Options

Anyone watching World Cup, but not normally football fan.

ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am looking forward to it, but don't like club football.

Comments

• Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never watch football or even talk about it. Hate it!

Now rugby - that's a gentleman's game played by real enthusiasts and sportsmen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Do you reckon they will bring on a sub?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    No I don't see why anybody who didn't like Football would I can't imagine doing anything more boring
  • Options
    Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    The World Cup / Euro is the only time I watch football - I don't support a club but for some reason I can get behind a national team. Even though they're all overpaid prats!
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I don't see why anybody who didn't like Football would I can't imagine doing anything more boring

Yeah but you could suck the fun out of the most fun thing in the world James.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I sometimes watch the world cup but only to support England. Any other time I'm not interested. I haven't decided if I'll watch it this time round.
  • Options
    coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch football at all but I avidly follow the world cup - I don't know why! :D

I really enjoy watching it- not sure how I managed it but a few tournaments ago I also won the the world cup prediction game when I was working! Lol! Lads weren't happy!! :o:D
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh, takes me back to the last world cup. I said to my boyfriend 'even though I'm not interested I do follow the World Cup'. He was then indignant when he realised I didn't mean that I wanted to watch it continually, all day every day! I wish the matches were during work time - I'd love to skive during the day, but it will just spoil my evenings now.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About six years ago we were on holiday in Croatia during the world cup. The atmosphere in the town was wonderful, all the kids wearing Croatian colours, and just out to enjoy themselves. As in most Med countries I've seen, young people are as likely to be drinking coffee as a (small) glass of beer, slowly.

We were in a local restaurant, and watched one of the matches on TV. When Croatia scored, fireworks went off all over the place. I was even wearing a Croatian baseball cap - only baseball cap I've ever worn.

Alas, Croatia were beaten, by .. err ...another team. Spain, possibly. But there was no trouble, everyone just accepted it had been a good game, and their team had lost.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    No.
    Rugby and cricket enjoyers, not football.

Aren't some games on at daft times, like 11pm?
    If so, I cannot see those appealing to the casual non-fan.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like the OP I don't follow a club but like to watch the odd international game every two or four years.
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't be allowed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am straight on the bandwagon make no mistake :D

The second the trophy is lifted I'll switch over :p
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    Shouldn't be allowed.

What shouldn't be allowed?
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janey_Bee wrote: »
    The World Cup / Euro is the only time I watch football - I don't support a club but for some reason I can get behind a national team. Even though they're all overpaid prats!
    Me too. I think football is a good game but with club sides most games aren't on normal TV and I don't care who wins, or who the players are. I could probably raise enough enthusiasm to watch but I spend enough time in front of the TV anyway.

When our national pride is involved it raises the stakes. Very many people will watch, it'll be big news and I feel more part of it all. Also it'll all be available on TV.

In 1990 I decided to watch only the England games to to support 'our boys' and see how they did. Then I realised that in the groups stage, the other matches affected the outcome for England so I watched those too. Then when I heard news of other exciting matches I started watching any I could.
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    About six years ago we were on holiday in Croatia during the world cup. The atmosphere in the town was wonderful, all the kids wearing Croatian colours, and just out to enjoy themselves. As in most Med countries I've seen, young people are as likely to be drinking coffee as a (small) glass of beer, slowly.

We were in a local restaurant, and watched one of the matches on TV. When Croatia scored, fireworks went off all over the place. I was even wearing a Croatian baseball cap - only baseball cap I've ever worn.

Alas, Croatia were beaten, by .. err ...another team. Spain, possibly. But there was no trouble, everyone just accepted it had been a good game, and their team had lost.
    Not six years! Four or eight perhaps.

You remind me of 1994 when I was in Sierra Leone in West Africa. We were staying in a flat with no television. One Saturday we went to a beach cafe and watched a match surrounded by a crowd of locals. The match was between one remaining African team (Nigeria possibly) and one from Europe. We started cheering when 'we' got the ball while the locals cheered for the African side. There was no animosity but we did start to voice our support rather more quietly!
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am only going to watch Brazil. None of this kick & chase stuff
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I try to follow the World Cup when it comes around although I'm not interested in club football. As usual they'll bang on about 1966 again. The expectations will be OTT with people thinking that we're better than we actually are to the point of entitlement that we should win it.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is going to be really weird one because I'm English and I do follow England play even though I'm not a huge fan of football. My boyfriend is Spanish and goes mad over the football and (quite rightly) slags off the English side which makes me want the team to do better. I've looked at the draw and depending on how we both finish in our groups, we might play each other further along, I just know it's going to happen though.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    How have the non football watchers ended up in the football forum?? :confused:
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »

Mods. Maybe the Rockers.

Trouble is the NFWs won't know where their thread has gone.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Threads like this designed for general discussion really should be left there to get the 'OMG they're moving Corrie for a month' nonsense they deserve.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awright, 'arry? See that ludicrous display last night?
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Mods. Maybe the Rockers.

Trouble is the NFWs won't know where their thread has gone.

*taps nose knowingly*

I was genuinely perplexed how non football fans were browsing the football forum!!

Doh
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just overpaid prix ma doners chasing leather round a field isn't it? It's not as good as FIREMEN AND SOLDIERS, I tell you that much
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »

Exactlly, this thread should have stayed where it was - in GD, wrong move to have it in here.