drive can't be ruled out, so either way, a diagnostic scan should be run.
    Forum Member
    So....I've blanked the drive using Darik's Boot and Nuke. Have tested the RAM and HDD for errors using Eurosoft's PC-Check and that comes up clear.

I can't install Windows XP, Vista or 7 (32 and 64 bit) on it due to a message similar to the following:

"Windows cannot copy files requested for installation. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error Code: 0x80070241"

I know the media is OK because I've used those DVDs to install Windows successfully on other systems. Changing the SATA Controller to Compatibility mode makes no difference. I've even tried installing Windows from an external USB DVD drive and also a USB stick.

Any other ideas welcome!